Thread: Beaches and Bait

Default Beaches and Bait

I always pay careful attention to the conditions which helps me decide whether to use plugs or bait. I can't say I have found this to be true but was wondering if anyone here has had the experience where only bait works on certain beaches?

Using bait is more a function of the temperature as a general rule rockhopper. There are also a lot of regional differences.

For example I use bunker more than clams, but that has a lot to do with my preferences and the fact I use bunker only when they are around. In NY you may be fishing a lot of sandy beaches so clams are good. I also fish them as well but there are a lot of rocks where I fish sometimes so eels are one of my favorite live baits. In the coldest of water, the slowest moving bait work well because the bass are sluggish and you have to give them time to find it. For the early season, worms work even better than clams because the scent is what brings the bass to the bait. There is nothing like the scent of worm blood in cold water. Hope this helps.

I very seldom use dead bait when i do its bunker. 99.9% of the time I just change colors of plugs to meet water clarity. IMO plugs generally out fish dead bait especially in the fall. Plugs also match the hatch so to speak better and cover much more water,instead of waiting for a fish to swim by. Last week NJ Fisherman had a great article by Shore Guides 10 reasons plugs out fish bait.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    I very seldom use dead bait when i do its bunker. 99.9% of the time I just change colors of plugs to meet water clarity. IMO plugs generally out fish dead bait especially in the fall. Plugs also match the hatch so to speak better and cover much more water,instead of waiting for a fish to swim by. Last week NJ Fisherman had a great article by Shore Guides 10 reasons plugs out fish bait.
    I have to agree. I'm not really an expert what color plug to choose but if something is not working I change it. Bait fishing is too slow for me. Like Finchaser said plugs cover more area.

Thumbs up

in early spring it is better to use bait but later I use plugs.