Thread: Crabology 101: All about crabs and bait

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I told Vpass I would hunt for this thread. This is for you, bro. .......
    Cool, Thanks Dark. I will look thru the posted info. and see if I could add anything to this topic.

Some Biological, and Commerical information on Rock Crabs, and Jonah Crabs

Cancer irroratus reproduction occurs in the autumn. Sexual maturity in females is attained once they reach the CW size of 60 mm. Males have a slightly larger size of CW 70 mm at sexual maturity. Before mating commences, both male and female rock crabs moult their shell. This event for males happens during the winter months to ensure that their shells are completely firm before the fall. Females moult their shells during the fall so that they remain soft during mating. It takes rock crab shells between 2-3 months to fully harden. After fertilization females lay their eggs and store them under their stomach for almost a year. Depending upon the female's size the number of eggs produced can range from 125,000 to 500,000. After this period of time the eggs hatch and between the months of June to September the larva stay in the water column. By the time autumn returns the larva that were hatched metamorphose into extremely small crabs called megalops. For the first part of their life these young crabs are extremely vulnerable to predators and water turbulance. To increase their chance for survival they remain in shallow water and at the bottom of the ocean floor for protection (Gendron,2001).

The above was taken from the link below:
    http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...irroratus.html

More info:
    http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/326113.pdf