Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The life of a nomad, tips for on the road fishin

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Feta and fromunda? I think Dark is just trying to lose weight and make a salad.
    Would you like some smegma for your dressing, sir?

You guys are raunchy! Funny as hell tho. Hell, I was conteplating a trip to Island Beach state park, so that would qualify me as a nomad as well. Ihear it has slowed down so for me it wouldn't be worth the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    ^^
    Which one would most closely resemble dark?

I think this one covers it best, dark. He exits a public bathroom after sleeping there, at 1:25.
    He looks for swans to eat at 2:00.
    Sound like anyone you know?

Classically funny!

Default Nomad food for survival....

You people really are a bunch o mooks. Especially with the bathroom and swans...bababooey ya got me!

Ain't ya's ever heard of camping? I been camping in the woods at night since I was 12, first with the Boys' Club, and then on my own...used to spend all my 4 day weekends in Split Rock Reservoir, with a bunch of "survivalist" dudes I got to meet , good times. Some of the best mini-vacations I ever took.

The hobo stuff is too funny, people. Very ironic that you would say that.
    I found some prickly pears in IBSP, tasted them, had a snack, and brought some home for Pebbles to try....she tried one, then spit it out saying they had too many pits... What's a few pits if your survival is at stake....
    So she said to me, "Dark you are getting to be like a hobo!"

I guess posting these pics won't make the ball busting any better...but I really don't care... ...and the prickly pears are quite good, sweet and tasty...

but make sure you wash them before you eat em, as they have some spurs on them that can irritate your skin and mouth....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0092.JPG   IMGP0090.jpg  

IMGP0093.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I found some prickly pears in IBSP, tasted them, had a snack, and brought some home for Pebbles to try....she tried one, then spit it out saying they had too many pits... What's a few pits if your survival is at stake....
    So she said to me, "Dark you are getting to be like a hobo!"
    DS the survivalist - Dark I want to send a tape of you in the woods to the outdoor network, maybe you could be a star. First you have to eat one of these - are you in?

Ooooh that is so gross!

Yeah ds you could eat one of those bugs and film it, have west wind wally narrate, that would be funny as heck!

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    DS the survivalist - Dark I want to send a tape of you in the woods to the outdoor network, maybe you could be a star. First you have to eat one of these - are you in?

I'll put up $20 if he does it and gets it on film. That bug is nasty.

I'll add $10 to that 20. Next up, dark shows us how to eat pine trees, yum yum.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Steve, I'll eat half a sandworm, a big juicy one, if you'll eat the other half at the same time....

Let me know when you're ready....
    Thanks for the laughs, guys, funny stuff...I think ya's overdid it with the tree bark, though...

Sorry Dark, I ain't eating a sandworm, that's foul beyond belief. You win by default, brother.

^^ OK Steve, but anytime ya want to give sandworm eating a shot, let me know....

Quote Originally Posted by mick2360 View Post
    Just a point of etiquette, Dark: Is it okay to lather up and shave after taking a nap and a dump in a construction site port a potty?

Mick, get wit the program!

Some points for review...
    1. It is ok to take a nap in a port a potty, assuming it has been freshly serviced and you are one of the first 3 people to use it...

2. The lather up and shaving may not be done in the port a pottys, any true fishing nomad would know that....

3. For the bathing and washing of the stinking areas (armpits, orifices, etc), the best places for that are the large WaWas, bathrooms are usually clean first thing in the morning..... or the local CVS...their bathrooms are barely used by the public and are a pleasure to clean up in...if you're washing your head in the sink there, make sure you clean up after yourself and get er done in a hurry....

4. Small grocery stores are ok as well, but watch youself in the ghetto grocery stores around Jamaica bay, as has been discussed earlier in the thread.
    Wal-marts are ok if in a pinch, but IMO most Wal-Mart bathrooms have very high traffic, and are pretty disgusting, even for me....

So...low traffic = low germs...
    Hope that helped, bro....

For those who need further clarification, I may be putting together a seminar series this winter....

Will that seminar series be held in a Mr. John, standing room only?

^
    Hobo Dark!

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    Will that seminar series be held in a Mr. John, standing room only?
    You shouldn't have suggested that, he might actully consider it!

^^ OK Steve, but anytime ya want to give sandworm eating a shot, let me know....

3. For the bathing and washing of the stinking areas (armpits, orifices, etc), the best places for that are the large WaWas, bathrooms are usually clean first thing in the morning..... or the local CVS...their bathrooms are barely used by the public
    Way TMI
    If I am ever in Jersey when they have sand worms in the shops, I'll take ya up on that one.

Some points for review...
    1. It is ok to take a nap in a port a potty, assuming it has been freshly serviced and you are one of the first 3 people to use it...

I dunno, when I'm tired I just take a nap in my truck - just saying.

DS mottos=

everynight all night keeps my numbers up

nothing sleeps like a car seat

wind and rain is a soapless shower

oh thank heaven for 7/11
    home cooking gotta have my WAWA

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    DS mottos=

everynight all night keeps my numbers up

nothing sleeps like a car seat

wind and rain is a soapless shower

oh thank heaven for 7/11
    home cooking gotta have my WAWA

Just wanted to thank you for that, ya grouch!
    You're a poet, and don't even know it....

^^ I hear ya, FishinMission....not many people would think it's acceptable to take a nap in a porta-john....but when I'm tired I can sleep anywhere, even on a rocky trail or crime-ridden beach.....thanks for the opinion....

Nomad travels....
    I may not be doing much of it this year because of the high price of gas and tolls...
    I'll periodically be jumping in here though, with my nomad thoughts and experiences....
    Anyone else who's out there traveling from one place to another to fish, feel free to jump in with your thoughts and hints...

The lastest thoughts I had were after spending a few nights regularly fishing cold Spring waters in the kayak....

I fished the jetties a lot in the Winter, Air temps as low as 22 degrees.... Water temps as low as 43....
    The thing about that, is I was less exposed to the cold as every part of my body had at least 3 layers on.
    Now that I'm out in the yak, I wear less layers in case the worst happens and I have to go swimming to self-rescue.
    Yes I always have a PFD on...
    but if there is too much clothing that can drag you down, even with a PFD.
    Or, fighting to stay afloat can sap more of your energy than you think, thereby cutting down on survival time.

As a result, I'm usually in situations where I'm wet, and cold, for several hours.
    Wet cold is much less manageable than dry cold.

As I've been fishing a lot lately, when I get home I don't always have time to shower before work.
    Last night was my first shower in 2 days.
    Instead of a shower, I took a tub bath, something that as a guy, I don't get into too much anymore (Real men only take showers, tub baths are for sissies.... )

I gotta tell ya's taking that tub bath, in the hot scalding water, and using soap on every part of my body, it was just great....one of the pleasures in life that doesn't cost that much,,,other than the cost to heat the water...and when you are cold, deep down to your bones....it's pure heaven.

^^

I've been fishing a lot lately, when I get home I don't always have time to shower before work.
    Last night was my first shower in 2 days.
    Instead of a shower, I took a tub bath,
    taking that tub bath, in the hot scalding water,

This causes a chum slick in his case,and must smell like the bilge of a boat. To amuse yourself while you soak do you fart and bite at the bubbles???????????????

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast