Thread: reels and grease

Default reels and grease

What kind of grease do you guys use on your reels?

Blue grease

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I was told to try White Lithium grease in a spray can. Has anyone tried this?

I'm using bearing grease I picked up at an auto shop. It is my first time using it. I packed my reel full. I did 2 so far got 5 more to go. I tested it by leaving it out in 20 deg for 15 min. and then test reeling it was noticeably harder to reel. At Room temp it's perfect it’s as stiff as new a VS.

I had used Vaseline with 3 in 1 oil. It works, but melts in over 100 deg. Temps and makes a mess since I never take my rods out of the car during the season. I learned about the Vaseline from an old timer. I will go back to it in Mid Sept. when car temps are cooler. The insides of my heavily used reels are like bran new a Penn 4500s used for 7 years.

I know a lot of people use Marine grease and are really happy with it. I imagine it's the same as bearing grease. They both have anti corrosion properties.

Vaseline and 3-n-1 for me as well. It works excellent. I'm pretty tough on my reels and they don't stay dry even on the calmest of days, and I've found that this keeps them working even when submerged for a few minutes. Was fishing one night during a NE blow, out on a bar up to my knees in whitewater and got a knot up around the tip of my rod that took me at least 5 minutes to undo and the reel stayed under for the entire time. When I was done with the knot the reel spun as if it had just left my truck. Amazing, for non-sealed reel and less than $5 worth of vaseline and oil. Well see just how good it is when I start skishing with it this spring.

Simp,
    Would you recommend the vasoline and 3-in-1 oil for a quantum cabo? They say to grease them with the quantum "hot sauce". Also, what parts of the real are you packing with grease? under the spool, inside the gears, both? i want to pack mine, but don't want to mess it up in the process. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mydixiewrecked View Post
    Simp,
    Would you recommend the vasoline and 3-in-1 oil for a quantum cabo? They say to grease them with the quantum "hot sauce". Also, what parts of the real are you packing with grease? under the spool, inside the gears, both? i want to pack mine, but don't want to mess it up in the process. thanks.
    E-mail sent.

I have used blue grease for years and it has never failed me.