Thread: slot limits, where they are used, and how they work

Default slot limits, why or why not for the East Coast?

I don't know all that science stuff out there, I only know what makes logical sence to me. What is wrong with designing your fishing regulations around a slot limit?
    In Alaska I believe they have strict regulations for salmon, and they are strictly inforced.
    If Florida they have slot limits for all sorts of fish, and woe to the fisherman who is caught with one ouside the limit!
    In Canada they have trophy lakes for pike, and those lakes produce huge pike year after year because you have to put the fish back.
    What would be the roadblock to having a slot limit for striped bass on the whole East Coast?
    Discuss

It make sense to me, take the certain per cent of fish that are a certain size, if you catch one you have to take it home. All the other ones go back. Providing people are careful on the catch and release, that will let the big breeders keep on breeding. I am ok with that.

I like the idea of standardizing things. I am sure there is some scientists out there who have some urgent reason why we can't do this, though.

Hookset, I think striped bass deserve special status, or gamefish status, which would restrict all commercial harvest. That's just my opinion, you may think differently. The folks at StripersForever also think along these lines. You may want to visit their site to learn why.

I did some research on what Florida does. Here is one perspective I found-

http://www.florida-outdoors.com/fsred.htm

Florida Fishing - Species
    REDFISH (RED DRUM)

Regulations Slot limit of not less than 18" or more than 27"; no closed season; one fish per person per day limit

General Information This is one of the top recreational saltwater gamefish in the state. Redfish spawn from August to November in the offshore waters near passes and inlets. September is usually the peak month. Those that survive the open water larval fish stage, move into the estuaries as juveniles where they will live for several years. Anglers sometimes encounter large schools of these young fish, often called rat reds. The schools do migrate although scientists believe that they do not move over great distances.

Distribution At one time the fish was in danger of being overharvested because of commercial activity. It's strong recovery led to the recent change that eliminated the closed season for this species.
    The redfish's recovery from the brink of being wiped out is a direct result of its designation as a "restricted species" in 1989. This ended the commercial harvesting of the fish, a move that ultimately saved the species being wiped out by highly efficient offshore commercial netters. With the change of the redfish's status to a non-commercial species, stocks have been able to recover and the fish is now abundant in many parts of the state. Redfish are now common throughout the coastal waters and nearshore areas of the state. A stocking program in Biscayne Bay has also brought redfish back to this lower southeast coast are for the first time in nearly 30 years.

We had slot limits when I lived in Jersey, and there were lots of stripers.

Quote Originally Posted by jonthepain View Post
    We had slot limits when I lived in Jersey, and there were lots of stripers.
    I remember that, a bit hazy because it was so many years ago. It does seem like a good idea if you said nothing bigger than 40" without a permit. That would mean that the larger ones were considered a gamefish, without pushing for gamefish status. That might be the path of least resistance with the way the jersey politicians have the special interests in their pockets.

I remember when they first suggested slot limits, they made a big deal about how the big cows produced the majority of fry. Like millions of eggs by the big ones vs thousands for the smaller ones.

It only makes sense to keep the mega producers around.

Don't know what happened to slot limits. I was kind of shocked to find out that they are no longer in effect.

By time they come up with a plan they will be wiped out again like last time. Then they will point fingers,only this time its worse because the last time no one saw it coming. This time its evident but people are to stupid to see it, especially the new breed of self proclaimed bass pro's created by bunker.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    By time they come up with a plan they will be wiped out again like last time. Then they will point fingers,only this time its worse because the last time no one saw it coming. This time its evident but people are to stupid to see it, especially the new breed of self proclaimed bass pro's created by bunker.
    I totally agree, something needs to be done soon. There are too many 20, 30, 40 lb fish being caught and kept. With live bait like bunker, it is so easy for the regular fisherman to catch quality fish, let alone the party and charter boats who very easily put their fish on 2 quality fish every time out. There cant be an endless supply of quality fish out there, there must be a huge dent being put in the population.