Thread: Fishing line

Default Fishing line

I don't know if anyone read my post regarding my line, but I can use a little help here. I am pretty much convinced that it is the fishing line I'm using and need some suggestions for a different line. I have been using 12lb Ande mono and I am looking to make a change. I have never used braid or flourocarbon line as my main line and prefer mono. My previous post is in the main forum under line if you want to check it out.

Thanks,
    Mike O

Mike, is this what you wer talking about?

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=4057

If so, I believe the enswer to your question can be resolved from the details you provided -

"the abrasion is only in the area where I pickup the line off the bail to cast. It is only about an inch long. "

If the line was defective, I believe you would be having random breakoffs, instead of what you helpfully described. I think ripplugger's answer was spot-on. did you get a chance to look at everything with a magnifying glass? There was another forum where guys were complaining about bad batches of Power pro. Of the 6 guys complaining, I bet less than half of them actually took the magnifying glass and closely examined the rollers, tips, and guides to see if there was any abrasion, crack, or worn area at any point of the rod. I use pp all the time and have never had a problem with it other than the wind knots with lighter line. These cracks and abrasions aren't easy to see, Mike. Sometimes you have to review an area more than once. that's why cotton or a q-tip helps, as ripplugger said. Also, if you are only getting it in the area of the roller, you might want to ask yourself Why? It's possible that your roller has a manufacturing defect, in which case they should warranty replace the reel, or at least the bail, if they are a reputable place you got it from. You could try to fix it it it's a small burr, maybe some 400-800 autobody sandpaper, but you really need to be careful if you did something like that. Far better to bring it back to the dealer, and let them take care of it, my bet would be the problem is somewhere in the roller. I know what it's like to have a piece of equipment that doesn't work, it's such a pita to deal with.

Good luck, let us know how you make out with the dealer.

Default Fishing line

Thanks for the reply willie. I have yet to catch a big enough fish with this reel to see if the line breaks off (hope that never happens). As I said in my previous post's this reel is brand new and I did examine the bail roller with a 10X loop,( I use to be a printer) and did not see anything unusual. The bail roller to me is a lot narrower in size compared to my older Daiwa reels that I have. The thing that stumps me the most is that it is only in the area where I pull the line off the bail roller to make a cast! I have rebuilt my old 2600X and will probably fish with that reel this coming week to see if it happens with that reel. If it does I think it will be safe to say that it is the line. BTW it is a new spool of line I purchased this past winter. I guess I'm just trying to avoid having to return the reel with all the BS that is involved with that, if you know what I mean. I'm also going to try puting a different line on the spare spool of the new reel. If all else fails, back to Daiwa it will go.

Mike O

Mike, if you're respooling with new line, try Sufix mono, Tritanium is the type a few friends and I are starting to use.

Prior to this year, I had heard of sufix from other guys, figured what's the big deal, mono is mono. Unless it's a real cheap brand, you can find decent quality in all types of mono makers if you look long enough.

Remember that places like Walmart usually carry the cheapest lines from a manufacturer, and you are not always getting a bargain at their "bargain prices". I say this because I see Walmart now carries Sufix, but it's not the tritanium line.

I don't know what the process is to make that line, it can't be that much different from the other lines. But the performance is outstanding. Guys I know are using 12 and 17 lb Tritanium mono to bring in bigger fish 20+, with no problem.

The strength of that line is amazing. I was fishin a shad a few months ago, a friend let me borrow his reel when mine crapped out. I got the shad stuck in the rocks, and I could not break the line with my hands. I had to wrap it around my arm a few times like braid, and then was able to break it.

It's got my vote for mono, and I'm a guy who fished Berkeley and Ande for many years (when I fish mono). I expect you will hear more and more about this line as more fishermen try it.

There are no big dollar marketing campaigns I know of, only word-of-mouth from guys who fish a lot, and fish hard. Great line.

Default sea-striker clear

another mono you can try is sea-striker clear,it's cheap,soft and casts good.
    I fish with it in 20-30 pound on my reels[all winches], and I'll tell ya what.I got stuck with a smiling bill,i pulled the line and it came loose,I brought in a brick with mussels all over it.
    my local B&t sells it for $3.95 a spool.
    my local wally-mart sells the tritainium,'ll try a spool.

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Thanks for the reply willie. I have yet to catch a big enough fish with this reel to see if the line breaks off (hope that never happens). As I said in my previous post's this reel is brand new and I did examine the bail roller with a 10X loop,( I use to be a printer) and did not see anything unusual. The bail roller to me is a lot narrower in size compared to my older Daiwa reels that I have. The thing that stumps me the most is that it is only in the area where I pull the line off the bail roller to make a cast! I have rebuilt my old 2600X and will probably fish with that reel this coming week to see if it happens with that reel. If it does I think it will be safe to say that it is the line. BTW it is a new spool of line I purchased this past winter. I guess I'm just trying to avoid having to return the reel with all the BS that is involved with that, if you know what I mean. I'm also going to try puting a different line on the spare spool of the new reel. If all else fails, back to Daiwa it will go.

Mike O

Mike,

did you check under the bail near the roller,there has to be a rough spot somewhere around there.
    you an also try going through the motions of opening the bail like you're gonna cast to see what the line touches,it must be rubbing somewhere around there!

R-P

I have a bailess reel that I have the same problem with. I use Fireline, it is not braid but some sort of fused line. Anyway, I am conditioning myself to pull it off the roller differently than I had been. It seems to be working. Try to consciously change your habit and see if it works.

Take the roller off the bail and check for rough edges I use cotton balls this is also how I check my guides every year some reels have a bushing under the roller and if that cracks it will not allow the line to come off properly hangs up the roller on the cast and frays the line.

Default Line

OK guys, I'm pretty sure it was the Ande line. I went to ****'s and purchased a different line. They did not have the Sufix Tritanium, but while I was shopping I started talking to a guy and he recommended this P-line fluroclear. I figured I would give it a shot. After casting for several hours early Sat. morning I did not notice any abrasion. Now all I have to do is catch a fish,LOL to see if it holds up under the strain. This line casted well and seemed very strong for it's small diameter. I also bought some Trilene XT mono, but have yet to try it. Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep you posted.

Mike O

I was following the advice here and thought for sure it was the line roller as some of the guys thought. Glad that worked out for you.

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    OK guys, I'm pretty sure it was the Ande line. I went to ****'s and purchased a different line. They did not have the Sufix Tritanium, but while I was shopping I started talking to a guy and he recommended this P-line fluroclear. I figured I would give it a shot. After casting for several hours early Sat. morning I did not notice any abrasion. Now all I have to do is catch a fish,LOL to see if it holds up under the strain. This line casted well and seemed very strong for it's small diameter. I also bought some Trilene XT mono, but have yet to try it. Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep you posted.

Mike O

I hate to think it is the line but I cannot doubt your word,ande is a good line.
    at any rate,glad it seems to be working for ya.

R-P

Default Line

I'm just going to chalk this one up to a bad spool of line. I will keep an eye on it, but so far so good. Thanks.

Mike O

Default line

Hi Mike-O,

how ya been making out with the line thing??

R-P

Default line

I fished for several hours this past weekend in the pouring rain, checked the new line several times and it appears to be OK. Even when bucking that strong south wind I had no problems (line twist or bird nest's). I'll keep you posted.

Mike O