Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no see ums and nasty bugs

Default no see ums and nasty bugs

The time of year is coming where ticks, mosquitoes, gnats and other annoying insects will be present. What is the best type of repellent that you use? Does anyone still use products with Deet in it?

Skinner, IMO not much you can do to repel ticks, they cling on me even when I use the spray. Back bay places are full of them. Right now the tick population is blooming, so check yourself every time when coming out of there.

As for the other ones, I like 100% deet, or even something as low as 21%, if you spray it all over. Come summer, there are some places and points of land where the mosquitoes and flies are unbearable. I kinda like it that way, it keeps the human traffic down.

Cover up with that stuff. Bear in mind it can ruin the fabric on some wetsuits and outdoor gear, so read the instructions first.

A few years ago I started using Crocodile Insect repellent, it's great it works well but is kind of oily. It does not contain Deet. Although it works really well to keep bugs away from you Deet is uncomfortable to wear and it melts plastic on contact I wonder what it does to us. I have tried other products that don't contain Deet but they were less than perfect.

I use outdoor critters or Avon skin so soft. A lot of guys make fun of the Avon product but it works wonders.

for some reason the skin so soft never worked for me. i tried the cabela's bug repellent long johns but those didn't work. as a matter of fact, i got tore up the worst ever by chiggers wearing those dang things. they ain't cheap either.

the guys down here swear by those electronic gizmos. i forget the name.

i usually use deet but i'm going coyote hunting this weekend and gotta be scent free. sure hope it's still too early for chiggers. those things are 2 weeks of pure hell if you run into a bunch of them.

I use cabela's bug repellent. I carry a can with me every time I go out.

Cabela's isn't working any more. The mosquitoes and salt and pepper specks are terrible in the back bays this year. I need to find me one of these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3114gMosquito_camo_1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	7052

A big fat cigar a good slow burner don't leave home without them I think the bug spray kills us not them cigars are probably safer than deet.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    A big fat cigar a good slow burner don't leave home without them I think the bug spray kills us not them cigars are probably safer than deet.
    maybe?

Jul 1, 2009 11:45 pm US/Eastern
    Debunking The Myths About Deet, Bug Spray

Health Officials Warn Wet June Weather Will Lead To Big Crop Of Mosquitoes Later In The Summer

Reporting
    Kirstin Cole
    NEW YORK (CBS) ―
    Click to enlarge

Mothers like Wendi Neulight are rather paranoid when it comes to protecting their children from mosquitoes.

"If I could put (my daughter) in a bubble, I would," Neulight said. "But that's not realistic. I'm concerned about bug bites. I hate getting bug bites myself."

The Health Department has warned that the wet, soggy weather New York experienced in June will produce a bumper crop of mosquitoes in July in August – and that could lead to an increase in cases of the West Nile Virus.

But Neulight believes that seeking protection from the bugs can often be difficult due to the plethora of sprays and creams available.

Entomologist Dr. Rosemarie Kelly told CBS 2 HD most bug sprays generally do a good job of keeping the mosquitoes away.

"You wear repellent, you're actually keeping the mosquito from biting you," Kelly said. "So that's the first line of defense."

The most-commonly used insect repellents tend to contain chemicals like Deet. These have been proven to work, but their safety has come under scrutiny in recent years.

Kelly feels many Americans use products containing Deet rather recklessly.

"The problems come in with people using it off label," Kelly said. "Or else over-using it, spraying children without regard to the fact that kids put their hands in their mouths, or getting it in their eyes."

The Environmental Protection Agency's Web site has stated the organization's position on Deet, which reads, "as long as consumers follow label directions, insect repellents do not present a health concern."

But a number of new, organic bug repellents are being marketed as safer alternatives to the common chemical. Many are plant-based and contain ingredients like oil of lemon eucalyptus – which Kelly says is natural, but not necessarily safer than Deet.

"You can't run out to your natural food store and buy Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus," Kelly said. "That's not the product that works, and you're asking for skin irritation."

Kelly added that shoppers looking for organic insect repellents should look for the active ingredient PMD, which is a chemical derived from Eucalyptus Oil. PMD, along with an ingredient called Picardin, have both been proven to work.

"Picaridin is also very effective," Kelly said. "It's labeled for use in children three years and older."

Picardin, which was first approved for use in Europe, is said to be odorless and colorless, as well as less-sticky and easier on clothes than Deet.

Pediatricians recommend avoiding the use of Deet products on children under 2 months old, while the EPA has stated consumers should only buy repellents it has previously approved.

For more on pesticides and insect repellents, please click here and here.

http://wcbstv.com/local/deet.repelle...2.1067956.html

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    Although it works really well to keep bugs away from you Deet is uncomfortable to wear and it melts plastic on contact I wonder what it does to us. .
    I wonder about Deet too. Last night I tried some shore fishing and the bugs were out of control. If anyone has any home made remedies or thoughts on what works for them I would appreciate them, thanks.

My uncle told me garlic, but you're supposed to rub it or garlic oil on your arms and face. Maybe he was pulling my leg, I didn't try it yet.

Default some info on DEET

Be careful with that stuff, they show damage from long-term exposure.

