Thread: The Cancer thread: Cancer, early warning signs, and detection

Hybrid View

I'm sorry Mick, maybe I was confusing those 2 incidents in my head, thanks for having patience with me. Will continue to hope for the best for you, and put out a reminder for all guys over 30 to pay attention to signs.

If you're feeling a little "off" fatigue easily, etc, and you are sure it's not due to a weight or glandular problem, get your aZZ to a doctor. And it might involve them sticking something in your aZZ for a prostate exam, well man up and do it!

I had one done last year. I wasn't too eager to go, but they knock ya out with anesthesia, ya don't feel a thing (except when you're done and you see the Doc zipping his pants back up!) ::

Seriously, all those homophobic fears kept me away from exams like that, and if you think about it logically, it's just part of a routine exam to get all parts of your body checked. Don't ignore signs guys, and many times you might not even have evidence of disease.

A nagging cough that won't go away, a mole on your arm or back that suddenly changes color or shape, or starts to be painful.....Cancer takes more people than it needs to every year, all because some of us are too macho to go to the Doc, me included.

eff cancer, no cancer allowed in the Effumall club.

Default Cancer early warning signs... Prostate cancer

Some early warning signs of cancer, guys and gals:

http://style.uk.msn.com/wellbeing/mi...mentid=9510204

Cancer: how to spot the early warning signs

MSN's guide to ensure you catch all the early warning signs of cancer. If you're something's worrying you, take no risks and get it checked out...

Persistent coughs, sudden weight loss, mystery spots. Most commonly these unexplained symptoms are down to nothing more serious than a throat infection, inflamed hair follicle or even stress.

But in some rare cases these complaints can signal early warning signs of something much more serious, such as one of the various forms of cancer. Reality TV star Jade Goody, who was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer, reportedly ignored several health warnings before finally being told she had the condition while taking part in the Indian version of Big Brother.

We take a look at some of the red flags that could help you to catch cancer in its early stages and seek appropriate treatment.

(Image © Rex Features)

Prostate
    Cancer of the prostate is now the most commonly diagnosed cancer in men in most western countries – there are 35,000 new cases in the UK every year. The condition is most common in men over 50, but all men should be aware of the warning signs as an early diagnosis usually leads to successful treatment. Symptoms include difficulty passing uring, passing urine often, pain when urinating, inability to urinate, interrupted urine flow, blood in the urine and pain in the lower back, hips and thighs. If any of these apply to you – make an appointment to see your GP straight away.

For more information go to - http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk/

Default Lung cancer symptoms

(Image © Rex Features)

Lung
    Lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer-related death in men and the second most common in women. The disease kills 1.3 million people worldwide every year. Smoking is the primary cause, so it should go without saying that giving up cigarettes goes a long way to preventing the disease. If you must (and you really, really shouldn’t) smoke tobacco, then be aware of the following symptoms: shortness of breath, coughing up blood, wheezing, chest pain, weight loss, fatigue, pain when swallowing and loss of appetite.

For more information go to - http://www.lunguk.org/

Default Skin cancer symptoms

Skin
    Skin cancer is one of the fastest-growing cancers in the world, but it is thankfully also one that is commonly caught in its early stages (any tumours are usually clearly visible on the surface of the skin). Overexposure to UV light is the main cause, so always wear sunscreen or sun-protective clothing when you are out in the sun. Symptoms to look out for include any unexpected changes to the skin that do not heal, ulcers on the skin and any change in appearance to an existing mole.

For more information go to - http://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk/

Default Bowel cancer symptoms

Bowel
    Bowel cancer is the second most lethal cancer in the UK (lung cancer is the deadliest). Over 35,000 people will be diagnosed this year, and for roughly half of them it will prove fatal. However, bowel cancer is also one of the most curable variants of the disease – if it is caught early. So what symptoms should you be on the lookout for? Stay alert to any changes in your bowel movement habits (if you go more or less often that usual), bleeding from your bottom, abdominal pain, lumps in your stomach, fatigue or sudden weight loss.

For more information go to - http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org

Default Testicle cancer symptoms

This would be the freakiest cancer I could get, one I would not want to hear about if I got it. The thing is, early detection here and with other cancers could save your life. I know these things aren't comfortable to talk about, but if your life is at stake, isn't it worth knowing this info?

Testicles
    Testicular cancer is most common in white men aged between 15-35 years, but has an unusually high cure rate of over 90%. So good news for men who worry about the disease (that should be all of you), but early diagnoses is, as always, desirable and experts recommend a monthly self-inspection for any small lumps. Other symptoms include, hardening of the testis, abnormal sensitivity, pain, loss of libido, blood in the semen and fatigue.

It’s all about ball control, chaps.

For more information go to - http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/

Default Stomach cancer symptoms

Stomach
    Stomach cancer causes around one million deaths worldwide every year and is the second most common cause of cancer death worldwide after lung cancer. Common in the Far East, South America and Iceland, stomach cancer has been linked to a diet that is high in salt, smoking and poor diet. Unfortunately, in its early stages stomach cancer is very hard to diagnose, mainly because its symptoms are predominantly non-specific, such as indigestion and lack of appetite. When recognisable symptoms do occur, the cancer has commonly spread to other parts of the body. Symptoms which should give rise to concern are abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhoea, sudden weight loss, constipation, bloating, fatigue, vomiting blood or bleeding from the bottom.

For more information go to - http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/