Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Albie reports

I don't mean to cause a sh**storm here but I am wondering if some of these are not bluefish mistaken for false albacore.The largest party boats that fish in the mudhole every day for bluefish are not reporting them. Small bluefish can be fast moving as well and can mimic false albacore behavior. They are probably within distance of the beach, Just maybe not as prevalent as some folks are claiming.

I read a report that some guys caught them up north today:
    "Had a few hours this morning, was planning on fluke fishing, but the wind was hard north and drift was 1.4 or higher. Had birds working from Bradley thru Deal, was able to troll and cast to the speed demons. under 1/2 mile, 35 to 50 ft chasing bait."

Hope we get to see some here in cape may too.

Yeah they been seeing them on the head boats on and off, from tonight-

Accidental Porgy, Albie, Fluke, Seabass.- this was the BrooklynVI out of sheepshead

All over ocean county have even been going in and out of an inlet

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Fished RI surf for two days with the goal of catching an albie on the fly rod. First day was really tough conditions both wind and weather wise. The wind was blowing real strong and the sun was very strong. The albies were around and kept showing themselves popping up here and there. Guys who were blind casting flies managed to pick at them. Saw on average 1-2 caught per hour until it shut down completely.

Day two we had much better conditions, cloud cover but still a strong wind. Lots of albies and even a few bonito caught on the fly rod. Many of the good fly casters had 4+ fish each.

None for me or the spin guys. I really need to work on my fly casting and practice some more in strong winds.

Always wanted to go to rhode island. At least you went and tried. Is the water real clean up there?

I would call the trip highly successful. I had a blast and will be going back again for sure.

Water quality is incredibly good. The amount of bait up there is unreal.

I was commenting to one of the locals about how much bait was around and he said something like "there should be a lot more of it but the winds pushed it all into the back".

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    ... I really need to work on my fly casting and practice some more in strong winds.
    this is a general rule for saltwater.

i can't count the number of times I thought this but none moreso than last year trying for tarpon, when my best shot was with a 20+knot wind off my right shoulder at the only good line of tarpon going by the entire week.

Looks like things might be starting up a little earlier this year. I think this fish came from the Golden Eagle or one of the Belmar boats. Small bonita yesterday or saturday. Last year they didn't show up until the end of July.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bonito july.jpg  

Albies are still on my bucket list!

Quote Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
    Looks like things might be starting up a little earlier this year. I think this fish came from the Golden Eagle or one of the Belmar boats. Small bonita yesterday or saturday. Last year they didn't show up until the end of July.
    A buddy of mine was up in RI on Sunday and said they were catching them not too far from shore. They were chasing the small baitfish up there. AFAIK these were bonita not albies. Hope to see some of them in my area soon.

non here not even mixed in on the tuna grounds. Plus the mudhole is living up to its name

Quote Originally Posted by robmedina View Post
    Albies are still on my bucket list!
    ditto... at least on a fly rod. had the pleasure of going out with Steve Byrne one year and getting
    them on spinning w/DD's

sats are showing green soup inshore, until that clears out don't think there's a good shot at albies.

Golden Eagles report from today. Maybe they are finally starting to come inshore.

It was GOOD fishing for ALBACORE today. We caught plenty of them - about 40 to 50. We picked at the BLUES and did not catch many MACKEREL. Everything was caught on jigs.

they were 20 miles off at the Shark River reef

Thats a good sign though it seems later than last year. I heard some guys talking yesterday that friends of theirs got a few trolling at barnegat ridge. Dont know them well though so not sure if its true.

Read online that they have been getting them up in the waters off of Rhode island out in the bay. Or is that the long island sound. Up to 10 lbs and bigger. You guys who can do that are lucky. We rarely have them that close in cape may.

that's the problem with south, I don't run miles off the beach ever, and really prefer fishing from sand. unless I am up in MoCo in Albie alley (and even there it's been essentially nonexistent the past few years) I have no shot at them. Unless I run with someone in the NY Bight again early October where they show somewhere every year.

they were a few off Lavallette yesterday
    other wise
    Cindy Sea 9/2/15
    Ran another trip for Cindy and Dave today, took a charter group out to the long mid-range area. Left the dock at 2:30 and started out the morning on the troll and picked up a couple of false albies (had to run almost 70 miles for false albies ??) and a real fat skipjack. Crystal clear blue water compared to the antifreeze green gunk we deal with inshore. Switched over to the chunk and highlight of the day was Dwayne hooking up with a 35 lb yellowfin on a light spinning rod and 20 lb test line ! After some coaching and some luck we boated the tuna and introduced him to our ice slurry. No wind and absolute glass seas put a damper on the fishing today. Easy run home, but a long day. Tight Lines--Rich

B&N reported albiies in the surf. I was down there this morning and only saw small bluefish breaking. One man's cocktail blues is another man's albies. Guess it depends on what type of glasses you are wearing that morning.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast