Thread: boaters to surfcasters

Default boaters to surfcasters

How many surfcasters out there used to be boaters? Why did you give up the boat?

I used to own 3 boats and did 80% of my fishing from them.
    I started selling them off 6 years ago, and still have my 20 footer winterized since 04, in my yard. It's about to go to a new home.
    I have gone exclusively surf, and don't even get on a friends boat anymore.
    The reason? It bores me.
    Without sounding pretentious, or braggardly, I simply know my home waters so well that finding and catching Bass was no longer a challenge from what I now call floating reefs.
    I enjoy the challenge of Surf casting, the determination it takes to fish in places and in ways that put the advantage to the Bass.
    I no longer use bait either, with the exception of Eels, and make all my own plugs, or use plugs made by friends that I trade for.
    I grew up fishing both methods with the old man, commercial, and at this point in my life, as it was when I was a much younger man, I hear the call of the crashing surf deep in my soul.
    To put it into perspective, the last logged season from my boat had over 3,000 fish landed and released, over 80 kept. Largest fish was 68lbs 9 ounces, largest number in a size range was 30 to 35 lbs over 1,000.
    Last year, exclusively surf, 700 fish, no trend in size ranges, but a large number of 40 plus. 1 kept. I'd rather not state the largest I landed and released, it causes flames. It is my personal best though.
    God is Great, Beer is Good, People are crazy.

An experienced fishermen to say the least. Have you ever written any books?

Being a past boater can you put some insight as to why some boaters come in close to the surf and intentionally or unintentionally cause stress to the surfcasters? What is your opinion on the subject?

I actually have 3 books in various stages of completion. 1 has garnered some interest from a publisher, and is being reviewed for the third time.

Boaters that encroach on surf casters are usually the ignorant type, have no clue how to read bottom structure on the fish finder, never heard of Capt. Seagull's charts, and utilize only the knowledge they gained during the time they were standing on the beach, usually with a sand spike and a chunk of bunker.
    They are usually blitz chasers and 9 out of 10 times they come up on the school motors maxed and put the fish down and out as soon as they get there. It's amazing what the fumes from an outboard will do to the average persons brain. Worse than Crack at times.
    God is Great, Beer is Good, People are crazy.

I find that when out on the jetties the majority of boaters say away. However, if one drifts close and we signal them to move on out we very seldom get ignored.

I sold my boat last year as well,,, after it sat idle on the trailer in my yard for a couple years. SC1 nailed it. It's the challenge to me. It's not that hard to land a big fish in a boat. To land a big fish while breakers are crashing over your head, or while swimming is a whole different ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    Being a past boater can you put some insight as to why some boaters come in close to the surf and intentionally or unintentionally cause stress to the surfcasters?
    Most of the time I think it's because that's where the fish are. Striped bass go where the bait is, and their primary food sources tend to hug the shorelines much of the time,,, within a few hundred yards anyway. Boaters need to respect the surfcaster's range and lack of mobility and fish where they will not adversly affect the chances of those who choose not to waste their money on a boat.

Stripercoast Surfcasters Club
    Dedicated to Conservation