Thread: Breakaway Omega 10' 6" Spinning Rod

Default Breakaway Omega 10' 6" Spinning Rod

From the web site:
    The Omega is a versatile 2 piece, 10 1/2' rod designed for lightness and strength. With a fast action and firmer butt, it is the perfect rod for throwing long range with medium/heavy class lures and spoons.

Rated 2-5 oz.
    This rod lauches metal in the 4 oz range.
    I can cast Rip-Pluggers big wood with no problem.
    The rod handled a 25 pound bass perfectly.
    Matches up nice to a 20-23 oz reel.
    I am using braid and it loves it (not 1 wind knot).
    Great casting, Sunday casted for 8 hours straight!!
    Does not work a pencil.
    Pops polaris style plugs great.
    Casts 1 1/2 oz OK, even can throw 1 oz, but loves the 3-4 oz range, 5 oz handles fine.

Great Rod, when you need to lauch a metal or polaris popper this is THE rod in my mind. And like I said, its great for the BIG wood.
    Each rod is custom made, (I cut 4" off the butt).
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

A buddy of mine just bought this rod recently. He said the action is great and would recommend it to anyone.

Its not my #1 rod, but for throwing 2-5 oz and casting for the most distance, this is my best rod. If it could walk a pencil it may have been #1, but it handles polaris style poppers great. Without a dought, I would reccomend this rod for what I described above.

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonbass View Post
    A buddy of mine just bought this rod recently. He said the action is great and would recommend it to anyone.

I'll have to check it out. I'm looking into a new rod for a friend of mine. He is hitting the big 50.

Used the rod today and threw Ava 27s and 37s for a solid 6 hours straight. Had to cast as far as I could to hook-up, my shoulder aches, but the rod really did what it was supposed to do (cast far). It even loaded and threw a mag-darter a nice distance (but its hard to feel a plug like that with this rod).

Here is a link for the rod
    http://www.breakawayusa.com/products...nks/omega-106/

Monty, for once I won't be copying ya, as I used that rod 3 days ago.....

A friend lent me his after seeing that my 8'6" surf stick was not enough to reach the fish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3635.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	14371

Name:	IMGP3634.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	14369

Name:	IMGP3633.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	14370

I liked it, thought it was a good medium priced rod.

Pros:
    Coupled with a Daiwa Saltiga, the less expensive version, I was able to cast at least 200' each time.You really needed to get out there, and this rod delivers....

Cons:
    I hate all 2 piece rods. Since I really load them up when I cast, eventually they come loose on me unless you epoxy them...

And that's exactly what happened after 15 minutes of hard casting....so I would recommend folks epoxy theirs together if they are really going to lay into the rod....

I modified my Omega, Removed the foam grips and heat shrunk some flocked rubber shrink tube on it.
    Also the rod has spigot ferrule connection. I really torque the rod during casts too Dark, have never had the problem of the rod separating or rotating. Have to make sure its tight.
    I have all my other two piece rods epoxied together, this is the only one I have not epoxied. I am not sure its a good idea to epoxy the spigot ferrule connection.

No need to epoxy a new ferrule system in this day and age, unless it's an ugly stick which are know to seperate.

gotta love it a rod named after a bunker destroying company

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

you can say that again the new ugly stiks are horrible broke 8 of them at the ferrule thats the ugly stik custom I'm done with them tired of returning and paying 15 bucks to do it I guess thats what you get for staying on the low end of the $$ range.I do have an 11' ugly stik that is probably pushing 20 years old and no problems with that nor have I ever broken a 2 pc. rod period besides them so I don't think its me as shakesphere said.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.