Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Penny pinchers thread

Default Penny pinchers thread

Times are tough, folks. We are in the midst of a recession, and inflation has not been tamed by the fed. Some of the biggest issues facing consumers are energy prices, rising healthcare costs, and escalating property taxes.

Many people have had enough, and are leaving the Northeast states for states where the cost of living is more reasonable. For those of us who are left behind, I thought I would dedicate a thread to ways people are managing to cope, and any money saving ideas you have started to use.

Any opinions and comments are welcome here, and please let's not pile on someone just because they may mention something unconventional, or it may seem weird to us. (Unless they suggest using less toilet paper, then I think they deserve whatever ribbing they get.)

If this thread generates enough interest, I am thinking of creating a new forum to combine it with the "solar energy solutions" one.

Maybe together we can come up with some decent ideas, or get people to consider different ways of doing things.

ok, I stopped going to starbucks and make my coffee now. I run it through twice cos I'm cheap, and like xtra strong cups

bought some of those cf lightbulbs, they will cut your elec costs.

Don't fall asleep with the TV on.
    Use Coupons.

pinhead44 Guest

"Use Coupons."

I don't eat out much, but if I do, I try to use a coupon for the restaurant.

Pay all credit cards off in full or at least on time.

When buying meat, I always buy in family packs, 3lbs or more. You can sometimes save .50/lb this way. Makes a big difference if you are feeding a few people.

BTW - I was just shopping yesterday, when did porterhouse get to be over $9/lb? I know it was always an expensive cut, but I must have been sleeping for the latest price jumps.

Default 10 Ways to save Energy

10 Ways to save energy and money
    by Lisa Smith
    Thursday, May 22, 2008

1. Use Your Thermostat
    Turning up the temperature during the summer and turning it down during the winter are great strategies for putting your thermostat to work for your wallet. The DOE recommends setting the air conditioner at 74 degrees and the furnace at 68 to keep your house comfortable while reducing your energy costs and decreasing the demand on the energy grid.

A programmable thermostat lets you make the house hotter or cooler during periods when you aren't home. This reduces the temperature difference between the exterior and interior of your house, which in turn reduces energy loss. If you don't have a programmable thermostat, you can manually adjust your existing unit.

2. Ceiling Fans
    If you have ceiling fans in your house, turn them on and use them properly. According to Energy Star, a voluntary labeling program sponsored by the DOE and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), ceiling fans should be set to spin counter-clockwise in the summer, which pulls hot air up to the ceiling and away from the living space. In the winter, reverse the setting so the fans blow the hot air down.

3. Energy Star Appliances
    Energy Star also identifies energy-efficient appliances, including washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, dehumidifiers, room air conditioners, computers and more.

When you are shopping for new appliances, look for the Energy Star label and you can rest assured that the items you are purchasing will go a long way toward saving you some cash. The point here is to not increase the use of these items just because they are energy savers. This is much the same as concept low-fat food: consuming more defeats the purpose.

4. Home Electronics
    Stereos, DVD players, televisions, kitchen appliances, and any other plugged-in appliances draw a small amount of power even when turned off. Large LCD and plasma televisions consume up to 400 watts of energy when in use and about four watts when not in use, according to the British Broadcasting Corporation.

Use the surge suppressor to turn them completely off when not in use, or unplug these items until you really need them.

5. Energy-Efficient Light Bulbs
    A quick and easy way to reduce your energy use is to replace existing incandescent lights with energy-efficient compact fluorescent lights.

According to General Electric (NYSE:GE), compact fluorescent bulbs "use two-thirds less energy than standard incandescent light bulbs, and last up to 10-times longer."

GE reports that using a 13-watt compact fluorescent in place of a 60-watt incandescent will result in a $30 savings in energy costs over the life of the bulb.

Regardless of the bulbs that you use, turn them off when you leave the room. For laundry rooms, garages, basements and other little-used areas, consider the installation of timers that automatically turn off the lights after a preset amount of time - just in case you forget to shut them off.

6. Conserve Water
    Low-flow fixtures that conserve water are available for your shower, faucets and toilets. In addition to installing these items, be sure to replace faucets that drip, fix toilets that leak and turn off the spigot when brushing your teeth or scrubbing dishes.

