Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NY fishing reports for May 2009

Jbay last night, fished from shore, nothing but bunker, coming through by the 100's, not many fish caught, but they did get some large bluefish. I met a newbie who just started pluggin a few days ago. Other than snagging bunker, it was pretty slow, so I decided to give the dude a few lessons, pointers. He did ok, even had a rubber jig out there for more than 10 mins without hanging up. Nice to meet ya, man, hope you got into fish this morning.

Jbay today, 9am - 4pm. Wanted to avoid the boat traffic where everyone was fishing the usual hyped up area. Set out at a different launch, met up with another kayaker about 1 1/2 miles from the launch (lucky for me! )

He knew that water, and we fished it together for awhile until he had to leave. He got 2 bass, 6 bluefish using chartreuse shads. I got one bass, one bluefish, on a pink fin-s.

There was either a grass shrimp hatch or there were small spearing/baitfish in the flats areas. There were also pods of bunker moving through periodically. One pod, in the thousands, was alike a wall of moving water. They moved too fast and I couldn't keep up. So we focused our attention on the sporadically working birds and the small bait.

After he left, I pulled onto a sedgebank to take a leak. I picked that one because it had current moving past it. Before pushing off again, I decided to work the water with an Ace baits medic super spook. From the 2nd cast on, I was into fish for the next 3 hours of the outgoing until slack tide.

Total for that pit stop, one bass around 26", 35-40 bluefish landed 7-13lbs, and at least twice that many strikes that didn't result in hookups. I had a blast fighting those angry fat bluefish, really enjoyed myself!

Backside of Jones this morning, pretty windy, but bearable. 3 short bass on clams.

Fished GSB on the incoming today. It was windy, got 3 short bass on a pencil, and quite a few big blues.

RM area out front today for an hour. One bass 22" on a bucktail with porkrind. I did see birds working bait, but they were too far off.

A NS bay area early AM, 3 schoolies to 25", dannies and chicken scratch bombers.

I go out last Sat after work and caught 16 Blues in Peconic Bay. Kept 5 for the smokehouse. Sunday Morning I tried Moriches Bay, but the wind and dirty water hampered my efforts I raised no fish.
    This morning I fished another spot in Moriches and landed 6 Stripers on topwater plugs. I also dropped a large fish at my feet. I fished from 5:30 till 6:45.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5090002.jpg   P5110005.jpg  

P5110007.jpg   P5110012.jpg  

P5110013.jpg  

Great pics, jimbob, especially the sunrise. Never had smoked bluefish before, they say smoking them takes the oily taste away? Nice report.

I went out this afternoon to Moriches Bay the wind was east at 10mph mostly cloudy. I caught 2 small Bass on a creek chub popper and Zara spook. I had some other hits the tide was low and incomming, not the best tide for this spot.
    Darkskies, Smoked bluefish is really good, I think that the fact that they are oily is good for smoking as it really holds the smoke flavor. thanks for the interest in the pictures I will try to keep them comming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5120001.jpg   P5120002.jpg  

P5120004.jpg   P5120005.jpg  

Those are great pics Jimbob! Looks like you have had a awesome run this week. I fished GSB but got Just wasn't my night.

JimBob, you have a great eye for framing the picture, that's most of the battle in picture composition101. I can't wait to see what any videos you might take will look like. I already started taking videos, but I really suck at it so far. Have to keep my hand steady and learn not to insert my crazy comments when I'm havin a gooood time fishin. Silence is golden!

Back side of gsb last night, I don't know where the fish were, but they weren't there. Bucks, shads, bombers, swimmers.

I went out to a Moriches back bay spot yesterday morning and this morning before work I caught 3 short Bass yesterday on topwater. I caught 5 Stripers this morning 2 of which were keepers of 28" and 30" all on topwater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5140003.jpg   P5140006.jpg  

P5140007.jpg   P5150001.jpg  

P5150002.jpg   P5150004.jpg  

more picts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5150006.jpg   P5150007.jpg  

P5150012_00011.jpg   P5150012_00013.jpg  

jimbob you're like a press photographer that focuses on bass! Great pix, I really like that one of the bass in the water and the other one with the mouth open. Thanks for sharing. I fished the back side of jones this morning, last of the outgoing. Foggy, but the wind wasn't too bad for that location. One bass 24", bucktail.

NS this morning, incoming tide, 1 bass a little over keeper, released, and one more that was in pre-school, about 14"Schoolbus bomber. It seems like the water coooled down a few degrees.
    Those are incredible pics, Jimbob, the one with the bass in the front and sunrise in the back looks suitable for framing. Keep em comin.

Nice reports, DarkSkies
    fish today in Floyd Bennett Field start at 6:40 am
    all day, one bass 27 in, 4 blues,
    I did get the bass with one of my lures, happpyyyyy,
    good luck all

Thankyou for the comments on the pictures. I have more.
    I went out to Moriches today at dawn I caught 4 Stripers one 34" that took a Zara Spook. At 8 A.M. I went to a spot on the ocean and threw pencils for an hour I raised one fish but no takers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5170001.jpg   P5170002.jpg  

P5170003.jpg   P5170004.jpg  

P5170007.jpg  

Hit the slack and the first 30 minutes of outgoing at a Long Beach spot, one bass 26", bucktail and porkrind, and 2 bluefish, around 5 pounds each. Beautiful weather today. jimbob nice looking bass across the cooler. Those are some amazing pictures you are putting up, thanks for posting. brasilva, I heard it was slow fishing there Saturday, nice report and welcome to the site.

Another beautiful sunrise in Long Beach. 2 short bass to 24", Spro bucktail with white rind trailer. It was such a beautiful day I wanted to call in sick and play hooky, but I couldn't.

GSB, a runt bass on a chartreuse shad, then I switched to bucktail when the bluefish started, 3 bluefish. We are headed for an incredible weekend weather wise, guys. Let's hope the fshing is good as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast