Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NY fishing reports for August 2009

Walked down a beach last night with a tsunami swimmer, similar to a megabait. I saw pods of bait here and there with nothing on them. Got 2 cocktail blues. It was a little windy, but still great to be out and get into something that looked like a fish.

we fished SI yesterday night, 9:00 to 12, using bunkers. We caught over 10 bluefish, they were 3lbs biggest, and they were close to the deeper water, and they were eating a lot of small fish that was jumping around.

I took my kid out for some snapper action on the NS, a well known marina, early this morning. They are there in droves, and a lot of small spearing and peanut bunker too. A good time was had by all.

I woke up yesterday and saw heavy surf advisories and 5-15 knot south winds so I all of a sudden did not feel well. Since I had to pick up my car from the shop, I decided to get out to Montauk for the last of the outgoing and fish to the incoming.

The whole way out I saw flags blowing due south. I parked up in the Lower Lot and walked to the snack shop to see what was up. Looking at the flag the wind was due west and steady. I fished from turtle cove all the way to the sewer pipe. Great white water but no bait to be seen. I figured once I hit the cove by the pipe I would get a break from the wind and hit them down deep. No fish. In one deeper spot the water was a little more calm so I tossed my buck into it. BIG mistake. By this time the current started to turn so it started bringing the weeds. Once my buck hit the water, I let it sink and then felt a steady pull. Don't get excited, it was weeds in the undertow. I have never caught this much crap on one cast before. It felt like a huge skate. As I was reeling I had to pinch my line to keep all this junk off my spool. The rod tip was so fouled I had to stop reeling and clean it three or four times. Once I got this mass of **** in to the breakers I actually had to pump my rod to reel it in and one time the undertow actually took drag. Once I got it in it took a few minutes to clear all the weed of my swivel and bucktail.

By the time I was done with that and took a look out, I noticed the breakers and foam were pink with this reddish weed. I decided to head down to the Light. The waves were coming from deeper water so I figured they would be clean. They were but I would have had better luck targeting long boards than Bass. I went with Bucktails, darters, and bottle plugs to no avail. Then I had a Mexican cast from on top about ten feet from the right of me. That wasn't the problem. The problem was the heavy right to left sweep. His first cast, he got his bucktail stuck in the rocks below me. First he asked me to climb down to get it as he was in shorts and sneakers. I was not going any lower than I was for safety sake. Then he tried pulling on it so I told him "If that hits me you are a dead man". He then cut his line. I tried there for a while to no avail. There were about eight or nine guys also trying who had already given up. Every one of them in wetsuits.

I watched three surfers attempt to get out into the waves under the light. One was smart and watched the waves and duration but the other two got slammed around the rocks. Quite amusing.

I went to the lot had a snack then downsized my bag for an attempt at the North side. Nothing doing. Weeds up the *** making it pretty unfishable. I wanted to continue to walk but when I was on a point of small to grapefruit size rocks earlier the waves were coming in hard from a deep spot and I got slammed in the ankle by what I believe was the Rock of Gibraltar. It still hurts.

Can't say I didn't try.

The worst part of the outing was the fact that the reason my car wasn't done was because the A-hole mechanic broke my radio and did not yet find a new one. An hour and a half or so in silence. Dog tired with my ankle hurting. Thats a fun trip.

Great montauk report frankie, I haven't been up there yet. maybe this weekend. Heard they were getting some blues around sunset this last week.
    I fished the SS this morning near an inlet, was throwing a bucktail and pork rind, hoping for a stray bass. No bass, but I did nail a bluefish around 10-11 pds, great fight!

No work today for the rain, I went to the SI in the morning with bunker, and we had some small ones from a castnet. I caught one skate, and 2 searobins. The searobins are very big, I am going to try to cook them.

I was out on the North Shore yesterday testing some plugs and hook configurations. There were 2" peanuts EVERYWHERE. A few snappers here and there but no larger fish around. I wasn't able to stick around after sunset though.

Boy did I look cool though. Fighting for position with a bunch of kids and their snapper rods. They kept making me move because they were walking behind me, in front of me and next to me. A few did grasp the idea of etiquette after a brief positive lesson. Some did not. Those were the ones I moved away from. Just to clear things up, I was casting into a heavy current where the snappers were nowhere to be seen. I did have a few questions asked of me about what I was doing and why. I was also able to teach a few kids about current, eddies and depth and about the peanuts that were all over.

All in all, there were no fish but a good, productive and very positive time to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    I was out on the North Shore yesterday testing some plugs and hook configurations. There were 2" peanuts EVERYWHERE. A few snappers here and there but no larger fish around. I wasn't able to stick around after sunset though.

Boy did I look cool though. Fighting for position with a bunch of kids and their snapper rods. They kept making me move because they were walking behind me, in front of me and next to me. A few did grasp the idea of etiquette after a brief positive lesson. Some did not. Those were the ones I moved away from. Just to clear things up, I was casting into a heavy current where the snappers were nowhere to be seen. I did have a few questions asked of me about what I was doing and why. I was also able to teach a few kids about current, eddies and depth and about the peanuts that were all over.

All in all, there were no fish but a good, productive and very positive time to be had.

When I first started reading this I thought you were going to end up tossing the kids in the water to see if they could swim. From your posts you don't seem like the type who has the patience to be a teacher. However it did turn out differently, it is a good feeling to introduce youngsters to the whys and wheres of fishing. Good deal, good report.

I fished a SS spot this morning near an inlet. There was a small flurry of blues early on. I got a few on a bucktail, and that was it. Water is cleaning up nicely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12