Thread: May, 2009 Fishing Reports from Harbor Tackle, W. Ocean City, Md.

Default May, 2009 Fishing Reports from Harbor Tackle, W. Ocean City, Md.

Harbor Tackle Fishing Report May 1, 2009

Things are starting to get back to normal. I had back surgery on April 9, 2009 and I am recovering nicely; however, I still cannot lift anything over 5 pounds and cannot bend, lift or twist my back. Sorry that I have been negligent in keeping up the fishing reports. I am pretending I am on a mini-vacation. I have been directing the store (Terry) while sitting in a big comfortable chair.

In the surf, black drum have been caught with clams and a few stripers with fresh bunker and of course doggies and skates. Tog have seemed to be hot this week. Nice flounder have been reported too. Yesterday, several over 20 inch flounder were taken at the Oceanic Pier. The Rt. 50 Bridge is producing some legal stripers. Above the Rt. 90 Bridge, in front of the airport, and below the Assateague Bridge have been some nice flounder. Last Sunday Terry Morris of Frankford, DE caught a 25 5/8 inch flounder that weighed 6 ¼ pounds with minnows in front of the airport.

Harbor Tackle has fresh bunker, live minnows, live chowder clams, live black saltys, live eels, and live green crabs.
    Beverly Fleming
    Harbor Tackle & Home of the Annual Red Drum Tournament

Harbor Tackle Fishing Report May 7, 2009

In the surf, black drum, some stripers, 17 inch bluefish, 26 inch flounder, doggies and skates have been caught. Tog are still hot this week. Nice flounder have been caught behind the airport and at the Oceanic Pier. On Tuesday one of my customers limited out on flounder and had to throw back legal fish. He was fishing in the bay behind Assateague. Rt. 50 Bridge is producing some legal stripers. Above the Rt. 90 Bridge, in front of the airport, and below the Assateague Bridge nice flounder have been taken.

Harbor Tackle has fresh bunker, live peelers, live minnows, live chowder clams, live black saltys, live eels, and live green crabs.
    Beverly Fleming

Thanks for the report btf, I'm heading out that way over the weekend.

Harbor Tackle Fishing Report May 14, 2009

Fishing for stripers is HOT. Finally the stripers have shown up in numbers. Last weekend the stripers hit the beaches. Fishing was especially good at AI. There were stripers caught on the Ocean City Beach on up through the Delaware beaches. Most people that I talked to that fished last weekend limited out with stripers. Most of the fish ranged from 28 inches to 48 inches with the biggest that was reported to Harbor Tackle was 51 inches. There was a 33 inch striper taken at the Oceanic Pier. The Indian River Inlet has been hot this week. Deven Fernandez and Joe Caucci caught their limit of stripers Tuesday and Wednesday night. I was told that a few 30 inch blues have been taken at Indian River. Tog fishing is still good and so is the flounder fishing at the usual places.

Harbor Tackle has fresh bunker, live peelers, live minnows, live chowder clams, live black saltys, live eels, and live green crabs.
    Beverly Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by btf View Post
    Harbor Tackle Fishing Report May 1, 2009

Things are starting to get back to normal. I had back surgery on April 9, 2009 and I am recovering nicely; however, I still cannot lift anything over 5 pounds and cannot bend, lift or twist my back. Sorry that I have been negligent in keeping up the fishing reports. I am pretending I am on a mini-vacation. I have been directing the store (Terry) while sitting in a big comfortable chair.

Harbor Tackle has fresh bunker, live minnows, live chowder clams, live black saltys, live eels, and live green crabs.
    Looks like things are heating up down there. We're about 2 weeks or less from some crazy action on the frontside as well.

Sorry to hear about the back surgery, it's a tough surgery to recover from because you have to take it
    easy and not move around much. Don't know if I would be able to do that, I give you credit for following your Dr's orders. I like the part about pretending you're on a mini-vacation! Best wishes for a full recovery.

Harbor Tackle Fishing Report May 14, 2009

Fishing for stripers is HOT. Finally the stripers have shown up in numbers. Last weekend the stripers hit the beaches. Fishing was especially good at AI. There were stripers caught on the Ocean City Beach on up through the Delaware beaches. Most people that I talked to that fished last weekend limited out with stripers. Most of the fish ranged from 28 inches to 48 inches with the biggest that was reported to Harbor Tackle was 51 inches.
    51", thatsa nicea bass! Send some of those big ones our way, thanks for the report.

Harbor Tackle Fishing Report May 22, 2009

Stripers are still in the Assateague surf and on the Ocean City beach. Also in the suds are sharks, skates, black drum, and a few kingfish. Mathew Barfield of Pittsville, Md. caught a 47 inch striper from Assateague. Red drum are being hooked at the barrier islands. Depending on who you talk with, flounder are plentiful. Bill Walsh won the MSSA Flounder Tournament with a 26 inch 6.79 pound flounder. Earlier in the week Jeff Haas came in with a 22 inch 3.555 pound flounder. Robert Houser, Jr. weighted in two sea bass that he caught on the Morning Star. The fish were sized at 22 ½ inches and 23 ¼ inches. Devin Fernandez’s luck is holding. He caught two more stripers at Indian River this week. They were 33 inches and 35 inches.

Beverly Fleming

Harbor Tackle Fishing Report May 29, 2009

50+ inch stripers caught in the suds this week along with black drum, sharks, skates, kingfish, and blues. Legal flounder have been somewhat elusive and the blues have shown up. Lots of shad have been caught in the Inlet and around the Rt. 50 Bridge. Some legal stripers have been taken at the Rt. 50 Bridge. Tog are hitting good in the usual places.

Harbor Tackle has fresh bunker, live peelers, live minnows, live chowder clams, live black saltys, live eels, live green crabs, and salted sea/surf clams.
    Beverly Fleming

Looks to me as if my buddies and I need to take a trip. Thanks for the report.

Harbor Tackle Fishing Report May 29, 2009

50+ inch stripers caught in the suds this week along with black drum, sharks, skates, kingfish, and blues. Legal flounder have been somewhat elusive and the blues have shown up. Lots of shad have been caught in the Inlet and around the Rt. 50 Bridge. Some legal stripers have been taken at the Rt. 50 Bridge. Tog are hitting good in the usual places.

Harbor Tackle has fresh bunker, live peelers, live minnows, live chowder clams, live black saltys, live eels, live green crabs, and salted sea/surf clams.
    Here is a picture of one of the 50's. Its my personal best at 50 1/4"L 27"G & 43.13 Lbs weighed in at Harbor Tackle.

Thanks for the bait Bev & Terry it was perfect!!

I Live and Breath Fishing!!! It dont get any better..

Century Fishing
    AMSA 736
    Eastern Shore Anglers

Quote Originally Posted by RocksandReds View Post
    Here is a picture of one of the 50's. Its my personal best at 50 1/4"L 27"G & 43.13 Lbs weighed in at Harbor Tackle.

Beautiful fish Rocksandreds! That's the fish of a lifetime, grats on the catch!

Congratulations on the PB rnr! It looks like you're in the tropics there, fishing in your shorts. Doesn't get any better than that, wtg.

Rocksnreds that's a beautiful fish, congrats.

Wow, Nice fish! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by RocksandReds View Post

Don't know how I missd this one! That's an awesome fish, and you didn't catch her in a blitz, you had to sit out there and wait for her. wtg, man!