Thread: Hi from a Newby

Default Hi from a Newby

I am a Newby and found this site by Google. I was looking for help with my old Mitchell Reel that my son had used and damaged. Forum was of great help!! It is nice that people can help one another to solve problems.

I live and do quite a bit of my fishing in the southern Lake Huron Area. I have 2 worlds to use, both the Lake as well as the River and not too far south is the smaller Lake St. Clair which is another good fishing area. I got into fishing because of my dad. He would take my brother and I out in his little 12 foot boat with a 9.9 Johnson on it. I guess growing up near the lake and river has kept the fishing part going. Sometimes though we take for granted the things that we have near.....there were a few years when fishing was hard to get time to do.....but when things went bad with the first marriage, to relax I started sitting with a pole and even though nothing would bite sometimes....it was still nice to do. We have a diversity of fish in our area from Bass, salmon, trout, walleye, Perch, catfish, sheepshead(freshwater drum), carp, Pike and the odd Muskie....even Sturgeon but those are now a Protected fish in Ontario... and lots of Gobies that are a pain in the butt. I have 3 sons and we try to get out fishing when we can. I just picked up a small 12 footer myself and hope to get out in it more with my boys. Thanks for hosting this site and keep on fishing!

" Sometimes though we take for granted the things that we have near..." Absolutely!

Welcome Zor, some great stuff you laid out there in your intro post. Like to hear more about the good fishin times with your son, and if you have any more stories about what it was like growiong up and the great fish stories. My girlfriend's family is from Minnesota, so that 's not too far away. Beautiful territory out there, that's what life is all about. Glad we could help ya out with some info.

Welcome! You do have the best of both worlds with the lakes and the river near by. Seems to me as if you are going to have some great times in the future with your sons. Tight Lines -

Quote Originally Posted by zorthedog View Post
    I am a Newby and found this site by Google. I was looking for help with my old Mitchell Reel that my son had used and damaged. Forum was of great help!! It is nice that people can help one another to solve problems.

I live and do quite a bit of my fishing in the southern Lake Huron Area. I have 2 worlds to use, both the Lake as well as the River and not too far south is the smaller Lake St. Clair which is another good fishing area. I got into fishing because of my dad. He would take my brother and I out in his little 12 foot boat with a 9.9 Johnson on it. I guess growing up near the lake and river has kept the fishing part going. Sometimes though we take for granted the things that we have near.....there were a few years when fishing was hard to get time to do.....but when things went bad with the first marriage, to relax I started sitting with a pole and even though nothing would bite sometimes....it was still nice to do. We have a diversity of fish in our area from Bass, salmon, trout, walleye, Perch, catfish, sheepshead(freshwater drum), carp, Pike and the odd Muskie....even Sturgeon but those are now a Protected fish in Ontario... and lots of Gobies that are a pain in the butt. I have 3 sons and we try to get out fishing when we can. I just picked up a small 12 footer myself and hope to get out in it more with my boys. Thanks for hosting this site and keep on fishing!

zorthedog, I also got into fishing mostly because of my Dad. Your post made me think of some old memories I had forgotten. Welcome to the site, and thanks for the memories!

Welcome aboard, Zor.

Welcome! I like that name zorthedog. what made you think of it?

Welcome, Zor. So what kind of bait do you use for gobies?

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    Welcome! I like that name zorthedog. what made you think of it?
    Well, the name came from a guy I used to work with years ago, he was a big, lazy a-hole and was like a bully to a bunch of us at work. He was to lazy and thought it was a good way to make fun of me so instead of calling me Rayzor like the others, he was too lazy to say the entire name and just called me Zor...he thought it was fun to say it and thought it bugged me.....I thought it was OK.....and the other guys used to say "Zor you are the Dog"....that is where the name came from. Sorry for the long drawn out explanation.

HI There, Gobies eat up either our worms or even small minnows. They are a pain in the butt, they are always stripping our hooks. I take my kids up to the river just to go Gobie fishing and when they catch some, we throw them on the ground for the seagulls to eat. A link to see what a gobie is - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0905150406.htm

Welcome aboard
    Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day, make up lies. - unknown

welcome aboard

welcome!!!!!