Thread: Tica rod review

Default Tica rod review

I had a nice 10' Tica, the eyes broke and then the blank broke twice surf fishing.
    Others say the same thing
    Daiwa eliminator i had many years ago was indestructible, as well as the 9' m-h ugly stick.

I agree about the tica, your review is right on. Think they are a decent rod for the $$ if you're just playing around with schoolie bass and some small bluefish. The second you start getting into fish with shoulders, you run the risk of snapping them.

As for uglystik, they're not always indestructible. If you match an ugly stik with braid, toss in a couple 15-20lb bluefish, you could break that rod. Great replacement policy, tho.

I have had a Tica Dolphin 9footer for 2 years now. I think it's a great value for a lower end rod. It says 1-3 oz, but the most I usually throw with it is 2 oz. Gets my vote. I have heard some complaints from some others about the guides, though.

I have a tica dolphin ueha I think? It seems to be a good all around rod. I don't beat the crap out of it, but for the most part it holds up. Biggest bluefish I ever caught on it was 15lbs, biggest bass close to that size, takes a licking and still keeps on ticking.

I have 2 tica rods 9 ft. I think they are great for the money. I'm replacing my guides on my first rod and it about 4 yrs old. it seen alot of big bass to the mid 20 pound range and held up fine. I picked both rods up for around 80 dollars.

Can't speak for Tica but I have had 5 ugly stik custom rods and all have snapped it would be a great rod if it didn't break all the time.They keep sending new ones but I think if something happens to the last one they just sent me I'm done.I will go get a 10 ft. lami or St. Croix my 11' lami never broke I guess you get what you pay for.

surfstix, I agree with you, it's not too hard to break an ugly stik. They have a great promo and people believing in the hype however.

fatboy dan - notice they don't show repeated dunkings in salt water, and what the moisture will to the the 2 piece

Love this one, you're NOT going fishing today!!!!! :

Default Ugly stik

The new custom surf is the one that keeps breaking I do have an old ugly stik that is problem free but that one is probably 15 yrs. old but after all the problems I am done with them.Don't care what the big guy says.

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    fatboy dan - notice they don't show repeated dunkings in salt water, and what the moisture will to the the 2 piece

That's why people believe the hype, I don't think uglystik thought about daily surf use and wetting it over and over.

I like the tica. Mine's an 8', great schoolie rod.

Snapped two 8 ft tica surf rods this year. Did it right as the cast was at my shoulder coming over. Mid rod both times using ava 27s. Have a 10 footer that I'm very happy with. If the tica breaks again I'm going ugly stik.

Default UEHA 9 ft.

damn,the words about these rods makes me wince.
    I just ordered one in winch style rating is 2-6 but it feels more like it may be more like 1.5-4.
    well,I guess I'll have to see.
    I'll give it a chance and if it throws a rod,I'm going to buy another shimano scimitar in Xtra-heavy @ 1-3.
    I throw 4 oz wood with them and lay into it too.

thanks folks
    R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

if u guys want a rod at a good price and holds up try d blue i have three i have the classic rods they have other rod lines that cost more when i got the first rod i was sure it would break i was wrong i like it so much i got rid of my tsunami i have two 10 ft and a 9 the lady who u will deal with is very nice she will try to help if there is problem give it a look tite lines and good fishin