News / Insect Repellents / DEET Info

Use Caution When Using DEET

Every year, approximately one-third of the U.S. population uses insect repellants containing DEET to ward off mosquitoes and other pests. At present, DEET is used in more than 230 products with concentrations up to 100 percent.
    However, DEET should be used with caution due to its possible damaging effects on brain cells. Studies have shown that DEET causes brain cell death and behavioral changes in rats after frequent and prolonged use. This exposure causes neurons to die in regions of the brain that control muscle movement, learning, memory, and concentration. Rats treated with an average human dose of DEET (40 mg/kg body weight) performed far worse when challenged with physical tasks requiring muscle control, strength and coordination. These findings are consistent with reported human symptoms following DEET's use by the military in the Persian Gulf War.
    With heavy exposure to DEET and other insecticides, humans may experience memory loss, headache, weakness, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, tremors and shortness of breath. These symptoms may not be evident until months or even years after exposure. The most severe damage occurs when DEET is used concurrently with other insecticides, such as permethrin, for prolonged and frequent periods of time. At this time, there is little information about the short-term, singular and occasional use of DEET. Further government testing of the chemical's safety is necessary. However, frequent and long-term use of DEET, especially in combination with other chemicals or medications, could cause brain deficits in vulnerable populations, particularly children.
    Until further studies are done, it is important to be cautious when using this insecticide:
    Use insecticides containing DEET sparingly and infrequently. If you do use one on your skin, avoid wearing it for prolonged periods of time.
    Be wary of using insect repellant containing DEET on children. Children are more susceptible to subtle brain changes caused by chemicals in their environment because their skin more readily absorbs them. Also, their still-developing nervous systems are more potently affected. For the same reasons,
    NEVER use insect repellant containing DEET on infants.
    Be aware that DEET can be present in commonly used preparations like insecticide-based lice-killing shampoos. Use the same precautions with such preparations as you would with insect repellant.
    Do not combine insecticides with each other or use them while using other medications. Even an over-the-counter antihistamine could interact with DEET to cause toxic side effects.
    Do not spray your yard for insects and then take medications afterward. There is a possibility that you've inhaled a small amount of the insecticide that might interact negatively with the medication. Also, be sure to wash your skin thoroughly after spraying your yard. Lawn treatment chemicals are very strong and were not formulated to be applied to human skin.
    From the Duke University Medical Center News Office
    The Dangers of DEET
    From This week on MedMinute, a service of Duke University News.

Use caution when using insect repellents containing DEET.
    Every year, approximately one-third of Americans use insect repellents containing the insecticide DEET. Duke University Medical Center pharmacologist Mohamed Abou-Donia has spent 30 years researching the effects of pesticides. He has found that prolonged exposure to DEET can impair functioning in parts of the brain.
    "Damage to these areas could result in problems with muscle coordination, muscle weakness, walking or even memory and cognition."
    Abou-Donia says rats given even small doses of DEET for 60 days had a harder time accomplishing even the easiest tasks.

Abou-Donia says short-term exposure to DEET does not appear to be harmful, but warns against using any product with more than a 30 percent concentration. Use as little of the product as you can, and don't use a product containing DEET if you're taking any medication.

"We found that the combined exposure to DEET and other chemicals is more dangerous than just DEET alone."
    Abou-Donia also warns to never put a product containing DEET on an infant's or child's skin. The side-effects could be even more serious. I'm Cabell Smith for MedMinute. From the Duke University Medical Center News Office

http://www.quantumhealth.com/news/dangers_of_DEET.html

Default Re: some info on DEET

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post

Abou-Donia says short-term exposure to DEET does not appear to be harmful, but warns against using any product with more than a 30 percent concentration. Use as little of the product as you can, and don't use a product containing DEET if you're taking any medication.

"We found that the combined exposure to DEET and other chemicals is more dangerous than just DEET alone."
    Abou-Donia also warns to never put a product containing DEET on an infant's or child's skin. The side-effects could be even more serious. I'm Cabell Smith for MedMinute. From the Duke University Medical Center News Office

http://www.quantumhealth.com/news/dangers_of_DEET.html
    Thanks for the info. I have been using deet spray because the bugs are so bad this year.

Default Re: no see ums and nasty bugs

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    My uncle told me garlic, but you're supposed to rub it or garlic oil on your arms and face. Maybe he was pulling my leg, I didn't try it yet.
    that works at night for the skeeters if they are not that bad Those greenhead flies in the day are relentless. Only way I know to keep them off is with deet.

I have used the Avon Skin So Soft the last few years and it has worked great for me. I put lots on my face, ears and neck.
    But wear long sleeves and covered legs.
    Also for my hands I take latex gloves and cut out the fingers and wear them, without that I have had them target the hand "ouch" and leaves red marks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PROD_1011302_LG.gif 
Views:	24 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	15333
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

* Thats a great tip monty. Have to try it on the boat. The skeeters and flies you can get rid of but the no see ums will cling to your skin like crazy glue. They are iirritating as heck!

Try brown listerine in a spray bottle. My uncle spent a lot of time on the water and swore by it.

cactus juice works too. Think they have it in some GNC stores.

We spray the listerine on. Seems to work ok until you sweat it off. then re-apply

A big old cigar always helped me and keeps everybody else away fro me too.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast