Thread: Game on

Default Game on

Gentlemen--

Is it really that quiet out there? Are there no fly rodders out tryin' to hook up?

Are we leavin' this all to the bait boys?

I've been out a few times already. Mid north shore of Long Island. Nada, I'll admit. But any day now. Water's warming up. Stripers are certainly on the move.

I run a grounds maintenance operation so, I've got two seasons kicking in: work and pleasure. Until mid-May, when pleasure switches to nights, I'm hard pressed to share the time.

Last year, I wasn't equipped to work the ocean beaches. With my new Albright XX Tabory broom-stick, I think I'm ready. I hope to spend a good amount of time working that open surf. It'll be a big change from the much calmer and much more leisurely north shore.

Had an invitation, recently, to join a friend down in Jersey to get my first taste of striper for the season. He suggested I bring bait. He knows I'll bring flies. This weekend, maybe next.

What about the rest of you fly boys? What are you up to? What are you up to with? And where are you up to it?

Paumanok, I usely start bait fishing mid April, and start Plugging/Fly fishing first week of May.

Fly fishing is something I have never tried and always wanted to learn. Do you know of any good books out there for someone who is just beginning?

Absolutely, katiefishes.

Ed Mitchell's FLY RODDING THE COAST. For its clarity and comprehensiveness. It's almost biblical in its scope. (I had considered stealing the copy my brother-in-law had lent me. But I didn't have the heart to deprive him of such a good book.)

On the freshwater side, (something) Rosenbauer's ORVIS FLY FISHING GUIDE.
    I don't know if it's the best book available, but (when I first used it some decades ago to get my fly fishing bearings) I found it clear, concise and comprehensive.

Of course, the best way to learn to fly fish is to go fly fishing. Naturally, with someone who fly fishes. One caveat: don't mistake enthusiasm for the ability to teach.

The wife of a good friend of mine wanted in a bad way to learn to fly fish. I enthusiastically agreed to take her out. I had an extra fly rod I lent her. We found an easy stretch of water. And I proceeded to show her the fundamentals of casting a fly. We worked on it a bit and just as she was beginning to get it, I said: "It takes practice." I had spied an intriguing run some distance up stream. "So, you practice that for a while. Let me get out of your way." And I headed upstream, while she flailed away. "Don't forget: PAUSE. THEN FOREWARD," I shouted over my shoulder.

About forth-five minutes later, I ambled back to where my friend's wife was still flailing away in precisely the same spot as I'd left her. "I think I got it now," she said, as I approached.

I have never offered to teach anyone to fly fish again.

Good Luck. I know you'll enjoy it. I know you will.

vpass--

Sounds about right. For the two years I've been fly rodding for stripers, first week in May's been when I take my first fish.

A friend of mine owns a bait and tackle shop on the south shore. He concurs: the first stripers are all on bait.

A new friend of mine has invited me down Jersey-way to do some striper fishing (to get a head start on a season that hasn't quite got cranked up here): BRING BAIT.

In spite of the obvious, when I go out, I go out with flies.

Enjoy.

Thanks Paumanok, I will try to get both of those books. I am looking forward to giving it a try.

BTW - Don't worry 45 min. in one spot is not my style. You can't be successful unless you try different spots, angles, and techniques.

Good luck. And good fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by paumanok View Post
    Good luck. And good fishing.
    Early Saturday am......

Quote Originally Posted by paumanok View Post
    Gentlemen--

Are we leavin' this all to the bait boys?

: Gotta love this style of writing, I think you missed your calling in life. You could write for any Saltwater or Fly rodder magazine you wanted to. "Bait boys!!!!!" Them's fightin words, and we call you fly guys, or fly $#@@&*#, and then you catch fish when we can't, and we catch fish when you can't. So goes the circle of life.....

Thanks for the book recommendation just starting to test the waters. Will have to check it out.

I will have to ask the legendary Paumanok to update this thread. In the middle of dark Long Island nights he is quietly becoming one of the best fly fisherman on the Island. He is too reclusive and shy to tell you about himself. Maybe the offer of a fine cigar will entice him????

Mick

It's so nice to hear from ya, Mick!
    Yep...if Paumanok is still doing OK....he truly is legendary....that favorite river he likes to fish has had a lot of changes....guys lament the fishing there is but a shadow of what it used to be....

If he's still catching I imagin he's moving around a lot....
    Please give him my regards when you see him...

I don't have any cigars to offer....but I still have a few boxes of flies he'w welcome to pick through....I'll be glad to bring some for our next meet-up.....

I'm hoping you will see this, as I lost both your numbers when my phone got wet last time....
    Text or PM me anytime......

Hope you and the family are doing OK..
    Great to hear from ya again!