Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
A big fat cigar a good slow burner don't leave home without them I think the bug spray kills us not them cigars are probably safer than deet.
maybe?

Jul 1, 2009 11:45 pm US/Eastern
Debunking The Myths About Deet, Bug Spray

Health Officials Warn Wet June Weather Will Lead To Big Crop Of Mosquitoes Later In The Summer

Reporting
Kirstin Cole
NEW YORK (CBS) ―
Click to enlarge

Mothers like Wendi Neulight are rather paranoid when it comes to protecting their children from mosquitoes.

"If I could put (my daughter) in a bubble, I would," Neulight said. "But that's not realistic. I'm concerned about bug bites. I hate getting bug bites myself."

The Health Department has warned that the wet, soggy weather New York experienced in June will produce a bumper crop of mosquitoes in July in August – and that could lead to an increase in cases of the West Nile Virus.

But Neulight believes that seeking protection from the bugs can often be difficult due to the plethora of sprays and creams available.

Entomologist Dr. Rosemarie Kelly told CBS 2 HD most bug sprays generally do a good job of keeping the mosquitoes away.

"You wear repellent, you're actually keeping the mosquito from biting you," Kelly said. "So that's the first line of defense."

The most-commonly used insect repellents tend to contain chemicals like Deet. These have been proven to work, but their safety has come under scrutiny in recent years.

Kelly feels many Americans use products containing Deet rather recklessly.

"The problems come in with people using it off label," Kelly said. "Or else over-using it, spraying children without regard to the fact that kids put their hands in their mouths, or getting it in their eyes."

The Environmental Protection Agency's Web site has stated the organization's position on Deet, which reads, "as long as consumers follow label directions, insect repellents do not present a health concern."

But a number of new, organic bug repellents are being marketed as safer alternatives to the common chemical. Many are plant-based and contain ingredients like oil of lemon eucalyptus – which Kelly says is natural, but not necessarily safer than Deet.

"You can't run out to your natural food store and buy Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus," Kelly said. "That's not the product that works, and you're asking for skin irritation."

Kelly added that shoppers looking for organic insect repellents should look for the active ingredient PMD, which is a chemical derived from Eucalyptus Oil. PMD, along with an ingredient called Picardin, have both been proven to work.

"Picaridin is also very effective," Kelly said. "It's labeled for use in children three years and older."

Picardin, which was first approved for use in Europe, is said to be odorless and colorless, as well as less-sticky and easier on clothes than Deet.

Pediatricians recommend avoiding the use of Deet products on children under 2 months old, while the EPA has stated consumers should only buy repellents it has previously approved.

For more on pesticides and insect repellents, please click here and here.

http://wcbstv.com/local/deet.repelle...2.1067956.html