Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Fishing reports for June 2009

Default NY Fishing reports for June 2009

Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
    Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
    CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
    FI -- Fire Island
    FT -- Fort Tilden Park
    FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
    WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
    LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
    MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
    MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
    OB -- Oyster Bay
    PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
    ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
    SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya

7deadlyplugs you won the plug in the May random drawing!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

Fished a NS location yesterday morning with bucktails and shads. The sky was a little overcast which I thought would be perfect for a few bass. Wishful thinking, I got the

I fished staten island yesterday night with bunker, we got 3 small fluke and we threw them back in the ocean. We got 2 nice bluefish and took them home.

I fished the backside of FI this morning, one cocktail blue on a pencil.

Default Jamaica bay marathon

Yesterday was the 2nd attempt in 2 days to fish Jamaica Bay. The day before too much stuff got in my way, and I didn't make it. Yesterday I set up a new kayak rack to replace the one that broke, and was set to make the trip. I was psyched!!

Fished 8pm-5am, guess I don't know how to make a short trip.

The first weirdness was when I was looking for a spot to start at. All the usual spots held no bait, guys said no bunker were seen for days. Puzzling for such a previously productive area, I was determined to fish it anyway.

2nd weirdness was when some guys I met when I was gearing up, came out 10minutes later to go home. I asked what was up, they said:"Too many flies, man!" So I geared up for a jungle trip, putting on a winter hat, camo jacket, and bathing in bug spray. Despite all that, the gnats and no-see-ums were relentless. There was no wind, and it reminded me of a Canadian fishing trip with all the black flies. The best thing to do is put it out of your mind, if you want to catch. So I did, even though they were eating my eyelids.

8-10pm, fished my favorite spots from shore. Didn't take the yak off because the water seemed dead, and I planned to cover more ground on foot. After a lot of different presentations, I managed to raise 3 fish. Had one on for 3 secs, the others were swing and miss. Fish were not aggressive, which was unusual for JBay.

I saw some boats up close, and no one did anything at all in the usual area. I waded offshore about 200', and was disappointed when some boats came back to where I was, as there were no bunker in the main area. Another bad sign, but I kept fishin.

The lack of bunker was puzzling. They spawn there, where could they be. It was like a huge vacuuum cleaner (or a few greedy netters) came in the middle of the night and scooped them all up. Saw 2 bunker the whole time I was there.

10-2AM, I was frustrated, and decided to cover areas I hadn't hit before. By the 9th stop I found bunker, as the tide came in. My plan was to snag some and hit the ocean. All evidence I has so far weas that the area was dead, I knew fish in the ocean would appreciate any bloody bunker I could bring them.

These bunker were coming in in small pods, not like the huge pods I saw 3 weeks ago when I was last there. The exciting thing is that fish were under them and crashing the bait in the dark. I got psyched aggain and tried to reach them by wading out. The water where I set up was deeper, and tough to navigate.

Every time I decided to leave and go back to set up the kayak, they came closer, and the fish as well. It was like they were mocking me, I couldn't leave them.

When the action built up to a frenzy nout in the channnel, I knew I had to chase after them in the yak. As I figured out the way they were moving, I moved ahead so I could launch and intercept them.

Unfortunately time for the 3rd weirdness, the spot I wanted to launch at was occupied by 2 crack addicts. I didn't feel safe launching and leaving my vehicle with them there, so I went on the hunt again driving around.

I found them 15 minutes later at 2:45 as the tide filled in. Fish were on them, and I had them to myself for 15 minutes. I snagged and dropped about 5 of them, nothing. I realized where I was had a bonanza of leafy seaweed on the bottom, so I figured the snag and drop was a waste. On to plugging, with not a touch.

Then at 3am, a commercial guy came in with the lights off to net. After he netted a few hundred, he was on his way out. In all fairness, he did it the right way, and didn't put the schools down.

3:30 the rec guys came in with a few boats, and put the fish down. The bunker were still there, but deeper, so I continued to snag a dozen, intended for the ocean.

4am it started thundering and lightning, and rain was coming down in sheets. However the storm was fast moving, and the rain was done after a few minutes each time. The 4th time it started again, there was a lot more lightning, and it was localized. Rain came harder with no letup, and I gave up at 5am to get back to Jersey.

