Thread: proper use of circle hooks

Default proper use of circle hooks

What is the correct way to fish with circle hooks? I thought the idea was that the fish turn into the hook, thus hooking them on the side of their mouth. I also was told that you don't need to set the hook with them. I have been having trouble hooking up lately and thought it might be the way I use the hooks. Any help is appreciated.

They will usually set the hook themselves, but sometimes a slooooow pull is called for.

I use a baitrunner or set the drag on min and let them run with it a bit, then gradually increase line pressure.

I never "hit 'em" like I used to.

I remember when circle hooks first came out, I got on board early, and would shock and amaze the other guys on the beach by sauntering over to my bouncing rod and casually tightening the pressure, as opposed to running like crazy over to it and socking it to 'em.

IMO Circle hooks are the greatest invention since the spinning reel.

Do not set the hook or you will miss fish ,this is the hardest thing to learn.
    Put the reel in gear on a conventional and just wait for the line to come tight and reel. In some cases reel slow until the line comes tight and just keep reeling,do not set up on fish.

On a spinner with a baitrunner feature, fish it like a conventional
    If the drag is loosened on a spinner tighten drag slowly and wait for line to come tight and reel.

Most important thing is do not pull back to set hook like when using J style hooks.

Hope this helps,as it works for me on everything up to and including chunking tuna.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Are you using a fishfinder rig if not sometimes the fish picks up the bait and swims with it feels the weight of the sinker and spits it,do not set the hook let it run give it a good 5 count if the fish is still there just start reeling and your hookup ratio should go up.