Thread: VS or ZeeBaaS?

Default VS or ZeeBaaS?

Since it's in the forum title, I thought I'd start a thread about it.

I've fished with both, and own a second generation ZeeBaaS, single roller manual pickup. I fish the hell out of the Z and it has exceeded my expectations. It regularly spends at least 10 hours a week completely submerged while skishing and has operated flawlessly. Once, after opening it to check the grease, I didn't get the side plate thumb screw tight enough and got a tiny bit of water inside over the course of the next month, but that was my fault entirely. It is super easy to service myself, unlike a VS. Some folks with the dual rollers have complained about the line catching on a roller during the cast. I have NEVER had that problem with the single roller.

The main thing I didn't like about the VS reels that I've used was that they all seemed to be excessively stiff to crank. This really turned me off as I really like to feel the action of the plug or jig in the handle. Reeling the VS I felt disconnected from the plug and the stiffness was just plain annoying. They say that they loosen up over time, but both reels I tried were a couple years old, had been fished regularly, and were still way too stiff for me. Also, it sucks that they're now made in China. They shot themselves in the foot there, in my opinion.

Stripercoast Surfcasters Club
    Dedicated to Conservation

Hi Jake,
    I fish with a VS250, sometimes VS150 and I agree on the stiffness while cranking. The ones I have are not the smoothest (but I am OK with the amount of reel stiffness). I treat the reels rough, submerge them, sand. Not nearly as much as you, but I know of no other reel that would stand for the treatment I give them (with the exception of the ZB).
    I am extremely happy with the Van Staals (they meet my expectations).
    I read a few complaints on the ZB (last year), that out of the boxes there were problems and they were fixed by the manufacturer.
    I think the ZBs cost a few hundred more that a VS. Also how stable is the company that makes a ZB?
    Sounds like based on your report, the ZB you have is better than a VS (reliability in rough conditions the same, exceptional smoothness of the ZB).
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I'll chime in.
    I've had my first generation for over a year now.
    I have abused this reel like no other I have ever owned.
    The same treatment would have destroyed beyond repair a dozen Penn Greenies.
    I had 1 problem, and Zee took care of it without a blink. They replaced my clutch with a brand new 3rd generation, and fully serviced the reel including new "O" rings while I waited and watched at the shop.

The biggest thing, It's made in "U.S.A.". When Van moved manufacturing to china, they put many Americans out of work so they could increase their profit margin and failed to pass the savings on to the customer. They still need a special tool to service and lube them and no longer carry a life time warrantee.
    I will save the extra couple of hundred for a Zee knowing that I am keeping my money where it should be, in the country I served, and love.

I like Jakes newer version but would love to find another 1st generation for sale, I really love this reel.
    God is Great, Beer is Good, People are crazy.