Thread: Boots with felt soles to be Banned

Default Boots with felt soles to be Banned

NY times 8-5-09
    By CHRISTOPHER PERCY COLLIER

PEOPLE who fish in lakes and rivers have historically relied on boots with felt soles to help them keep their footing. But the felt on these shoes has been found to foster the spread of harmful parasites and algae that can sicken or kill fish and damage their environment.

So, despite the popularity of felt soles, manufacturers have been busy trying to devise good alternatives.

Indeed, fishing shoes with felt soles are already being phased out. New Zealand has outlawed them, and they will be banned in freshwater streams in southeast Alaska starting in 2011. Trout Unlimited, a conservation group based in Arlington, Va., last year called on the fishing equipment industry to phase out the use of felt by 2011, and some manufacturers have pledged to comply.
    With new felt-free shoes arriving on the market, many fishermen are wondering how well they work. Alex Bell, owner of AB’s Fly Fishing Guide Service in Sylva, N.C., tested five pairs in the Tuckasegee River, where he leads fishing trips.

Before the test, Mr. Bell, above, said he had tried felt-free shoes and found them largely ineffective. But he said the new boots showed significant improvements. “They are getting closer and closer to felt,” he said. “I wasn’t concerned about my next step, which meant I could concentrate on the fishing.” He said all fishing equipment — with felt or without — must be cleaned thoroughly after use to reduce the spread of aquatic nuisance species. Rubber soles make the cleaning easier, but don’t eliminate the need for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...how_index.html

It does make sense. Here on L.I. we have serious infestations of an invasive species called Cabomba weed. Any bit of that can re-root itself in the next body of water you wade into. The felt soles are the hardest to get clean.

Default no big deal

I'm not sure of the place, but I think in Europe that is a problem too. And the Great Lakes have the zebra mussels so boaters have to be careful. We need to do these things to keep the invasive things out, so be it. Or else you have that problem they have in the Mississippi river with all those asian carp flying out of the water down there.

Default cabomba weed

Something I found on cabomba, at first I thought it was something frankiesurf was smoking.
    http://www.peconicestuary.org/InvCabomba.html

If you could smoke that stuff. I would be harvesting and in early retirement by now.

The website mentions the Lower Lake in Yaphank. I have a love/hate relationship with that place. I found a great fishing spot that you have to wade to then find the hidden path then wade some more to another path, back to the water and you have found some semi clear, moving water with great weedlines. I have caught some nice fish in there, it is just a P.I.T.A. to get to. Much patience is involved as is loss of lures on the occasion due to the weeds.

^^^That could be a great early season fishing spot, 2 months after ice out, before the weeds start to grow. Any pickerel or smallmouth in there?

I haven't caught either Pickeral or Smallmouth in there. I have only fished it this year though. I wouldn't think so since my go to lure is a gold Rapala and those Picks love the bling.