Thread: NJ Rocks

Default NJ Rocks

I'm new at this and could use some help guys. Just got the vidcam, and have a lot of concerns about shooting video out there.

In a lot of others, there doesn't seem to be much concern about broadcasting the spot, that bothers me.

It bothers me so much in the past few months Ive gotten into some pretty intense discussions with web site owners and moderators. On some sites out there, my posts are restricted because of some of the respectful comments Ive made about spot burning.

I don't care, I'll never publically broadcast spots just to boost membership here. I think we as website owners bear a lot of responsibility for what happens when too many people show up at a place because of an internet report.

I'll be damned if I follow that lead.

So I'm asking for honest feedback about these videos, and what your opinion is of how much of the area is showcased in it.

I know some guys who fish 7 days a week may recognize a place. My goal is to make it NOT recognizable to the other 98% of people.

I take that challenge to myself seriously. When the idea of posting fishing videos was presented to me, I said that's the only way I would consider doing this, to show the experience, various techniques, or the fish, and diligently avoid showing the spot.

So let's hear it, I need and want your honest feedback. The first videos won't be anything special. If you're lookin for big fish don't waste your time clicking on them.

But tell me what you think, and what I and others could do better. I'll listen, and if any video is judged too sensitive, I'll pull it immediately.

Thanks for all your help, guys and girls.

Default NJ rocks1

This is just footage of the sunrise and the waves breaking over the rocks, and us. Kinda boring for most people, except for people like me. I could look at this thing 100 times and not get bored, but that's just me and whitewater. No fish pics in here.

GUIDELINES FOR WATCHING THESE VIDEOS FOR PEOPLE WHO MAY NOT HAVE A LOT OF RAM, DRAM, AND SPEED:

For now, they are unedited so maybe a little long and boring. Just drag the cursor along the bottom to skip what you want. For people who don't have lots of RAM or DRAM memory, click the "HD" button on the right side so it's "OFF". It will play faster.

Default NJ rocks2

This was shot by AA. His hands are a lot steadier than mine. Truth be told, dude has mad skiz.

Where are the videos Dark?

Quote Originally Posted by BassBuddah View Post
    Where are the videos Dark?
    You need to have Flash player installed if you dont already. Also guys, if you click the little blue box next to where it says Vimeo, it goes fullscreen... Videos look great Rich

Those videos look very clear to me. I don't fish the jetties much but I can't tell where you took them. Dark don't you think you're a little close to the edge there? Otherwise, nice job, beautiful shots of the sunrise.

Bababooey, the camera shoots in HD, I couldn't be happier with the resolution. When you hit the full screen feature it makes it like you're at the movies. Gotta give props to AA who was a real PITA about me getting that camera, but now I can see why. And he's a better videographer than me, pans in and out and left to right, without camera shake, which is something I need to work on. Thanks, AA, you nailed this one, great recommendations.

As for bein on the edge, that's like where I like to be.

More than a few guys have said something to me about it. Even though you're out in the ocean, sometimes those fish are at the farthest end of your cast, and not on the sides. As the tide goes out, there are rocks in your way, so I like to be on the furthest one possible. You only want to try this on the outgoing if you can, though. Otherwise ya might need a wet suit, especially on some of the notched sets of rocks.

Where's yer korkers, lad?

You have the quality down, have to work on some content

my early videos are comical when i see them. on youtube i loose so much quality due to the compression, what ever that host is looks great.

When i started on youtube 3 yeas ago it was mostly walleye and pike videos and video blew up like i knew it would.

background and protecting areas is very hard, just last week bass blitzed on bunker and as luck would have it my camera shutters wouldt open all the way and it woulndt zoom, damn salt air, when I looked it later i culd see bass busting but far wit no zooom and a huge land mark in th background

Quote Originally Posted by SharkHart View Post
    You have the quality down, have to work on some content

my early videos are comical when i see them. on youtube i loose so much quality due to the compression, what ever that host is looks great.

When i started on youtube 3 yeas ago it was mostly walleye and pike videos and video blew up like i knew it would.

background and protecting areas is very hard, just last week bass blitzed on bunker and as luck would have it my camera shutters wouldt open all the way and it woulndt zoom, damn salt air, when I looked it later i culd see bass busting but far wit no zooom and a huge land mark in th background

Shark, that video host is Vimeo .. they are great.. I have been watching the videos on there for over a year.. very dedicated people on there who are serious about their work..... thanks for the advice buddy......

Thanks for the honest feedback Shark, and other guys. Coming from a guy with the experience and talent you have, it means a lot.

Dogfish, my wading boots have studs on the bottom. I had Korkers that day, but someone didn't have any, so he got to wear mine. I don't want to see a newer guy get hurt out there, so there will be times when I lend mine out.

Hey nice video Dark, very colorful. Now all you need is some fish in it!!

Still no fish. Had them in front of us for a few minutes today. These are the rocks I fished from. Beautiful white water.

great quality, the fish will come,then u get to sacfrice catching others for filming

are you using any mixing program?

I have t convert every clip into another format then I use movie maker and its pretty much a night mare and long

Sooner or later I am going to make some with my better camera and buy Adobe Premiere Elements

Surf and video is hard to because of the wading belt, i often leave it off to be able to reach for the camera BUT i mght drown

Right now it's raw video I'm puttin up there, the host converts it as you download. I'm going to have to jump into editing, but I got some people who said they would help till I get the hang of it.

There is only so long you can look at a real-time video. Most people want editing so they can see what appears to be constant action, even though we both know that doesn't happen in real life. So ya gotta keep it busy, interesting, to keep the interest factor up..

The editing process intimidates me. I'm an impatient SOB, tried it years ago and the rendering was painfully slow. I guess the only solution to that is , more power and memory for the PC, and to suck it up and DO IT!!!

I got so many cool hardcore tunes in mind for those waves crashing down, it's driving me crazy not to do it yet. Thanks for the feedback.

That's because you need a workhorse computer like the one I just built.
    Rich you have no idea how fast this thing renders. If you ever want to invest in one, let me know and I'll build you one from scratch. Same to you SharkHart. The Intel i7 Processor is amazing.. Look up the benchmarks on it.