Thread: Show your flys and teasers!

Default Re: Show your flys and teasers!

Nice looking job jb!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	articulated_shank.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	17209this may be too ambitious LOL! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish_skulls.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	17210 weighted heads look good

Default Re: Surfstix' Teasers and the fish they catch.......

OK so I have been obsessed with tying my own flies. Low and behold my very first fly. Ladies and gentlemen I present to you my Lefty Deceiver.

Name:	20130624_141130.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	17217

Nice job, you've got it.If that's your first one you can tie mine...
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Nice job, you've got it.If that's your first one you can tie mine...

Thanks! I am trying. That is my nature- I obsess and try and figure everything out. I do notice and have to work on when I tie, I can't make things 100% even. I know that 100% perfection is probably #1 not necessary and #2 not possible, but the OCD in me likes things to be even, LOL! I just ordered some UV Knot Sense to use (put it on and run out side- LOL!)for building my heads. I like the look of the large eyes with the epoxy heads, but my wife is about to shoot me so I can't throw another chunk of money at the bigger bottle of the Loon UV Glue and Light.

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    , but my wife is about to shoot me so I can't throw another chunk of money at the bigger bottle of the Loon UV Glue and Light.

Remember that if momma ain't happy then nobody's happy! Nice work gents.

Thanks! I am trying. That is my nature- I obsess and try and figure everything out. I do notice and have to work on when I tie, I can't make things 100% even. I know that 100% perfection is probably #1 not necessary and #2 not possible, but the OCD in me likes things to be even, LOL! I just ordered some UV Knot Sense to use (put it on and run out side- LOL!)for building my heads. I like the look of the large eyes with the epoxy heads, but my wife is about to shoot me so I can't throw another chunk of money at the bigger bottle of the Loon UV Glue and Light.
    Im the same way, just recently started tying and don't have much experience but the OCD in me will keep undoing the fly until its good.

Very nice deceiver.

Has anyone ever taken the rear hook off of your swimmers and attached a leader and fly to that? I have to be honest , I am almost ready to grab a wood dowl and dril out the center and use it as casting plug for the fly. In other words, I really just want to fish the fly but I don't want to get back into buying a fly rod,....any ideas?

rob I think I read something here about a casting egg. Maybe finchaser started the thread. Do a search. nice tie for your first time, great thread here thanks for sharing the beautiful work fellas.

Here are a couple more. The purple deceiver my Wife tied in the hackle feathers (one fell out, LOL! I don't think that one will last) and a simple baitfish pattern using EP fiber. I am not sure if the baitfish will last (at least the eyes) I super glued them on but not sure overall about it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	purple deceiver.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	17223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baitfish.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	17224

sorry, I hope I am not annoying. But I trimmed my lil baitfish to make it look better and my wife has some spray glitter glue. I shot the top of my baitfish to give it more of a mullet look. I am curious how it will do in water.

Name:	trimmed and painted.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	17225

The glitter will fall off eventually but on the positive side it will add flash and as the glitter falls off it will appear to look like tiny scales to a predator.What material is that?I'm going to shoot you a PM.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

The glitter will fall off eventually but on the positive side it will add flash and as the glitter falls off it will appear to look like tiny scales to a predator.What material is that?I'm going to shoot you a PM.
    EP Fibers 3D Enrico Puglisi - Baitfish Belly Cream but I am not sure if I like it all that much. What I do like is the deceiver fly. The white feathers (I think they are rooster hackles- is that correct?) and the bucktail. Looks great in the water. I ordered some rabbit strips to do some zonkers. I used to fish zonkers for largemouth a lot. I just got a package with baitfish emulator and some fishskulls. I will post a pic as soon as I am done tying one.

Name:	20130627_153014.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	17230

Here is the baitfish emulator fly. I think the long fibers will get caught up in the hook. This is the 5.5" long. I think the 3.5" long would be better for 2/0 and smaller.

Very nice work gents.

If you don't like the EP fibers the other place I sent you a PM about is probably the same stuff only cheaper it does have it's place though.
    EP Fibers 3D Enrico Puglisi - Baitfish Belly Cream but I am not sure if I like it all that much. What I do like is the deceiver fly. The white feathers (I think they are rooster hackles- is that correct?) and the bucktail. Looks great in the water. I ordered some rabbit strips to do some zonkers. I used to fish zonkers for largemouth a lot. I just got a package with baitfish emulator and some fishskulls. I will post a pic as soon as I am done tying one.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

If you don't like the EP fibers the other place I sent you a PM about is probably the same stuff only cheaper it does have it's place though.
    I am probably tying it wrong- But when it's wet it doesn't flow like feathers or hair does, well it does just not as smoothly.

No it doesn't you can try tying some white bucktail under the EP fibers for support or tie down a mono loop off the back of the hook
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

ok got another one.Baitfish. I used baitfish emulator for the body and polar flash for the top in aqua rainbow. I used huge eyes. I wanted to see how the UV knot sense works. Man it is harder than it looks. One of the eyes started to curve from the glue but I got it to cure before it got too bad. I am not entirely happy with the choice of a red eye and the size of it on the fly but hey that's what experimenting is all about. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130702_155351.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	17240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130702_155816.jpg 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	17241

Name:	b (1).jpg 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	17242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b (2).jpg 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	17243 another one- this one I used a silver eye. Much better eye choice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast