Thread: Puppypopper and jonthepain hit the field

Hybrid View

Default Puppypopper and jonthepain hit the field

Puppypopper, the president of the NCPHA, got a call from a rancher here in NC last week that was having Coyote problems. They have lost 4 calves to coyotes so far, and have several pregnant cows due any time now. So we drove up there, and Puppy called up Mr. Wile E. for me:

Very unselfish of the Pupster to call in a yote and let somebody else take the shot.

Thanks Pup. You the man!

That's some picture. It speaks 1000 words. I don't know anything about hunting but when livestock are threatened you have to do what you gotta do.

Thanks. Them coyotes tear 'em up pretty good. They take the calves as they're coming out, run off with them, and rip open their abdomens and eat their guts while the baby is still bawlin'.

Needless to say, it breaks the rancher's hearts as well as their pocketbooks when it happens. This particular guy really cares for his cows and takes very good care of them.

Our Host feeding the cows:

I have a soft heart but I guess I feel more sorry for the Cows.

I wish I had some good pictures of the cows and calves. I'll get some next time.

They are real cute; black with white faces.

At dawn Saturday Chuck and I were crossing a meadow, when I saw a bunch of white faces peering at us over some tall grass. I whispered, "pssst! Chuck! pssst pssst!" The faces started coming over the hill towards us, and it was a herd of cows. They broke into a run as they topped the hill. I guess they thought we were the rancher come to feed them. They were like big goofy puppy dogs. Albeit 1100 lb. puppy dogs. I gotta admit it made me nervous; I didn't grow up on a farm so I tried to act nonchalant but I wasn't really feeling it.

When they got about 10 yds away their expressions went from "oh boy oh boy oh boy!" to "run away! run away!" They hit the brakes and ran away, throwing worried looks over their shoulders as they ran.

I guess they figured out that we weren't the rancher.

That must have been intense seeing a herd of cows coming at you. Even though they are gentle giants I wouldn't want to get that close to a herd.