Thread: Livelining bunker for surf guys

Default Livelining bunker for surf guys

Livelining bunker is a no-brainer, isn't it?

Ya just snag, drop, and get yourself a 40#, right?

If it was that easy, everyone would be carrying keepers on their backs off the beach every time they did it.

I'm happy to have no one catch bass livelining bunker except me, though that would be a little selfish.

My point: doing it wrong just wastes a good bunker, and frustrates the people doing it. It's different from the surf than on a boat.

Firstly, the angle is different, around 15 to 30 degrees, as opposed to a 45 to 60 degree angle from a boat.

There's a whole host of other tactics that willl add to your success. I'll try to add mine when I get achance. In the meantime, I'd like to hear from you surf guys out there, your successes and failures at livelining bunker, and how you learned from them. Thanks.

Here's something to keep in your heads, guys. If you snag bunker a lot, you should be able to feel the weight of one as your bring it in and figger out the relative size, say closer to 8" or closer to 12 or 14". When I have a bigger bunker, I know the bass have to be roughly 20# to inhale one of them. I'll try that for a few minutes. No takers, I bring it in, and I'll use it for a chunk on another rod.

I'll keep snagging when theyre there, and as soon as I get what feels like a smaller one, I'll leave that one out there longer.

You can do the same thing for bunker chunks. If I feel bigger bass are in the area, or weakfish, out goes half a bunker on a hook when I'm chunkin. If I have problems with runoffs and no hookups, I downsize to just a head, or a smaller chunk. I always look for that big bass first.

hey dark we got to hit up some jersey spots let me know man

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Here's something to keep in your heads, guys. If you snag bunker a lot, you should be able to feel the weight of one as your bring it in and figger out the relative size, say closer to 8" or closer to 12 or 14". When I have a bigger bunker, I know the bass have to be roughly 20# to inhale one of them. I'll try that for a few minutes. No takers, I bring it in, and I'll use it for a chunk on another rod.

I'll keep snagging when theyre there, and as soon as I get what feels like a smaller one, I'll leave that one out there longer.

You can do the same thing for bunker chunks. If I feel bigger bass are in the area, or weakfish, out goes half a bunker on a hook when I'm chunkin. If I have problems with runoffs and no hookups, I downsize to just a head, or a smaller chunk. I always look for that big bass first.
    I tried to do this but either there were too many bunker around for the bass to choose from or my guess of the size was always wrong. So what am I doing incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by hookset View Post
    I tried to do this but either there were too many bunker around for the bass to choose from or my guess of the size was always wrong. So what am I doing incorrect?

Just because there's bunker doesn't mean theres fish. Bunker are also chased by small bass and small blues which can't swallow them.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^^ What he said, if you think there are bass under there ask yourself how big they are. Bass need to be over 15# to be able to swallow a whole bunker. When it doubt cut it up and chunk the head, as has been said here.