Thread: Seven Year Old New York Girl Killed at Bar Harbor Maine Attraction in Acadia National

Default Seven Year Old New York Girl Killed at Bar Harbor Maine Attraction in Acadia National

As a parent, that has to be one of the saddest things to watch a child die while you are there and not be able to do anything about it. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...n_site_of.html
    Bar Harbor Maine Attraction Site of Tragedy for Seven Year Old Girl
    August 24, 2009 by
    Mary Zeiher

Seven Year Old New York Girl Killed at Bar Harbor Maine Attraction in Acadia National Park

In Bar Harbor, Maine a seven year old girl was killed, and nine others injured when a vicious wave hit a viewing platform of the popular attraction Thunder Hole in Acadia National Park. The incident occurred just after noon as a huge wave came in swept the spectators into the ravages of the angry ocean. Many visitors do not understand the strength and dangers that can lay hidden behind the incredibly beautiful vistas.

The Bar Harbor, Maine attraction is named Thunder Hole and sits ten to fifteen feet above the water in Acadia National Park right on the coast off the Park Loop road. According to Coast Guard officials other spectators on the platform were able to retrieve two people from the cold ocean water right away.

But three others had to be rescued by the Coast Guard and that count tragically included the seven year old girl who was found a half-mile from the spot where she fell into the ocean. The other two were the father of the New York girl that perished and another twelve year old girl from Belfast, Maine.

The wave was blamed on hurricane Bill and the current maximum sustained winds of 75 miles per hour. While the hurricane just skirted the coast there was certainly enough power to be dangerous near the water.

Having lived in Bar Harbor, Maine for six years it is devastating to both the community and the visitors when these incidents occur. Each year hundreds of thousands of visitors descend on the small ocean-side town of Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. People are drawn to the breath-taking views and all the activities available in the Park and on Mount Desert Island.

Thunder Hole in Acadia National Park is actually a naturally occurring small inlet in th solid rock where the waves come in. There is a small cavern at the end of this spot when the power of the waves arrive against the rock the pressure causes a sound like rolling thunder. It is very easy to spend hours just sitting and taking in the spectacular views of Thunder Hole.

rescue video, amazing, those guys are great!
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/vid...ne.html?cat=64

I was at that thunder hole place a few years ago This platform they say is 10-15 feet above the water, it seemed higher to me at the time. I guess it depends on the moon and tide stage. I would have thought it was safe, it seemed very sturdy. The image of that father losing his daughter in the waves is heartbreaking, that's sad news.

What a terrible accident. Sometimes storms seem to draw you in but they can be dangerous. The sea can be very angry and strike when you least expect it. My condolences to her family.

My heart goes out to that family. One day you're alive, the next day you're not. Completely unexpected. I know some would fault the family for getting so close. I'm sure they regret that decision enough already.

I remember, I think it was last year, when a party of cub scouts on a south Jersey party boat was a little too energetic. One of the kids was jumping up and down, and he slipped in the water and drowned. His father was nearby and wasn't able to help his son, though I think he did dive in for him. Terrible tragedy, that family will never be the same. Thoughts and prayers.