Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Fishing reports for June 2009

I hit the Shinnecock area before dark today, blue bonanza to 8lbs, metals and poppers, and one short bass.

fished the SI this afternoon with bunker, only one small blue where are all the bluefish and stripers?

I got a chance to get out this morning, I have been working like crazy to make up for my vacation. I went to Moriches this morning at dawn. I caught a Bluefish on a pencil popper in the ocean. then 5 Stripers and one Bluefish on a Zara in the bay. I also spent an hour on a north shore beach just after dark on Wednesday for no fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6140001.jpg   P6140002.jpg  

P6140003.jpg   P6140004.jpg  

P6140005.jpg   P6140007.jpg  

I just want to thank everyone for the feedback on the Martha's Vineyard report. It is a very good place to fish. I recomend trying the Derby they have every year for a month in the fall. The Island is fish crazy then.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I just want to thank everyone for the feedback on the Martha's Vineyard report. It is a very good place to fish. I recomend trying the Derby they have every year for a month in the fall. The Island is fish crazy then.
    So you would recommend the fall as opposed to now, jimbob? I enjoyed your reports because I heard that Martha's Vineyard had declined in fishing over the years, but you can't always believe what you hear, fishermen tend to exaggerate just a little.

I fished out front W of Jones this morning, hit some rocks with some shads. There was a bunch of weeds which made it difficult to fish without hooking them, maybe I'll try the inlet next time on the incoming.

[quote=nitestrikes;20176]So you would recommend the fall as opposed to now, jimbob? I enjoyed your reports because I heard that Martha's Vineyard had declined in fishing over the years, but you can't always believe what you hear, fishermen tend to exaggerate just a little.

The fishing has declined in recent years but there is more to fishing the Vineyard than catching fish yet there always seems to be fish around. I recommend fall because of the Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby, the whole Island caters to fishing and fishermen.

[quote=jimbob;20199]
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    The fishing has declined in recent years but there is more to fishing the Vineyard than catching fish yet there always seems to be fish around. I recommend fall because of the Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby, the whole Island caters to fishing and fishermen.
    I agree, thanks for the advice JB.

I fished the Jones area, west, this morning with fresh bunker. One bass 28", and one 43". Released the big one, kept the small one. Beautiful morning to be out.

I went to Moriches Bay this evening for dusk, I caught 3 Bass I could only catch 1 Bass on a plug then I might get a swirl or a hit but I could not catch another fish on it. as soon as I changed the plug I caught a fish. eventually they stopped hitting at all. I moved to another spot after dark I had a few hits I have to go to work so I called it a night around 10:30
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6160003.jpg   P6160005.jpg  

P6160006.jpg   P6160001.jpg  

I went to Moriches Bay this evening for dusk, I caught 3 Bass I could only catch 1 Bass on a plug then I might get a swirl or a hit but I could not catch another fish on it. as soon as I changed the plug I caught a fish. eventually they stopped hitting at all. I moved to another spot after dark I had a few hits I have to go to work so I called it a night around 10:30

Had that happen to me the other night, but only with bluefish. Had to work over an hour to get 5 bluefish, changing my plug each time I caught a fish. Maybe they get the "How-To.... fishing" magazines down there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Had that happen to me the other night, but only with bluefish. Had to work over an hour to get 5 bluefish, changing my plug each time I caught a fish. Maybe they get the "How-To.... fishing" magazines down there, too.
    I have had that happen to me a few times when you have a lot of small bait around. It's like they hit that plug because you provoked them to, or they think it's competition for their food. Then they realize it doesn't fit the profile of the other bait so they stop until the next plug comes along. Teaser time anyone?

I went to another Moriches Bay spot this morning around dawn. I raised 3 Bass and had one hooked for about a second, but I dropped it. There is a lot of small bait around, a teaser is a good idea. I might have to dig out the flyrod.

I got out again this morning, the winds were light out of the northeast, but the ocean was big so I went to the bay, there I caught 4 Striped Bass and one Bluefish. The Bass were between 22 and 24 inches. The Bluefish was about 2 pounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6210001.jpg   P6210002.jpg  

P6210003.jpg   P6210004.jpg  

P6210005.jpg  

jimbob,
    Nice.
    I always enjoy your pics and reports!!
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Fantastic pics, jb! Fished the Jones area this morning, the beach wasn't that bad just a little windy. 2 bass 29 & 29 1/2" on clams, still swimming.

Out in the ocean this morning, FI area, outgoing, 1 schoolie bass on bucktail and porkrind, 2 sea robins. Waves were sudsy, it was barely fishable. The tide was up a lot higher than it usually is.

West of Jones for the sunrise bite this am. Bass are getting a little bigger, one 24", one 34", rubber shad.

Jones area again this morning. Too many weeds, couldn't present to the fish well. Nothing on the shads, or anything else I threw.

I plugged a NS spot this morning from 3-5am, 2 bass to 26" on a black bomber.

I fished a Fire Island beach area from 4 to 6 this morning, one bass on fresh clams. Bass was 27". Saw schools of bait being worked over by birds, but it was too far to figure it out, and they never came closer.

Default Montauk report

Met up with Mick and Paumanok. Friends we met earlier worked all day for one or 2 dropped fish, but we were there to try, and try we did. Started working the outgoing in the late afternoon. There were birds working bait about 500' offshore. Bait was small, no fish breaking the surface, maybe small bass under them. However it was tough, even fly guys in boats drifting by them did not hook up.

Unfortunately they stayed too far out, but we tried anyway. As it got dark Will and Mick worked the fly rods, and Mick eventually switched over to a spinning rod and rubber and bucktails. Will continued to work the flys, switching to a sinking line, to no avail.

Around dusk I had one missed small bluefish on the pink Ace spook. I don't think he was that hungry, he came out of the water sideways and missed. I think it was an anger strike rather than one out of hunger, because that was it for the evening. Tried swimmers and buvktails into the night, nothing doing.

I got a little surprise when a wave washed something in. Thought it was a big log. I was busy fishin, so I moved my legs apart so it could pass through. I jumped a little as it started moving between my legs. It was a medium size skate, first time that ever happened.

We didn't bring in any fish, though in the morning a guy got a 22# bluefish on a pencil. I would never turn down a 22# bluefish, must have had a head like a basketball. nice catch!

We all had a great time, good times with good friends.

Sunset:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-29-2009 122.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	7151

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-29-2009 123.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	7152

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast