Thread: PETA Files Suit in NJ

Default PETA Files Suit in NJ

PETA Files Suit in NJ

Yesterday I sent out a NJOA E Acion Alert showing various vegan/vegetarian groups in NJ with an agenda to remove our freedoms to fish, hunt and trap and impose their lifestyle on everyone. Below is a story about a vegan advocacy group connected to PETA filing a class-action lawsuit in New Jersey against hot dog makers.

Groups such as HSUS, PETA, ALF, NJARA, are deceitful in that they use the moniker of animal protection as a ruse to advance a pro-vegetarian agenda. In the process they target anglers, hunters and trappers but their mission is much more insidious and encompassing, in the example below they are trying to destroy an industry that sells meat products.

All conservationists should be alerted to their agenda since they ultimately undermine the precepts of conservation - regardless of their intentions. They are well-financed and work at all levels to take away our freedoms.

Ant

Vegans Want Warning Labels on Hot Dogs, But Meat Industry Says Hot Dogs Are Safe
    Thursday, July 23, 2009
    By Penny Starr, Senior Staff Writer

(CNSNews.com) - On the same day that the American Meat Institute held its annual hot dog lunch on Capitol Hill, a vegan advocacy group filed a class-action lawsuit in New Jersey Superior Court to force hot dog makers to put labels on their product warning of an increased risk of cancer for people who eat hot dogs.

In the Rayburn building courtyard on Capitol Hill on Wednesday, people lined up to get free hot dogs while the American Meat Institute (AMI) spokeswoman made her case for the American icon associated with baseball, backyard barbecues and good times in general.

"We hope the court will dismiss this nuisance lawsuit, and if a warning label should be anywhere, it should be on PCRM's (Physicians Committee on Responsible Medicine) press releases, because Americans need to know who they really are," Janet Riley, senior vice president of public affairs for the AMI, told CNSNews.com.

"They're an animal rights group that's connected to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)," Riley said.

"And using a name like the Physicians Committee or Cancer Project (which is associated with PCRM) doesn't really represent what they are about," Riley said. "What they are about is a vegan society. They believe vegetarianism is a cure for everything."

Dan Kilburn, lead attorney in the New Jersey lawsuit and general counsel for the Cancer Project, told CNSNews.com that his group does have a pro-vegan agenda.

"Yes, we do promote a vegan diet to avoid cancer and to promote cancer survival," Kilburn said, adding that he was not a vegan before taking his current job five years ago.

However, Kilburn suggested the major hot dog manufacturers named in the suit - Nathan's Famous, Oscar Mayer-owner Kraft Foods, Sara Lee, Marathon Enterprises, and ConAgra Foods, which owns Hebrew National - are operating with the same deception as Big Tobacco did a few decades ago.

"This debate is identical to the debate 30 years ago between big tobacco and smoking," Kilburn said. "They said over and over again that there was no connection between cancer and smoking."

Neal Barnard, president of the Cancer Project, said in a press release that, "Just as tobacco causes lung cancer, processed meats are linked to colon cancer," and "companies that sell hot dogs are well aware of the danger, and their customers deserve the same information."

Kilburn said the report cited in the lawsuit was done by the World Cancer Research Fund and the American Institute for Cancer Research, two non-profits that focus on researching the connection between cancer and diet.

Kilburn said the report, "Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer; A Global Perspective" recommends a diet free from processed meat, but the report says red meat consumption should be limited and that "very little, if any" processed meat should be eaten.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Dietary Guidelines for Americans (2005) includes meat and poultry in its basic food groups and does not distinguish between processed and other meats.

Further, some studies, including one by the Harvard School of Public Health in 2004, have shown there are no links between colon cancer and meat consumption.

"There's nothing wrong with selling dangerous products, as long as you label them properly," Kilburn said.

When asked by CNSNews.com why the hot dog is getting such scrutiny when there are so many processed foods on the market, Riley said, "I can only speculate that it's because the hot dog is more than a food. It's sort of a cultural icon. It's so widely consumed, and it just makes for more interested press, unfortunately.

"Americans have loved hot dogs for more than a century, so we hope consumers will look for guidance from the dietary guidelines and eat a balanced diet, and hot dogs can be part of that," Riley said.

Anthony P. Mauro, Sr.
    Chairman,
    New Jersey Outdoor Alliance: "We've got your back!"
    http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/support/njoa.html

Oh come on this is ridiculous! Label all hot dogs my ***. Don't they also know striped bass are laden with toxic chemicals? What are we supposed to eat, celery? I think the peta types are a bunch of frustrated pickle smokers. In fact maybe they will outlaw pickles next, I heard the dye they use in the juice can cause cancer. peta freaks.

If they were to put warning labels on food products that might cause cancer then all products should be labeled. This includes vegatables since most are grown with chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    If they were to put warning labels on food products that might cause cancer then all products should be labeled.
    Absolutely. They are just targeting hot dog makers because they are so visible. I never understood the mentality of these animal rights activists. Birkenstock wearing liberal leaning elitists, confident that they have the knowledge to protect us from our indulgences. They add to the cost of doing business in this state, and are probably one of the main reasons that a lot of businesses say NJ is becoming less and less friendly to bigger businesses.

I'll bet a lot of the people who call themselves vegans can't scientifically prove they have healthier lives. I would love to see statistical analysis showing how many "vegans" died from cancer. I bet it would be more than a few.