Every drop of water that you save contributes to conservation of this valuable resource - and we're talking water here, not only money.

7. Seal and Insulate
    A well-insulated house reduces the amount of money you will spend on heating and cooling. Start by checking out your attic. If your attic is unfinished, you shouldn't be able to see the floor joists. If you can see them, add more insulation.

Also, be sure to fill in and seal any holes in your exterior walls, such as where pipes come into the house and around windows and doors. Wrap your hot water heater and exposed pipes with insulation to help them maintain the proper temperature.

8. Change/Empty Your Filters
    Change the filter on your furnace on a frequent basis. Many furnace manufacturers recommend doing it quarterly or even monthly to keep the unit operating at peak efficiency.

Similarly, empty the lint filter on your dryer after every use. Even a small amount of lint reduces energy efficiency.

9. Close the Doors and More
    Don't waste energy. Close the doors on your refrigerator and house as quickly as possible. Keep fireplace dampers shut when not in use. Close the curtains to cover your windows at night. All of these little efforts help to conserve energy by preventing heat loss.

10. Use Your Surroundings
    Strategically placed trees can help to reduce your heating and cooling costs. During the summer, trees provide shade. During the winter, trees provide a windbreak. Positioning large deciduous trees in the right places can reduce cooling costs up to 25%, according to the DOE.

These deciduous trees should be planted on the south and west sides of your home and strategically positioned to shade hard surfaces, including driveways and patios, to maximize their impact. Because they lose their leaves in winter, they allow the sun to warm your house. Evergreen trees planted on the north side of your home will help to shield the house from cold winds in every season.

Small Steps Lead to Big Savings
    Saving energy conserves valuable resources and saves money. Do your part to make energy conservation a habit; it's a move with positive implications for both the environment and your wallet.

pinhead44 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunkerjoe4 View Post
    10 Ways to save energy and money
    by Lisa Smith
    Thursday, May 22, 2008

2. Ceiling Fans
    If you have ceiling fans in your house, turn them on and use them properly. According to Energy Star, a voluntary labeling program sponsored by the DOE and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), ceiling fans should be set to spin counter-clockwise in the summer, which pulls hot air up to the ceiling and away from the living space. In the winter, reverse the setting so the fans blow the hot air down.

Small Steps Lead to Big Savings
    Saving energy conserves valuable resources and saves money. Do your part to make energy conservation a habit; it's a move with positive implications for both the environment and your wallet.

Bet many people didn't know this.

Toilet leaks: had a bad seal in toilet of a rental house. Tenants told me about it, but it involved rebuilding the toilet, so I put it off. They didn't complain any more, since we pay for the water.

Recently fixed it, and am saving about $30/month on the water bill. Most likely because of that toilet. Running toilets = throwing money in the garbage.

Go to Tokyo, find a Japanese man who is not too bright, live in his closet, and only come out when he is at work. 2 CAN live as cheaply as one.

I make my own ice, and put it in gallon ziplock freezer bags, filling them completely with water after dumping the cubes in there.

Quote Originally Posted by clamchucker View Post
    I make my own ice, and put it in gallon ziplock freezer bags, filling them completely with water after dumping the cubes in there.
    Do ya save your campfire from one day to the next and bring it inside with ya too, clamchucker? Just bustin ya, I make my own ice too, especially during fishin season. Sometimes, even freeze it in the freezer in 5 gallon buckets.

Default free samples

Ask your doctor for free samples. Pharmaceutical companies flood doctors with samples of all kinds of expensive prescriptions. If your doctor doesn't offer, ask.

We skip the movie theater and wait for films to hit our local rental store.

Quote Originally Posted by strikezone31 View Post
    Ask your doctor for free samples. Pharmaceutical companies flood doctors with samples of all kinds of expensive prescriptions. If your doctor doesn't offer, ask.
    as you get older, you will realize how important this is. My biggest expenses, after fishing and gas, are pharmacy expenses. Even with a good plan, you always are spending more than you thought.

We recycle my ziploc baggies whenever possible (I don't if they've had meat in them, though, or something really smelly). We just wash them with the dishes and dry them. Plastic bags are expensive and this saves some bucks.

We don't eat out anymore. We used to eat out two to three times a week.

We also have a large garden. Saves lots of $

Don't run the dishwasher until it is full.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast