Thread: ASMFC weakfish meeting 8/19/09

Default ASMFC weakfish meeting 8/19/09

Found this on another site. I don't know about you folks, but I have seen a steady decline in weakfish. If you feel the same way, maybe you would consider registering some comments here-----

"As many of you know the weakfish population is at an all time low. The weakfish need a chance to rebuild! The best way and the fastest way is to close commercial fishing for weakfish for two years and close recreational fishing during the spawning season. For years commercial fishing was allowed without a limit on the amount of weakfish that could be killed. Commercial and recreational fishing is still allowed in the spawning area of the entire east coast. The winter yard of the weakfish is still open to commercial fishing, Can you believe the ASMFC has the audacity to claim it is not their fault that the weakfish is heading for the endangered list! The ASMFC will meet on August 19, 2009 to find a way to rebuild the weakfish. All comments must be received 3 weeks before the meeting or they will not be heard. Please let them know the condition of the weakfish as you see it. Send your comment: nmeserve@asmfc.org <nmeserve@asmfc.org> "

This is the most recent stock assessment for the fisheries--

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/saw/

This is a way to get in touch with them. Take a look at some of the figures and research, guys, they are asking for our input as fishermen, and we should try to give it to them.

The agenda and briefing materials will be made available on our website (at: http://www.asmfc.org/summer09Mtg.htm) within a few weeks.

Also, FYI, the summary report for the very recently completed weakfish stock assessment is available now through the Northeast Regional Stock Assessment Workshop's website (http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/saw/, scroll all the way to the bottom). The Management Board will be reviewing this assessment in August and may consider management action in response.

Regards,
    Nichola

Nichola Meserve
    Fisheries Management Plan Coordinator
    Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission
    ph: (202) 289-6400 f: (202) 289-6051

Thanks for posting. The weakfish runs of the past are almost non-existent. They talk about cycles, but the only thing I have seen is a downward spiral with a couple of dead cat bounces thrown in. I think it't time for a moratorium, even though they say that won't be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBuddah View Post
    This is the most recent stock assessment for the fisheries--

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/saw/

This is a way to get in touch with them. Take a look at some of the figures and research, guys, they are asking for our input as fishermen, and we should try to give it to them.

Bass Buddah is right guys and gals. There has been a serious decline in the weakfish population. I know people who have C&R breeders up to 17# this spring, but even they say it has been a tough year. They are not around in the numbers like they used to be.

15 years ago, you could go to what was the "real" tip of Sandy Hook, seine some spearing, and catch fluke, weakfish, and some striped bass, in the daytime, in the middle of the summer. Those days are long gone.

3 to 5 years ago we had a strong run of them in the late summer/early fall in the back of Raritan and Barnegat bays, but the runs are spotty now. I don't think we can blame it anymore on cyclical patterns. More and more professional charter captains are agreeing that the decline is real.

If this matters to you, like Bass Buddah said, it's time to stand up and be counted. These ASMFC and NOAA papers are boring as hell to read, but skim over them as best you can if you have an interest. This pertains to us all, and we all have a right to make comments. The decisions they will be making will affect many of us, so it benefits us to be informed.

Great points guys, thanks for the info.