View Poll Results: A nice day fishing with action (no big fish) or bunker chasing

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nice day on the water

12 80.00%
  • Biunker chasing mayhem

3 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Type of fishin poll

Default Car Sick

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Well the other day when I saw the 3 trucks barrel down the road and the guys jump out and scan the beach, then speed away,

Now, I don't care how you fish or go about it- but years ago a guy wanted me to go plugging with him late fall, said OK. I'm dressed for the weather. He pulls down a side street, jumps out with glasses in hand, no stick/bag. I grab my bag and stick and he says to me Where ya goin?. I'm starting my walk. He says there's nothing going on, no splashes, nothing. I said I don't care what's going on above the surface, I want to see what's passing us by.

Drove around like this for hours, asking everybody he saw, Get anything?, Get anything?. What the hell do I care if they got anything, you won't even let me cast. Finally told him to let me out, was getting car sick, pick me up on one of the 800 trips you'll be making back and forth. I don't mind moving around to some spots I like, but not a 1000 stops in 12 hours, never casting, just looking. Never went with him again.

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    I'm like Monty. I enjoy my walking and seeking out Bass. I don't care for the muggings and am usually solo, even when I meet up with the regulars my distance is far from them. I'm happy to catch as long as I see stripes, big or small. There is no right or wrong, it's whatever style you choose, doesn't matter to me. Some plug strickly for big, some for quantity, some for bragging rights, I guess I plug just for personal satisfaction. Like Monty said "We each fish for different reasons". Im usually walking off the beach when the hoardes are just coming on, I prefer the dark into first light. I guess I'm just a plugger that's waiting for the Bass to come to me.

"We each fish for different reasons", yet somehow the night seems able to accomodate us with all our quirks. Well said, surfwalker, well said.

On the occasions when I fish the surf, I'm in for the peace and quiet. Stopping and starting at 800 locations before I get a chance to fish seems like an Indy 500 race to me. I like mellow.

My normal outing is OTW at 1:00 am and finished up between 7:00 and 9:00 am. Walking the beach the complete time. While false dawn normally brings some special action, I am sad to see the dark slip away. Then when it is time to call it a day, I still usually feel that I would like to be out there longer. I like having a decent size area to plug, I kind of get in tune with the surroundings, the water. I develope a pattern of some sort fishing the different types of water while walking the beach. Getting lost in the pursuit of catching Stripers. Its not really relaxing to me. But it does rejuvinate me. The mind is completely engulfed in the surf fishing experience. Jumping from spot to spot just doesn't do it for me.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I kind of see a pattern for certain fisherman. Maybe a lot of these guys are new at striper fishing and all they want to do is get into big fish. It seems (I have limited experience in this area, so its JMHO) that this is a specific technique (the way a person fishes).
    It includes the following:
    1. Locating bunker schools
    2. Standing around jetties
    3. Cell phones (networking)
    dude that sux but its part of the routine when u live in dirty jersey. i cant stand the guys who hang around wiating and they wont even make a cast till someone is into fish. i call them peacocks.

I'm all for option one. I got myself some fish without being mugged.

I like Option 1, I work a section of beach, and if the Bunker move in, I may walk towards them, if no one is around. I use to chase them most times it a wast of time. It about fishing structure with me. It's more fun reading the water and succeeding in reading it right.

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    It's more fun reading the water and succeeding in reading it right.
    Sure is, gotta love it!!

Options 1 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBuddah View Post
    "We each fish for different reasons", yet somehow the night seems able to accomodate us with all our quirks. Well said, surfwalker, well said.

X2

Wink monty

i wood have to say 1 if the other guys land big fish so be it my time will come

Default Re: monty

Anyone can catch fish in a bunker blitz. Cast, pop, retrieve, land fish, pump chest, and repeat.

Default Re: monty

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    i wood have to say 1 if the other guys land big fish so be it my time will come

X2 speedy.

