I'm wondering what people know about Sayville and the access there? (Islip has jurisdiction)

I had some friends that went there last night. They called the town hall ahead of time and were told you don't need a permit to fish the town docks at night.

About a 1/2 hour after they were fishing at the Sayville public docks, a Town security guard came and told them they had to leave. He said "No one" could fish there, with or without a pertmit.

They quoted the Public Trust and asked him why it didn't apply in this situation? They also asked for his name and title, and he wouldn't give it to them.

Allegedly, as all this was going on, he got a little nervous, and said maybe they could fish there, but by that time they were sick of going back and forth, and didn't want the hassles.

They just wanted to fish, be respectful to the area, and leave that area the same way they found it. They weren't looking for a battle.

On Monday I'm calling the town to clear this up, and see what is and isn't allowed. In the meantime, has anyone had access issues or been turned away from fishing here, or anywhere near there?

I'm asking them to chime in, or contact me via PM.

I would really like to know what the accumulation of reasons is for not allowing fishing there. Thanks.