Surfwalker, you talk about frustration? Last night I was frustrated, X10!

"Just the way it goes".

Jamaica Bay last night, incoming. Before it rained the bunker were being crushed. All bluefish up to some monsters 12+. No bass. Bunker chunks, the smaller the better. Dark, your report reads like a crime novel. You seem to have a habit of running into the most unusual characters, if that's what we can call them. Next time you're coming over, pm me ahead of time. The bunker move around a lot.

Great report ds I felt like I was there. I fished a ns location this morning, one small bass on bucktail with pork rind. Bigger fish have been coming in, put your time in guys.

Default Jamaica bay marathon 2

I spent way too many hours fishin Jamaica bay this weekend. Waiting for the weather to clear, I met lots of interesting people.
    Don't want to clutter up this report with that, Ill put in the kayak reports. As for regular fishin, spent Fri night pluggin after the rain, a lot less bait around, no taps working all levels of the water column.

Today Sat I spent 6am - 5pm on the kayak.

Total catch:
    3 small bluefish on Ace baits medic super spook, caught in a 30 minute flurry of activity on the change of the tide. They were spitting up spearing, lots of spearing around to make up for the diminishing bunker.
    1 Jamaica Bay whitefish, first time ever for that.
    Guess the bay ain't as clean as I thought.

There are still bass being caught. My new Guyanese and Trinadadian friends got some by stationary fishin from shore last night and tonight, 28-30". Using clams, it was a slow pick. Using bunker only produced sea robins for them. 10 of em were fishin, only 3 fish caught in 2 nights.

Fished Jones this morning, sunrise bite, beautiful weather, one small bass 25" on a white tsunami shad.

Fished the back of Moses last night with bucktails and rubber, deeper water,

Fished the Long Beach area tonight after work, still weedy though it cleared up a little. A few small taps on a bucktail, one fish that came unbuttuned.

Default Martha's Vineyard

I just got back from Martha's Vineyard. I had a pretty good week for Striper fishing I did not catch as many as usual, but I love fishing that Island. From Monday night to Sunday morning I caught 23 Bass. 16 of them were keepers between 28" and 34". I saw some cool Striper feeding activity, I was on a bar and a school of Bass were chasing Sand eels up onto the bar they would herd them into a bunch and individual fish would shoot out of the school, turn on their side and swallow mouthfuls of sand eels. I was like watching Wolves hunt on nature programs. I caught 4 sand Sharks on plugs. This is the second time this has happened to me. I found a 25 foot long Basking Shark. I had a Seal almost steal a Bass from me. Great trip, I'll do it again in October.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6020069.jpg   P6030001.jpg  

P6030001_01.jpg   P6040008.jpg  

P6020001.jpg   P6050030.jpg  

Default Martha's Vineyard con't

Some more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6060001.jpg   P6060003.jpg  

P6060006.jpg   P6060010.jpg  

P6060011.jpg   P6060016.jpg  

jimbob-Great pics, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I saw some cool Striper feeding activity, I was on a bar and a school of Bass were chasing Sand eels up onto the bar they would herd them into a bunch and individual fish would shoot out of the school, turn on their side and swallow mouthfuls of sand eels. I was like watching Wolves hunt on nature programs.
    That sounds like a great thing to be able to watch, man. I've seen bass running through schools of rainfish with their mouths open wide, but never saw them working together like you described. Amazing behavior. The pics of the shark are amazing as well. Looks like Montauk up there, but with a little less rocks. Great pics and report, thanks for posting.

No more side affects from the flu?

Back of FI after work tonight. 3 bass to 31", clams. A little foggy but the bite was good.

I always wanted to fish the vineyard just never got the chance to get there yet. That must have been a great trip jimbob.

Those are some really incredible pics. Congrats on a successful trip!

I fished Long Beach last night. On clams I got 3 bass. Released them all.

Front side of Fire Island this AM, little cloudy but the water wasnt. 2 bass to 25", bucktail and pork rind. Jimbob those are great pics you took, sounds like the best vacation. Never caught a shark on a plug, that tells me there are more around than we think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast