Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins: Insanity on the beaches ...

Default Bunker boats3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5210022 (2).JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	11166

Name:	P5210023.JPG 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	11167

Name:	P5210024.JPG 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	11168

Name:	P5210025.JPG 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	11169

Default Do you need a license to operate a boat in NJ?

How about a license to buy some common sense?

Oops. I forgot, ya can't buy common sense, ya either have it, or ya don't.

Real life fishermen OTW today..
    I got some great phone reports of fantastic boat fishing from people out there today. I also got to hear some amazing examples of people somewhat lacking in common sense.

It seems the striper interest has reached a fever pitch. The pics of the big fish and the video weigh-ins are causing people who never fished for striped bass in their lives to jump in boats at breakneck speed to get out to where the bass are. The enthusiasm is OK, but some of the people out there apparently aren't interested in doing any research or reading ahead of time about how you actually catch striped bass under these conditions.

Some of the people I know were very candid in their responses to the questions they were asked today...

1. How do you do this bunker snag thing?
    (Asked by someone who cruised over to another boat that was into fish.) The people in question had a pyramid sinker attached to a normal, small size treble hook, and were looking for advice on how to snag with that rig.
    Answer:
    "Go read the Fisherman!"

2. The high low clam rig fishermen in the middle of the bunker blitzes - "Hey, do you know how much weight we should be using with the clams for the striped bass under these bunker?"
    (Hopefully after you have fished for more than 24 hours you would learn that when you have bass busting on live bunker, you want to fish what the fish are feeding on, and put the clams away..Apparently not in this case.)
    Answer:
    "Yes you have to attach them to your anchor rope with a collar swivel as the anchor gets put down"

3. "How do you fish the graveling hook for bunker?"
    Assuming that the person asking the question meant grappling rig, or bunker snag, the
    Answer:
    "You need to buy a special cannon to shoot it out of, but you have to take a class on that so you don't hit the other boats. You can read about it in this week's Fisherman!"

Apparently, lots of Fisherman magazines will be sold this week!

Any of the sharpies out there wanna make a quick grand or so and set up some bunker fishing seminars?

My question is how many bass got netted along with the bunker?

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    My question is how many bass got netted along with the bunker?
    Bass are often under the bunker, Rip, good point. They're supposed to toss them back, but many times they're tossed back dead. Maybe Fin wants to answer that one.

Default " I hope they kill them all"

I have a good friend who's able to fish a lot. Sometimes as much as 7 days a week. He's all over the place, he never keeps a bass, and fishes all types of surf zones.

We were talking about the mass hysteria going on now to not only kill every bass you can, but also document every single bass with tackle shop or video weigh ins. He's lived through the moratorium when there were no bass. We admit our bass fishing is like an addiction for us, and have intense discussions about anything today that could affect tomorrow.

He's given up trying to sort it out. He said to me:

"Rich, I hope they kill all the bass. That's the only way we'll ever be able to fish in peace. Then all the dillydocks will stop fishing because they have no clue how to catch a fish. "

I don't know if I agree with his opinion. It seemed a little harsh. Thinking about it, I could definitely understand where he's coming from.

In the past I've talked here about the difference between "wanting" to fish, and "needing" to fish. He, I, and a host of others out there "need" to fish.

We would be miserable if we couldn't. The possibility of catching, the hunt, the challenge, is what drives us. So we would still fish for them even if 90% of all bass were gone. Because we know that 90% of the people would then stop fishing for them.

"Those who do not remember the history of the past are doomed to repeat it."

Well that just shut down a good day more likely days of fishing.

Default Some positive examples of good behavior - free plug to the fisherman in the pic

^^Absolutely, Surfstix, but everything was done legally, except for the spotter plane. One of the sad effects of the elimination of the factory bunker boats in NJ.

I didn't want this to be a thread where all we do is talk about how people suck. There was a thread in the past where I was trying to describe to Jake of Stripercoast the most common way surf guys in NJ fish for "bunker bass". That method is to sit on a bench, lean against a railing, or hang in your truck with binocs to wait till the bunker and bass are close enough, and then start fishin.

Whatever happened to blind casting?
    Well you won't find much of it in NJ during the bunker blitzes.

Last week I found a guy on some rocks who knows what it is to blind cast. He was far away from the crowds, doing his thing, without a bunker to be seen, trying to catch a bass anyway.

There are those who would say what he was doing was a waste of energy without seeing pods of bunker.
    I say to those people:
    How can you be sure ONE 20, or 30, or bigger, isn't swimming by at this time of year, when the fish are migrating north and there are fish within 1/2 mi of the surf zone? You can't be sure, and this guy was out working his plugs to give it a shot.

