Thread: Simple Fishing Hand Line

Default Simple Fishing Hand Line

We All Like Fishing When we Can, To make my day as Full as I can and Increase the things I enjoy. Riding My Motorbike into the countryside and visiting the Harbour at Eyemouth, And having the Mp3 Player stuck in my Ears. I enjoy my Music. So in the light of that I cast my Thoughts into making a Simple Hand Line to carry along with me. A Survival Tool if you wish!
    Simply a piece of MDF or Plywood Cut to shape as in the Photo Image. and armoured with whatever type of nylon you wish to use. A few Worms in a Tin or a Bread Roll will suffice as your Offering.
    Dangling over the pier or low bridge will usually yeild results. even if you wish to cast. Your Arm is your rod. And casting is a simple matter of Taking out a good length of line and rolling the Cast on 3 or four fingers.With the Worms attached as your Weight! You simply throw it out with an over arm cast. It done correctly it will unfold in the air without getting into a tangle. Even Trot your worms down a Stream or River. But Above all Enjoy your sport as Much as You can and add other things you enjoy during your day. After Fishing it's off to the Fish & Chip Shop,for a nice wee snack. then back on the road to enjoy the journey home on the Bike. So making my day as full and rewarding as I possibly can. We are all Bound to the Sands of Time Trickling By.
    But also please return your catch for future generations of Anglers.
    TIGHT LINES ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by LEON View Post
    We All Like Fishing When we Can, To make my day as Full as I can and Increase the things I enjoy. Riding My Motorbike into the countryside and visiting the Harbour at Eyemouth, And having the Mp3 Player stuck in my Ears. I enjoy my Music. So in the light of that I cast my Thoughts into making a Simple Hand Line to carry along with me. A Survival Tool if you wish!
    ..... So making my day as full and rewarding as I possibly can. We are all Bound to the Sands of Time Trickling By.
    But also please return your catch for future generations of Anglers.
    TIGHT LINES ALL.

Leon, you said in the description you that can be made out of MDF or something else. What did you make that one in the photo out of? You have an interesting way of describing a fishing trip, almost like an article in a fishing magazine. Good writing, thanks for sharing.

G'Day Captain

The One that I have in the Photo Image is made from MDF. The Shape is Important as well as the Smoothness of Finishing the MDF with very fine Sand Paper, So that the Line gets a smooth Run-Off when you are playing a Fish.and is a simple twist to lock the fish into a holding position to keep the tension on as you would with a Rod. Your arm is your rod therefore the principle is the same to use it like a spring.

However anyone with a degree of Logic lurking in the ol gray matter in the loft. Will appreciate from experience.That Certain Rules must be employed while using the hand line.

Firstly Always just use Nylon that is NOT to Strong like 10lb or so.keep it to 4/6lb. As you may well use it on a High Bridge or Pier and you can understand the implications hoisting a large fish to Unhook it. Again Logic dictates that Care and Thought must be employed,and don't choose a high bridge of say 20 feet or so. Otherwise Returning a Fish, And Newtons Law Of Gravity will kill the fish Going South like a Balistic Anvil.

Another Rule is to use Soft Wire Hooks,Such as The "Gold" Kamasan B100G (Gold) Size 10. These are very soft and will straighten with a good jerk. And I personally "Always" Use Barbless hooks no matter what Species of Fish I am Targeting. (There is no POINT in using a Barb) If you excuse the metaphor or Pun! And would Encourage any Angler to heed that advice.

Many Experienced Anglers will know that there are many times a "Barbed" Hook will fall out of the Fishes Mouth in the Net! and Fishes lips are Pretty Hard and many times the Barb Itself cannot penetrate the hard grisle skin. So Why! Bother using Barbed Hooks.? It dose not matter if you loose a fish or 3, We all loose Fish and we cannot win the Battles all and every time we fish.

No Creature Want's to Die, They all posess and Demontrate there ability to Fight for Survival. Make any Noise at the River Side. The fish will immediately go into Alert Mode! Then You wonder why Your Not Catching Anything. Remember Fishing is in fact "Hunting" Therfore you should adapt to that mode yourself. Stealth and Cunning as well as Observation will Pay Dividends. Consider how you would approach fishing, If you HAD to catch some fish to feed your Family,Rather that Arrive Home Empty Handed. Starved one day and the pressure is on you to Adapt a more Stealthy and Cunning Approach the next day. "Success Only Comes with a Degree of Effort".

Quote Originally Posted by LEON View Post
    G'Day Captain

No Creature Want's to Die, They all posess and Demontrate there ability to Fight for Survival.

Make any Noise at the River Side. The fish will immediately go into Alert Mode! Then You wonder why Your Not Catching Anything. Remember Fishing is in fact "Hunting" Therfore you should adapt to that mode yourself. Stealth and Cunning as well as Observation will Pay Dividends.

Consider how you would approach fishing, If you HAD to catch some fish to feed your Family,Rather that Arrive Home Empty Handed. Starved one day and the pressure is on you to Adapt a more Stealthy and Cunning Approach the next day. "Success Only Comes with a Degree of Effort".

Leon, it certainly seems like someone gave you the right tools when they taught you your angling lessons. The last 2 weeks I have been fishing at night, flats, bridges, and various key structure areas. More times than I can count, I have come upon 2 or more guys loudly talking about fishing and what is going on in their lives. I have heard guys discussing their infidelity, fishing "secrets", all sorts of private conversations, etc, because these guys don't realize how far their voices carry.

Stealth, silence, and cunning are the marks of a good hunter in the animal kingdom. We could learn a bit from these animal predators.

Sometimes the fish you are seeking are in only 2 or 3 feet of water. If you think they can't hear your conversations or movements, you're sadly mistaken.

Thanks for pointing out some of the things you have learned. It seems you learned them well. Anytime you come to the US for a visit, drop me a line and I'll take you out fishin. Tight lines, and thanks for the interesting posts. Rich

When I was a girl my dad would take me up to the nearby lake. I did not have a pole so I used what we called the "H" hook. It was the same concept as what you have, except mine was made of wood and shaped like a H. The line was wrapped in the middle. I caught mostly sunnies but had a great time.

Yes Katie it would be Similar to the Crab Line Below. I used to use one when I was a Boy, Now Still a Boy at 56 and Still Handsome as Ever!

Leon, That brings back such great memories. Mine was green. As I said I only caught sunnies with it. Thanks for letting me go back in time!

BTW Leon, If your so handsome where's the pic's?

Katie Darlin!

Tis Only a Face a Mother Could Love.

Below when I was just a Young Fella! Unfortunately I came out of my Mother like a Ballistic Missile. and the Midwife could not catch me!
    Newtons Law of Gravity Took Over and Immediately Headed "South" with a Sudden Stop. As you can see of my Fly Creations! Iv'e Never Been right Since. But Still a Cute Cuddly Kind of GUY!

Leon, I have had a very bad day and this was the only thing that made me smile and laugh. :

That's Good Katie! Remember!

(A Smile a Day Keeps the Reaper at Bay!)