Thread: Snag And Drop

Default Snag And Drop

I have found a spot where big pods of bunker have concentrated for the past few days... Like clockwork, all on slack to incoming tide.... You can see them getting terrorized by some large fish by the looks of the big splashes and the smell of CUCUMBERS lol... just joking... well anyway I have tried snagging and dropping numerous time right where the fish are getting slaughtered to no avail... I am also chunking these fresh caught bunker on another pole at the same time... not even the blues are hitting and you can see these fish getting eaten..... I have caught fish on a snag and drop technique before, but it happened so quickly that I do not really recall what was going on.... Where I am fishing now, it is about 15-20 feet deep and the current is not that strong.... My only thought is that the reason why they are not hitting is because they are feeding up top on the water column and not at the bottom... but wouldn't the bass be hanging out under the blues waiting for some tasty morsels? Like I said this spot has been full of these bunker for almost a week, everyday at both incoming tide stages of the day..... It's not like they are full because they keep on eating... any advice for me on what I may be doing wrong? I have caught some larger bass at this spot in the past 2 weeks so I know they like to hang out around there... I am using a weighted treble hook attached to steel leader by the way... Help me out.. Thanks

AmboyAngler, you could be in the right place, right time, and the bass are focused on the live bunker. I would not throw chunks, your only chance of getting a good bass is with the live ones. Are you bringing them in after you snag them and making sure the hook is positioned so it will set right in a big bass' mouth? If not, you should be. Try that and let us know how you make out.

Although I have caught Bass while in the mist of a frenzy on snagged bunker, I have had more hook ups staying away from it. Letting the frenzy pass, or even walking the opposite way, not far, but more peaceful water. I'll walk the live bunker in this area hoping that the lazy guys will be picking up scrapes. I only use a mono leader. I'm sure there are more experienced live liners out there and am anxious to hear their ways.

Quote Originally Posted by amboyangler View Post
    I not even the blues are hitting and you can see these fish getting eaten..... I have caught fish on a snag and drop technique before, but it happened so quickly that I do not really recall what was going on.... Where I am fishing now, it is about 15-20 feet deep and the current is not that strong.... My only thought is that the reason why they are not hitting is because they are feeding up top on the water column and not at the bottom... but wouldn't the bass be hanging out under the blues waiting for some tasty morsels? Like I said this spot has been full of these bunker for almost a week, everyday at both incoming tide stages of the day..... It's not like they are full because they keep on eating... any advice for me on what I may be doing wrong?

Bass feed wherever the bait is, but you will generally find them at the bottom. You might have a case of too much bunker, where you should toss your live one to the side of the pod. That's what I do on the boat if things are a little flaky. I second what others said that you should not be throwing chunks in a case like this. Live ones are your best bet. Given all those details, I would still fish them on the bottom.