Thread: reel grease

Default reel grease

Hello,
    I am new here, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I was wondering what kind of grease you would suggest for putting on the inside components of a spinning reel.

Any recommendations and where to get it?

Dave, try cal's 2speed grease, $7/oz, $24/lb. You can get it at
    http://www.cals2speed.com/

Welcome to the site, where are you from? Where do you fish out of? Tell us a little about yourself, we don't bite.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...play.php?f=136

One question. How are you fishing?

If you are staying dry or on a boat then Penn reel grease, Lithium grease or even vaseline will do. Just make sure there is enough coverage on the gears and the shaft.

If you are surf fishing and getting splashed or dunking your reel then that is a different story. Before I got my Zeebaas i had a few Penns just so I didn't have to keep regreasing or repairing every other day. One day I decided to pack my 6500 with black Lithium. I mean PACK it. It tightened up the reel a bit but kept out the majority of water and sand. It got me a few weeks of uninterrupted fishing before I had to re-pack it. I know guys who do this with Vaseline and blue marine lube.

Diawa Blue Grease which is what Penn use to use
    Yamaha blue greae

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    One question. How are you fishing?

If you are staying dry or on a boat then Penn reel grease, Lithium grease or even vaseline will do. Just make sure there is enough coverage on the gears and the shaft.

If you are surf fishing and getting splashed or dunking your reel then that is a different story. Before I got my Zeebaas i had a few Penns just so I didn't have to keep regreasing or repairing every other day. One day I decided to pack my 6500 with black Lithium. I mean PACK it. It tightened up the reel a bit but kept out the majority of water and sand. It got me a few weeks of uninterrupted fishing before I had to re-pack it. I know guys who do this with Vaseline and blue marine lube.
    I am actually doing a little of both. I fish whereever I find water.

I heard vaseline is not good to use. Is it ok? I have used marine trailer grease, I am not sure if that is ok either...

I use the Diawa Blue Grease also, never gave me any trouble. How often do all of you grease your reels?