Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY fishing reports for August 2009

Default NY fishing reports for August 2009

NY fishing reports for August 2009
    Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
    More discussion on this:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
    Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
    CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
    FI -- Fire Island
    FT -- Fort Tilden Park
    FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
    WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
    LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
    MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
    MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
    OB -- Oyster Bay
    PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
    ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
    SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya

Vpass you won the plug in the June random drawing!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked!

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site!

,Thanks DarkSkies.

We had a nice day seabass fishing yesterday on some rocky pieces. Headed out of JI early, and the bass were hungry for the clams. Some up to 3#, it was a nice day on the water.

I fished an inlet last night with bunker chunks and bucktail and pork on the other rod. One small bluefish, that's all she wrote. The water wasn't that bad after the rain, but I fished the incoming, don't know if the outgoing was weedy or not. Not that many people out there, which made it peaceful.

Tried some bucktail and darter action Moriches area. It was a great night to be out, strong current and not too bad otherwise. Not much in the way of fish, one swing and a miss, that was it.

Did some recon for some NS fishing last night. I found a lot of bait, but not many fish. One bluefish around 2lbs on a bomber. I think as the bait builds up near some of the streams and tidal rivers things can only get better, or I hope they will.

The Montauk bite is worth the trip fellas, though it's slowed down from last week. My buddy and I fished eels from 3-7am. We were in 20-25', and got 3 bass up to 25lbs. Kept the first two, +/-20lbs, put the other 1 back. Beautiful morning on the water.

Some more great action out of Montauk. We fished eels this morning, and kept one bass each, 22 and 31#, released a half-dozen. I am getting a little worried about all the catches I saw come in the last 2 times we were out though. They are really slaying them, I wonder how many is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by plugginpete View Post
    They are really slaying them, I wonder how many is enough?

Enough will be enough when there are no big bass left. We hit the ocean this morning for some good seabass action in 40-70' of water. We caught a mess, and then finished up the day with some porgy action on the rocks. Those porgies are really getting big now.

We fished SI on the tide coming in. There were a lot of bluefish we got on bunker. They were small, 12-14inches. They stopped biting when the tide changed.

Tried to fish an inlet SS after work tonight, front side. It was a little rough, so I went to the back side and got one bluefish around 2lbs on a white teaser above a bucktail.

Used a break in the weather last night for some bucktailing and plugging, near some NS structure and a harbor entrance. 2 small bluefish on the bucktail, and then lost a pretty decent fish on a magdarter. There was a lot of small bait.

I took a walk in the Moses area to try to find some weakies last night. Jighead and rubber, they did not cooperate.

Jones area this morning, 1 small fluke on a light bucktail with p.r. trailer. Water was a little dirty.

Things seem to be cleaning up a little. I have been out 5x in the past 2 weeks and have not been able to catch a bass to save my life. This morning I hit the SS before dawn and got a 33" bass, bucktail and pork. Nice sunrise, there was some fog but it burned off quickly.

Boat fluke report- we fished out of Moriches today, good water and lots of shorts, 2 keepers to 23 1/2". Spearing and squid on one rod, gulp for the other. I am so aggravated they are closing the season just as the fluking is getting good.

Hit Moriches the other night for one 27" and one 12 lb very angry blue. My buddy got one 14-15 pound bass. They are out there you just gotta find them.

Nice catches frankiesurf, do you mind saying what you were using, or what your friend was using to get that 14lb bass? I was out for 2 hours tonight, hit a SS spot, some nice structure, throwing a 1/2 ounce bucktail. Grand total = 2 searobins.

Both Bass were brought in with a yellow needle and the bluefish with a yellow metal lip.

The moon wasn't full but it was very bright out. We got a lot of hits on yellow plugs but not much on any other color.

Don't go by what I say though. The fish will tell you. Just experiment a bit and make sure you are on some decent structure. There are a lot of barren stretches on sandy beaches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast