Mike Wurm
Buzzbaits Great For Mid-Summer Mornings And Evenings
Friday, July 10, 2009

Photo: ESPN Outdoors
Mike Wurm said buzzbaits are an excellent choice for a summertime topwater bait, but don't set the hook until you feel the fish.

Well, it's mid-summer, and it's hotter than Hades throughout much of the country. And chances are good that the fishing isn't keeping up with the mercury in many locations, especially in the Southeast, Southwest and West.

If you live in one of those warmer parts of the U.S., it's sort of a bad news-good news situation. The bad news is that the only strong daylight bite periods might be restricted to the hours just after dawn and just before dusk. The good news is that bass can often be caught on topwater baits during those times, and for most of us, there's no more exciting way to fish.
"People still want to go fishing at this time of year, but in a lot of places it makes sense to curb your appetite a little and limit yourself to the early morning and late evening," said veteran Bassmaster Elite Series pro Mike Wurm of Arkansas. "There's no reason to be out all day unless you're in a tournament or you're a real diehard, but those low-light times can offer some of the best fishing of the whole summer."
He throws the gamut of topwater offerings on summer mornings and evenings. When he's around any type of current or the water is a little bit dingy, a buzzbait is often his first pick.
Excels on Rivers
Buzzbaits can be effective on dead-still waters, but Wurm believes they're at their best on river systems. He especially likes to throw them in areas with grass along the bank and around rock jetties, which concentrate baitfish against the wall.
"If I've got a little current movement, I'll start out with the bait going the same direction as the current because that's the more natural presentation to the bass," he said. "But don't think that's the only way – lots of times on rock jetties, it's good to throw them where the current makes a swirl around the end.
"And it's good to be inventive and go against the current once in awhile."
He said the best way to determine which size of prop-blade to use is by the amount of chop on the water. If the surface is glassy, then a smaller prop is ideal. If there's a good amount of ripple, then a larger blade is better.
The size of the skirt and trailer (if one is employed) are important, too. With those, you should try to match the size of the baitfish as closely as possible. Same thing with color – which usually means white or chartreuse, or some combination thereof. In brackish water, however, a black skirt with a chartreuse grub has been known to shine.
"A lot of times I'll take the skirt off and put on a Sassy Shad or a grub. And the skirts are easy to trim – I usually like to shorten them a little bit anyway because that helps the fish get the back end of the hook a little better."
If he thinks he can get away with a trailer hook, he'll put one on. But hangups are a major consideration because he's often throwing buzzbaits around wood.
"I've been experimenting with stinger hooks, which is a short piece of braid with a circle hook. Those work well because they're loose. And if you're throwing a buzzbait in open water, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a treble hook back there, but that won't work around grass or wood."
Steady gets the Job Done
Wurm said an even-paced, steady retrieve is usually the best bet for success with a buzzbait. And although it can be incredibly difficult, you need to try to refrain from setting the hook when you see the fish blow up on the bait.
"Just like any other topwater, you can't jerk when you see it," he said. "Wait until you feel it pulling on you..
"And have a plastic worm ready at all times. If a fish misses a buzzbait, he might hit it again if you throw it right back to the same spot, but that same fish will almost always bite a worm, especially in shallow water."
As for equipment, he likes a medium-heavy rod. a 6.3:1 ratio casting reel and sturdy monofilament line.
"I don't want a rod that's a cue stick, but I don't want one that's too limber, either. I use all Quantum stuff, and the medium-heavy in the Shaw Grigsby series is a good one.
"Buzzbaits are about the only time I break away from fluorocarbon line – I like monofilament because it floats, and if the cover's really heavy, I'll use braid. The only thing I don't like about braid is it transmits the feel of the strike too quickly."

http://www.bassfan.com/tips_article.asp?id=280