Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY fishing reports for July 2009

Fished SI yesterday got 5 Fluke on white Gulp. Tide was mid outgoing wind from the south. There's lots of Peanuts and spearing around.

Did anyone get spike weakies yet?

Hit a place where the water goes out this morning for fluke, Jones area. Got 2 to 17" with a bucktail and PR, pink zoom teaser. Bugs were bad, weeds were ok. I cut out of there early because of the bugs, not worth it for a few short fluke.

"Did anyone get spike weakies yet?" Nothing for me yet. A buddy is catching them in the GSB area at night, not spikes, bigger ones to 32", ledhead and rubber. I'll have to bribe him to let me tag along one of these nights. The thing that sux is he goes out every night, and maybe 1 out of 5 nights hooks into a weakie. I think there are a lot less of them around this year.

Played hooky today and went fishing on a friend's boat to get in on some of the bunker action. There were so many pods of bunker it was unreal! Not a lot of bass, tho, at least we didn't see any. Got one bass 21# drifting bunker at 7am, hey at least we got one. A lot of the guys we talked to said it was better at 5am. There were so many boats off Fire island I thought I was at the boat show. I bet it will be a zoo tomorrow, and less fish caught bacause of the insane traffic. Still, it was fun, and a beautiful day out, a little swell, but not that bad.

7dp, I saw the flotilla as I was driving this morning. God I wish I could have taken the day off. Sometimes it really does pay to have a boat.

Fished SI from 2:30pm to 8PM. The last 2 hours of the Incoming thru Mid outgoing. Many large schools of peanut bunker. I caught 1 spike Weakie about 15 inches. 10 Fluke to 19 inches. and 2 cocktail Blues, all on Gulp minnows in white. 2 Gentlemen next to me got 2 weakies 1 at 18 inches, and the other at 16.5 inches. They kept both, and they where caught on live Peanut Bunker. All my fish were released.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    7dp, I saw the flotilla as I was driving this morning. God I wish I could have taken the day off. Sometimes it really does pay to have a boat.
    Yeah I was informed of that great bite too. Thought of bringing the kayak over there, but didn't want to battle all those boats . Glad some of you guys are getting into them, save some for the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    Fished SI from 2:30pm to 8PM. The last 2 hours of the Incoming thru Mid outgoing. Many large schools of peanut bunker. I caught 1 spike Weakie about 15 inches. 10 Fluke to 19 inches. and 2 cocktail Blues, all on Gulp minnows in white. 2 Gentlemen next to me got 2 weakies 1 at 18 inches, and the other at 16.5 inches. They kept both, and they where caught on live Peanut Bunker. All my fish were released.
    Happy Day! to hear about some weakies, seems the reports are starting to filter in, thanks for the news.

A lot of people don't realize how abundant they used to be. They talk about "cycles" I remember going to Sandy Hook over 10 years ago, when the real Hook actually existed over by the Bug Light. It extended about another 200' out into the water. You would walk over to the point, seine yourself some fresh spearing with a small seine net you brought out there, and cast 10 feet out right into the channel.

Right around this time of year, you would find all the sharpies and old timers concentrated within 250' of that point. We all fished together and gave each other space. The only problem was when the drunk guys in the boats came too close on the weekends. Then they would get an earful from the old-timers.

It was the first place I learned to bring a contractor's apron with me to hold the spearing.

All you had to do is make a few casts out into the channel, and you would have either a fluke, weakie up to 20", sometimes bigger, and the fishin was great there. At times a short or legal bass was actually caught, middle of the day, I kid you not.

That fishin is back in the dusty corners of my mind, because I haven't seen anything like it since. Good memories, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    All you had to do is make a few casts out into the channel, and you would have either a fluke, weakie up to 20", sometimes bigger, and the fishin was great there. At times a short or legal bass was actually caught, middle of the day, I kid you not.
    Wow I can't even imagine fishing like that. Stripers in the middle of the day, without a blitz?

I fished west of Jones and E of Breezy last night, one bass 29" on bunker chunks. Also caught a few dogfish, it seems they are everywhere this year.

We got 9 bluefish in SI last night, and were using bunkers. The bigger one was 28", very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by vpass View Post
    Fished SI yesterday got 5 Fluke on white Gulp. Tide was mid outgoing wind from the south. There's lots of Peanuts and spearing around.

Did anyone get spike weakies yet?
    No, but I hope they come around soon. I was fishing a beach to the east yesterday, right after the rain. I was close to an inlet, and was chunking with bunker, only redbirds and skates. I saw a commotion near the inlet and brought my gear over. We had about an hour of nice bluefish action throwing bucktails and jigs. I got 6 to 10#.

I fished yesterday, and today in the same area in SI after work from 4:30 to 7:00pm on the Incoming. lots of bait around. Yesterday I didn't land anything., but had a few nice size fish on, taking drag. All my fin-s coming back in on pieace. Today I landed 2 short weakies, and a short fluke. and lots of half eaten Plastics.
    I was using pink Fin-S on jighead. I heard the talk of bigger blues on bunker amoung the locals.

Fished SI mid outgoing. Peanut were being harassed. I casted everything I had without a hit. decided to snag and drop. I had one take, and I snapped the line on the hook setting.

The fishing gods smiled on me tonight. Fresh bunker chunks, E of Hempstead, from sunset to about an hour ago. 2 bass to 30", kept the smaller one because I caught it first. Also got a massive hit about 5 minutes after I threw my lines in, I think it was a big ray or some kind of shark, but I'm not sure because I had to cut the line. It took too much out and I couldn't get it in. I'm glad I wasn't too far from that rod.

wtg nitestrikes. I was out on the SS last night after the rain throwing bucktails. I couldn't buy a hit, hey that's fishing.

SS this morning, one 18" fluke, 2 searobins, throwing a small diamond jig.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12