Name:	IMGP8663.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	11170

Name:	IMGP8664.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	11171

Name:	IMGP8665.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	11172

Hat's off to this unknown fisherman.
    If anyone knows him, tell him to contact me and I'll send him a free plug.

Default Rants and raves 5-24

Rant:

People so happy and caught up in the moment with their fish that they can't understand that posting an internet or tackle shop pic with houses or key buildings in the background will clue untold amounts of surf fishermen into the last place where you were fishing.

I'm sick of hearing that fish move. Tell that to the smartest club guys who don't even chase them anymore, they just hang around in their vehicles and on ocean sidewalks waiting for those fish to come in every day.

If you're posting a pic and it has identifiable background, it's a little hypocritical if you then whine like a baby how many people were casting over your head.

Food for thought.

Rave:
    For the guy where I was yesterday, hooked his finger in the morning, went to the hospital, and was back an hour later, trying for his shot at a fish... hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    How about a license to buy some common sense?

Oops. I forgot, ya can't buy common sense, ya either have it, or ya don't.

Real life fishermen OTW today..
    I got some great phone reports of fantastic boat fishing from people out there today. I also got to hear some amazing examples of people somewhat lacking in common sense.

It seems the striper interest has reached a fever pitch. The pics of the big fish and the video weigh-ins are causing people who never fished for striped bass in their lives to jump in boats at breakneck speed to get out to where the bass are. The enthusiasm is OK, but some of the people out there apparently aren't interested in doing any research or reading ahead of time about how you actually catch striped bass under these conditions.

Some of the people I know were very candid in their responses to the questions they were asked today...

1. How do you do this bunker snag thing?
    (Asked by someone who cruised over to another boat that was into fish.) The people in question had a pyramid sinker attached to a normal, small size treble hook, and were looking for advice on how to snag with that rig.
    Answer:
    "Go read the Fisherman!"

2. The high low clam rig fishermen in the middle of the bunker blitzes - "Hey, do you know how much weight we should be using with the clams for the striped bass under these bunker?"
    (Hopefully after you have fished for more than 24 hours you would learn that when you have bass busting on live bunker, you want to fish what the fish are feeding on, and put the clams away..Apparently not in this case.)
    Answer:
    "Yes you have to attach them to your anchor rope with a collar swivel as the anchor gets put down"

3. "How do you fish the graveling hook for bunker?"
    Assuming that the person asking the question meant grappling rig, or bunker snag, the
    Answer:
    "You need to buy a special cannon to shoot it out of, but you have to take a class on that so you don't hit the other boats. You can read about it in this week's Fisherman!"

Apparently, lots of Fisherman magazines will be sold this week!

Any of the sharpies out there wanna make a quick grand or so and set up some bunker fishing seminars?
    You just can't make this stiff up, great examples. We have been running into the same types of people out there, the idiot factor is high. You should see some of them trying to pull into a slip when there is a big swell or it's windy.

Another big problem for Jetty fishing is guys using 8 ft "fall" type rods which are bad for several reasons.

I seen some casting horrors going on this week, the shorter rodsjust dont keep the plugs above other guys noggins and they are launching from a lower trajectory i was wincing all days plugs hummed just a foot over others head. For what ever crazy reason a lot of these guys seem to have a sideways hitch when they cast maybe compenating for the underpower rod and trying for distance. If you are Jetty Jocking anything under 10 ft is way to short.

The other problem going on was when these guys would hook up they couldnt control their bass and they were swimming every which way for too long, now the angler is happy but others if considerate and thats a big IF have to wait and lose precious time that the fish are in range. I was 2 spots next to a guy who had a bass nearly swimming to portugal , he was all smiles and laughs as he fought the fish for an eternity while i wanted to cry because I couldnt cast. Im sure none of this help anything so im just venting really!

Angry 4 mile trail of dead bass

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Bass are often under the bunker, Rip, good point. They're supposed to toss them back, but many times they're tossed back dead. Maybe Fin wants to answer that one.
    i just got off the phone with my freind from fish&game he needs pics of this they have to c&r the bass not kill them he said

It's kinda hard Speedy, but not impossible. They told me they want specific proof. I spent a few afternoons last year taking video footage of a Comm, but the best I could do was document some minor violations. Not worth it for them to prosecute.

