Thread: What makes a great fisherman

Default What makes a great fisherman

What determines what you consider a great fisherman?
    Is it how many fish they caught, the method, the amount of time they spend fishing or is it their years of experience?

I would say the years of experience 1st then of course the method some guys can just outfish others with certain techniques no matter how hard you try.Also I feel that the more time you spend fishing the more fish you can catch.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Also I feel that the more time you spend fishing the more fish you can catch.
    Well said, there is no substitute for putting your own time in and learning for yourself.
    Also, not having tunnel vision. What worked yesterday may not work today.

persistence, not giving up.

The amount of time and the success of their techniques IMO makes a great fisherman. People could have years of fishing but not much success.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    I would say the years of experience 1st then of course the method some guys can just outfish others with certain techniques no matter how hard you try.Also I feel that the more time you spend fishing the more fish you can catch.
    Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Well said, there is no substitute for putting your own time in and learning for yourself.
    That, and be willing to listen when you run into other guys who are catching.

In modern times you don't need to be great, if you are proficient at following the crowds either on land or at sea, and carry a quick draw cell phone, you can find the fish. Where did the old values go?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Good point storminsteve. I want to quote a passage from Billy the Greek's book, Night Tides:

"He who adjusts first, wins....I fish under vitually any conditions. But most importantly, I never fail to adjust to the methods that are needed to catch big fish. Sometimes these required adjustments are major in proportion, but more often than not they're subtle wiggles that make the difference between making big scores, and striking out."

I think that says a lot. "Past performance is no guarantee of future results", a common disclaimer on financial forms, is a good lessson to apply to surfcasting also. If you want to catch fish, you must do whatever the conditions dictate, at the moment you are out there. Nothing else matters but those conditions at that moment.

^^ What dark said. Conditions change, you have to be able to read that and adapt.

The great fishermen I admired when I was younger were fantastic fishermen. They were also able to teach a young kid like me as I learned and respectfully tried to get advice from them. To me, a great fisherman is someone who achieves the skill needed to consistently catch, and also the compassion to teach others who are just starting on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by voyager35 View Post
    They were also able to teach a young kid like me as I learned and respectfully tried to get advice from them. To me, a great fisherman is someone who achieves the skill needed to consistently catch, and also the compassion to teach others who are just starting on the trail.
    well said. Persistence and willingness to adapt as well.

Yep passing it on is a big part. Without the younger generation to take the reins who would be the fishermen of tomorrow?

some one that respects the land ,water ,air ,other fisherman, and the fish

Putting in your time, paying your due's, learning to catch fish in all conditions with out a cell phone or a blitz. Keeping an accurate log. Respecting others and their property and most importantly remembering your never too old to learn. ( except in Dark's case he will always be a GOOGAN)

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    ( except in Dark's case he will always be a GOOGAN)

Yup, still full of **** and vinegar.....I know your health is good when you're tossing insults......glad to hear you're back to your old self, ya grouchy basstid.

I think fishing is a lot like hunting. An old Chinese proverb says " Do not think like a fish, think like the bait" The ability to know the whats the whens and the where of the prey will make you a better fisherman. Some men who fish get lucky but a fisherman doesn't need any, he has knowledge. ok did that sound corny or what??!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Putting in your time, paying your due's, learning to catch fish in all conditions with out a cell phone or a blitz. Keeping an accurate log. Respecting others and their property and most importantly remembering your never too old to learn. ( except in Dark's case he will always be a GOOGAN)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    I think fishing is a lot like hunting. An old Chinese proverb says " Do not think like a fish, think like the bait" !
    Finchaser well said.
    Rob you are close, if you think where the bait tends to congregate and how it moves through the surf you will increase your changes.