Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Defining bait in the water

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    Not really, it must be a lot different from where you are fishing. Our back bay areas heat up quickly in the spring, but they drop just as quickly in the fall. When I was younger I used to fish many of those places, I know them well. I don't remember catching many fish in the back after November 15th though.
    the same thing here.
    I was chatting with someone here that lives near the Mullica river[I think it is] and they said there are no fish in there.
    I looked from the sat view and it looks like it would hold some fish somewhat.
    lots of smaller bait hangs out back there with herring moving inside too.
    don't know why there are no fish back there.
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    What awesome shares here. I was bored today and read over some of the posts very helpful. I wanted to ask your guys' opinion on something. In SJersey we have a LOT of spearing. You can usually find them near any lighted bulkhead, marina, creek mouth, etc. Last few nights have been makeing some stops on the way home from work. I noticed a lot of spearing at almost every place I stopped at. This one place, with a deep water harbor nearby was a little different. There were these larger and thicker fish mixed in with the spearing. I would say they were 6-9 inches long and about twice the thickness of the spearing. If I didn't know better I would think they were snapper blues or mullet! But that's not really possible this time of year.
    I could only view them from on top and the water was so windy I could not get a clear pic of them. Was wondering what you guys thought they might be?
    Could herring be in the harbors like that? I thought they only go in the rivers and larger creeks? thank you for thoughts.
    I would say herring,they show up around here this time of year too.
    as for where they go,if it has some kind of flow they will go.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Some pics of bait that was in the back bays last Fall..
    The first is a needlefish...in this one area there were large needlefish up to 12" on the prowl after smaller baitfish...is it any wonder that folks do so well on needles in the fall?
    Here's some proof as to why.....

The 2nd pic is a poor pic of the thousands of small rainfish and spearing that were around....there was one cove area where I came upon thousands and thousands of them one night.
    These were tiny juveniles....ranging from 1/2 to 2" long....

My flashlight on the water attracted and concentrated them....As I did that some bluefish and bass moved in from deeper water and started hammering them...oblivious to the fact that I was there...but cautiously out of reach on the edges of the shadow line cast by my light on the water....

It was fascinating for me to watch...so I just thought I would share it with you folks......

The 3rd pic I think.....is some spearing that JB sent me...either noticed by him or Blazin........

Some friends mentioned the surf was loaded with spearing a few weeks ago...
    Within 2 nights after that the back bays were loaded with these....according to my logs they were about a month late this year...but definitely a part of the food chain in those areas......
    those shiners as we call them are wonderful deep fried,I used to get them from my friend after he drag netted them to sell in his bait shop.
    I would buy only the ones that size and would take all he had.
    grab the head,half twist and pull,everything comes out and then some seafood coating shake off and into the basket they go.
    eat them like thick French fries,,,wonderful with red hot.

fried spearing with hot sauce sounds delish!
    I wish we could do the same with squid in Jersey, but they don't seem to be around that you could catch them every night like they are up north. Calamari Red Hots would be awesome.

Spearing and rainfish have finally arrived.

yes they have

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Great news!

Time to tie the teasers on.

A big staple of predators traveling along our coast this time of year, when they are not feeding on bunker, is the mole crabs. Have seen a lot of them lately.

This was spit up from the lone Blue I caught in a nice little blitz in the corner small Jetty.
    Schoolie Bass all over the Mullet.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Any size to the blue?

Quote Originally Posted by lostatsea View Post
    Any size to the blue?
    No, around 20 inches, same size as some of the bass in the blitz
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234