A lot of the boats Fin is talking about have proper permits. The only way to make them disappear is for fishermen to get organized like they did in the 1980's, when guys like Finchaser, Joe Melillo, Surfwalker, and a host of others and Fishing clubs out there all got together and kept at it.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but to get that level of invoilvement from fishermen today might be next to impossible. We Recs can't even make a good % showing at the March on Washington. There are millions of Rec anglers on the US's Coastal Zones, yet only a few thousand showed up to protest regs that affect the rules for everyone.

Today, at this moment, many fishermen are more concerned about when the next wave of big fish will be close and how they can get one. That's the way it is. I don't see that changing much until the majority see the cause and affect between netting the bunker in close and the immediate decline in the fishery after.

Many fishermen out there today aren't old enough to remember what life was like back then, nor do they care. That's what were working with here, although I have many thanks and praise for those who DO care.

Wink 8ft.9ft. they work find

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    Another big problem for Jetty fishing is guys using 8 ft "fall" type rods which are bad for several reasons.

I seen some casting horrors going on this week, the shorter rodsjust dont keep the plugs above other guys noggins and they are launching from a lower trajectory i was wincing all days plugs hummed just a foot over others head. For what ever crazy reason a lot of these guys seem to have a sideways hitch when they cast maybe compenating for the underpower rod and trying for distance. If you are Jetty Jocking anything under 10 ft is way to short.

The other problem going on was when these guys would hook up they couldnt control their bass and they were swimming every which way for too long, now the angler is happy but others if considerate and thats a big IF have to wait and lose precious time that the fish are in range. I was 2 spots next to a guy who had a bass nearly swimming to portugal , he was all smiles and laughs as he fought the fish for an eternity while i wanted to cry because I couldnt cast. Im sure none of this help anything so im just venting really!
    i have 8ft. rods and 9ft. ,some 10ft. they all work fine i am out there right with the other guys my thinking is if it works for ya use it

Im specifically referring to fishing in crowds and the dangers and ethics, I do understand you will eventually may get your fish in and you are happy but you have to consider if it costs another guy a shot at his. Some just don't know what they dont know there is no way a 8 ft light rod can steer a 30lb class bass around a rip off a jetty tip. If my 10ft heavy lami was groaning to do this how can a light rod.

another thing is A plug clearing another mans head by three feet rather then one is extremely safer, but if you think its all good you might be one of the guys we can never get through to and bunker madness goes on and on.

Cool

Im specifically referring to fishing in crowds and the dangers and ethics, I do understand you will eventually may get your fish in and you are happy but you have to consider if it costs another guy a shot at his. Some just don't know what they dont know there is no way a 8 ft light rod can steer a 30lb class bass around a rip off a jetty tip. If my 10ft heavy lami was groaning to do this how can a light rod.

another thing is A plug clearing another mans head by three feet rather then one is extremely safer, but if you think its all good you might be one of the guys we can never get through to and bunker madness goes on and on.
    you have to be in it to win it i get a fish i back off so some one can get a crack at it no i am not one for plug shaving it sucks having meat balls casting over your head two deep i back off i dont need to get hooked i am out for fun and yes i have hookedup with a 30lb. bass with my 8 ft. rod and yes my spool was screemingand i landed it too its the fun of it

Its fun for you when your fish is running all over and 2 or 3 guys near by cant cast when the school is range , but why give a crap about them right, There apparently is an I in team when bunker fishing. I give up on this thread.

Its fun for you when your fish is running all over and 2 or 3 guys near by cant cast when the school is range , but why give a crap about them right, There apparently is an I in team when bunker fishing. I give up on this thread.

Yep the new breed of bass fisherman made by the INTERNET,who follow advice most of the time from people who know less than them. It's getting sickening to watch.Without the bunker 1/2 of them couldn't catch a fish. I personally hate bunker and the insane fever they cause.When the bass are wiped out again all these so called clueless bass fisherman will ask why or blame the commercial guys.
    This statement is not aimed at anyone in particular.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Wink

i dont cause problems for others like some do the fish was not all over it was in infair time

Speedy. you are taking the right route. You are trying your best to be respectful and in the same time trying to have a good time catching fish. I personally can not put myself in that situation. If someone is casting over my head or putting a plug in my waders it is definitely going down. That is why I wouldn't even do it. All I can say to all is catchem up when you can and whatever way you know how to.

Wink rip316

Quote Originally Posted by rip316 View Post
    Speedy. you are taking the right route. You are trying your best to be respectful and in the same time trying to have a good time catching fish. I personally can not put myself in that situation. If someone is casting over my head or putting a plug in my waders it is definitely going down. That is why I wouldn't even do it. All I can say to all is catchem up when you can and whatever way you know how to.
    thank you.....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast