Thread: Can the fish cleaning wait

Default Can the fish cleaning wait

Sometimes after a long night of fishing I feel to beat to clean and fillet the striper. I have always been afraid it would go bad if I just stuck it in the frigerator until tomorrow. Has anyone ever tried to bleed the fish then bag it until tomorrow?

Default clean

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    Sometimes after a long night of fishing I feel to beat to clean and fillet the striper. I have always been afraid it would go bad if I just stuck it in the frigerator until tomorrow. Has anyone ever tried to bleed the fish then bag it until tomorrow?
    Hi Seamonkey,

I don't bleed fish at all and most times I leave the fish in a bag on the bottom shelf of my fridge up to 2 days uncleaned.
    bass stay VERY well just gotta keep them cold,the bottom is the coldest in the fridge.
    I push it to the back where it semi freezes.been doing it for years with no problem.
    never had any problem at all.

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    Hi Seamonkey,

I don't bleed fish at all and most times I leave the fish in a bag on the bottom shelf of my fridge up to 2 days uncleaned.
    bass stay VERY well just gotta keep them cold,the bottom is the coldest in the fridge.
    I push it to the back where it semi freezes.been doing it for years with no problem.
    never had any problem at all.

R-P
    No offense R-P, but you can't be married if you're doing that, can you?

I have kept fish on ice in my cooler and cleaned it the next day after work and I have never had a problem with Striped Bass. I have found that if I do that with Porgies the meat is a bit mushy but still good. I don't believe I would try it with Bluefish, but it might be ok.

I like to bleed fish because with some of the oilier ones I feel it makes the meat more tasty having been bled like that. I think rp and others made a good point that it's not as critical with bass. The key is to keep that meat cold, however you do it. Fresh ice, and lots of it until you can fillet it out.

I wrap mine in foil and leave on the top shelf of my frig until the next day. I have never had any problem. Well unless I don't wrap it too well and it leaks all over.