Thread: AI/VA surf fishing report 4/25 & 26

Default AI/VA surf fishing report 4/25 & 26

We'll I had a few friends call tell me they were catching some black drum through the week off of the surf, so we(me,chris jr,hunter, and a friend of mine)had to make a run down.We hit the beach sat 6am, caught skates and dogfish all morning on after another, at a little after 1pm my rod doubles over and after a 20+min battle my first black drum of 09 is on the beach @ 49.5"L(friend took the girth I'll post it later)
    tok some quick pics&measurement and got her back in the water and sent her on her way for someone else to catch again.

Fished until dark sat, and all day sun,along with Morty, his betterhalf & Destiny who came down sun for the day and caught skates and doggies. But had a great time with friends and family..
    I Live and Breath Fishing!!! It dont get any better..

Century Fishing
    AMSA 736
    Eastern Shore Anglers

It was good to wet a line once again, even if I had to weed out the skates for ya

Default Nice

"But had a great time with friends and family.." That says a lot right there, enjoy hearing that. That's a great shot. What rod/reel combo are ya using for the Drum? The reports are great and the pics fantastic, thanks, keep 'em coming.

Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    "But had a great time with friends and family.." That says a lot right there, enjoy hearing that. That's a great shot. What rod/reel combo are ya using for the Drum? The reports are great and the pics fantastic, thanks, keep 'em coming.

Happy Trails
    Thanks, rod & reel was a Penn 525mag (worked) and a 12' OM cape point heaver, spooled with 17# sufix tri plus with a 50# shock leader, and a fish finder rig w/ 8/0 circle hook and clam.

Century Fishing
    AMSA 736
    Eastern Shore Anglers

Default One More Question

RandR, I've never been exposed to the Black Drum, heard many stories. Are you fishing a drop off or do they frequent the skinny water often(open beaches)? Do they usually suck the bait down or mostly lip hooked? Are they ever hooked on plugs? Thanks

Beautiful catch Rnr. I have never seen a drum up our way. How big do they get, that one looks to be around 50 lbs or over.

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    RandR, I've never been exposed to the Black Drum, heard many stories. Are you fishing a drop off or do they frequent the skinny water often(open beaches)? Do they usually suck the bait down or mostly lip hooked? Are they ever hooked on plugs? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by albiealert View Post
    Beautiful catch Rnr. I have never seen a drum up our way. How big do they get, that one looks to be around 50 lbs or over.
    This one was caught off of the bar just off the beach, water depth was maybe 2ft +/- at low tide when this one was caught. He just picked the bait up and swam off with it. All I use is circle hooks so it was hooked in the corner of the mouth, but as big as its mouth was it would probably just inhale a bait.

Weight wise they can upwards of 100#, mine was in the mid to high 60's.

Century Fishing
    AMSA 736
    Eastern Shore Anglers

I know in the Chessey, they get over 100 lbs. We have gotten close to that in the Delaware Bay, but not sure. They are bottom feeders so I don't think plugs will work. We get them pretty regular of the "Coral Beds". They love clams, surf clams, peeler crab will wotk also.

I think the water he was fishing was pretty skinny with a break or two in an outter bar.

Thanks for the replies

RnR, beautiful fish, congrats!

Nice fish man!

RandR that's some incredible fish. I never caught a drum before. How are they for eating?

Spending time with friends and family is what life is all about! Great catch.

Incredible catch, congrats!

Nice work guys. Thanks for sharing.