Two options for a fishing day:

Option 1
    Ready to fish at 5:00 AM .You fish till 11:00 AM pluging a mile of beach with a few rock piles, white water, overcast, slight east wind. You land 8 stripers between 22 inches and 29 inches. Miss a couple hits. Catch 4 blue fish (10 pounds in quick blitz situation). A good morning fishing, saw no one else, lots of action.

Option 2.
    You are ready to fish at 5:00. You drive around checking beaches for pods of bunker. Up 1 street, down the next. Town to town.
    You see a bunker pod at 6:30, run down to the beach, hang for three hours, the fish stay out there. You go back to the truck, more driving and looking. Lunch at a diner, More driving, phone call at 1:30, head to the area, run to the jetty, join 25 others, hook up and land two fish, one 25 pounds, the other 42 pounds. Loose another big fish in the lines of others. You are done fishing at 3:00 PM.

I thought about this as I was hitting the beach Monday morning and 3 trucks come flying down the side street, guys jump out, look up and down the beach, jump back in their trucks and speed away.
    I think you should add to this.
    Option 3 - fishing a flat featureless beach where the jetties have been buried. You would like to goto the RIPS but everyone is there because there is no place elsewhere to fish cause there are no jetties! I really hope after this beach replenishment there are some jetties left!

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    I think you should add to this.
    Option 3 - fishing a flat featureless beach where the jetties have been buried. You would like to goto the RIPS but everyone is there because there is no place elsewhere to fish cause there are no jetties! I really hope after this beach replenishment there are some jetties left!
    Where the heck is PETA when you need them????
    Burying and killing all the crabs, clams, mussels, snails all that living stuff that fish feed on buried and killed under all that sand and not a peep out of them.
    How would all the PETA members like it if they were buried under 6 feet of sand?

Where the heck is PETA when you need them????
    Burying and killing all the crabs, clams, mussels, snails all that living stuff that fish feed on buried and killed under all that sand and not a peep out of them.
    How would all the PETA members like it if they were buried under 6 feet of sand?
    I don't know if anyone has been to long branch or deal lately. Everything south of the windmill is getting covered with sand as of this month. I took a ride down there after the himar flea market today and its enough to make you sick! We will have no place left to fish. When you talk about peta monty I was kind of thinking that too. There are dams and stream projects throughout the US that get stopped because of a certain snail, tree frog, or horned owl, etc. PETA is strong in these cases and the animal activists are all over the news. Where were they for the beach replenishment? Lots of wildlife is getting killed and buried. I know it sucks for us fishermen but how come no animal activists are involved in this one. They are killing creatures by the millions. I don't think those areas will ever come back.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I don't know if anyone has been to long branch or deal lately. Everything south of the windmill is getting covered with sand as of this month. I took a ride down there after the himar flea market today and its enough to make you sick! We will have no place left to fish. When you talk about peta monty I was kind of thinking that too. There are dams and stream projects throughout the US that get stopped because of a certain snail, tree frog, or horned owl, etc. PETA is strong in these cases and the animal activists are all over the news. Where were they for the beach replenishment? Lots of wildlife is getting killed and buried. I know it sucks for us fishermen but how come no animal activists are involved in this one. They are killing creatures by the millions. I don't think those areas will ever come back.
    Makes me sick too.
    I made like 15 fishing trips ocean side in Jersey last year up to August.
    It may be close to zero this year.
    Its absolutely stupid spending that much $$ on something very temporary, killing so much of the ocean side wildlife.
    I can't actually believe they did this, it makes no sense.

Fishing in NY was nothing to write home to mother about except for DS reports he got second hand look at the reports here and other sights. Even the Meca ( Montauk) was dead.

Deal and LB are next

Even the outer banks has issues

It's only going to get worse everywhere, the Obama administration and NOAA hate recreational fisherman

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Fishing in NY was nothing to write home to mother about except for DS reports he got second hand look at the reports here and other sights. Even the Meca ( Montauk) was dead.

Deal and LB are next

Even the outer banks has issues

It's only going to get worse everywhere, the Obama administration and NOAA hate recreational fisherman
    Hear anything about the Striped Bass fishing in California?
    Sounds like the East coast is DOOMED

I agree with clamchucker and also option 1.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12