Thread: Mackerel run?

Default Mackerel run?

Still no sign of spring mackerel migration

Thursday, April 17, 2008BY AL RISTORI
    Star-Ledger Staff
    The traditional spring run of mackerel has been missing for years, even though the National Marine Fisheries Service assures us the species is in good shape. Stocks that pass by far offshore do us no good, and those that used to migrate along the Shore seem to have virtually disappeared.

Other than some very small mackerel boated incidentally by bottom fishing boats in the Mud Hole, there's been no sign of the spring migration. The Miss Chris from Cape May used to be the first in the state to encounter those schools by sailing to the south as they migrated up the coast from Virginia, but the outlook at this point is so bleak that Capt. Fred Ascoli isn't even planning to try.

Delaware boats haven't found any so far, and Cape May netters seem to have given up on them, though they could just as suddenly appear out of nowhere.

Same thing here in NY, voyager. One year we hadda go offshore 25 miles to hit em.

Yup, same here. You could always count on mackerel, now its hit and miss, and you gotta be ready to get them the week it starts. Blink your eyes, and they're 30 miles offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I remember some great mackerel trips in the Spring (and late fall as well, with the Fall run always being noticably shorter...but at least we had one)......
    When was the last time that anyone can remember there being a NJ Fall run for mackerel?
    Not lately, in my experience...not with any significance, or staying power....

You jogged my memory with that post ds. God how great things used to be. Fall mackerel run was anywhere from 2-4 weeks. Spring mackerel could last from 4-7 weeks. We would fill gunny sacks with the critters, and lots of jumbos as well. They were bad eating but as mentioned good sharkbait. There were a few outfits that smoked the mackerel. Those were ok. all long gone wiped out by the netters offshore. Makes me sad to think about it. That was one good fishery where if you took the kids fishing they were happy because it was so easy.

I heard rumors of some of the charter boats going for sharks off montauk finding mackeral. Haven't heard of any in NJ offshore though. heard of mostly butterfish and squid. Anyone seeing any of these mackeral in NJ?

I know Mackerel are common inshore to our north in areas like Mass. We don't generally see them inshore here in NJ until the water cools in January and there is no guarantee that they will move in close.

right now they are in are in Baltimore canyon as told to me by my friends that tile fished on the Voyager the other day

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Thanks for the intel gents.

The Golden Eagle from Belmar sent this report out today. What they don't tell you is that these blues are tiny!!! Perfect size for the smoker.

July 31, 2014

The fishing for BLUES & BONITA remains anywhere from excellent to decent depending on the day. Some days you can catch all you want in an hour or two another days it takes all day. We have some BONITA mixed in everyday and lately we are also catching some very large MACKERAL.

All the BLUES & BONITA & ALBIE's are being caught on Hammer jigs, Croc's, Poppers & teasers in the day and on bait at night.

Large mackeral in July? Man thats crazy!

It gets stranger? Check out Golden Eagle's report for today.

Aug. 6, 2014

SUPER SUPER fishing today - all the BLUES you wanted - all the MACKEREL you wanted & some BONITA mixed in.
    You could fish with bait or jigs & teasers - it didn't matter what you put in the water you had a bite.

Yesterday fishing was very good and the Afternoon trips on Monday & Tuesday afternoons were very very good with BLUES - Mackerel & Bonita

Maybe its the end of time. I agree this is nuts.

Hey gents good news. There are some around and the golden eagle will be fishing for them on sunday jan 17.