Thread: Public Trust and access issues Wading River, LI

Default Public Trust and access issues Wading River, LI

A guy was fishing the water there Sunday, and allegedly asked to leave by a Keyspan employee. The guy told him he would be arrested if he didn't leave.

Here's a narrative of what happened to him:

"I used to flyfish the wading river creek/jetties between 1994-2003 on a regular basis. It was one of the most peaceful, beautiful, productive places to catch fish I've ever known. I went back this past Sunday AM to relive some memories, and a guy in a Keyspan shirt told me I had to leave or he'd have me arrested for trespassing on private property! "

If he was fishing below the mean high water/high tide mark, and did not tresspass on their property to get there, I don't see where they have the law behind them to do that.

If anyone has any info about this place and why it seems to be exempt from provisions of the Public Trust Doctrine, feel free to jump in and comment. Thanks, guys and gals.

Here's part of my response, stand up for your rights, guys:

"Know your rights guys, don't let people trample on them!

We can't trespass or walk on private property to access our fishing spots, but we CAN and should fish below the high tide lines, and not let people intimidate us fom fishing there.

Unfortunately it would be almost impossible to get 100 guys together, too many would make excuses at the last minute. But count me in anytime any one of you has this in mind. I and a whole lot of other guys got involved in Brookhaven/Shoreham Beach, and most importantly the MSA, LIBBA, and the NYCRF got involved. We went to the meetings, protested the closing, and fishing was recently opened at Brookhaven.

This was all because more than a few guys were mad as hell and not willing to take it anymore.

Anyone here can PM me at anytime they get hassled at a spot where they have accessed legally, were fishing below the mean high tide line, and still got harassed anyway. I would be willing to come out and videotape any such areas, and offer video proof that we were not trespassing.

This won't get any better if you can't find the time to stand up and protest. I know it's a pita to get involved, and many of you will say "What's the point, I just want to fish, and don't need the hassles, I'll go somewhere else!"

But....what if "somewhere else" keeps getting restricted, and then one day you have no "somewhere else" to go??

I don't think they enforce the law equally over there, I read on another site that the guards fish there. My same response for the regulation of striped bass, I have a problem if you tell me I can't do something, and then there are other people doing the same thing you prevent me from doing. It's just not right.