Thread: Penn's new sealed reel, any opinions?

Default Penn's new sealed reel, any opinions?

I think they said the retail would be around 650. At that price they are competing with VS and Zeebass. Any thoughts?

Penn Torque Spinning

FrameOne-piece aluminumGear RatiosG(Gold), B (Black)

TRQS5-G & TRQS5-B 5.9:1

TRQS7-G, TRQS9-G, TRQS7-B, TRQS9-B 5.1:1DragVersa-DragBearings7+1Line CapacityTRQS5-G & TRQS5-B
    Mono: 12lb/340yds, 15lb/300yds, 20lb/210yds
    Braid: 20lb/550yds, 30lb/400yds, 50lb/290yds

TRQS7-G & TRQS7-B
    Mono: 15lb/490yds, 20lb/340yds, 25lb/300yds
    Braid: 50lb/470yds, 65lb/390yds, 80lb/340yds

TRQS9-G & TRQS9-B
    Mono: 20lb/490yds, 25lb/440yds, 30lb/330yds
    Braid: 65lb/575yds, 80lb/490yds, 100lb/425ydsWeightTRQS5-G & TRQS5-B 19.9oz
    TRQS7-G & TRQS7-B 26.5oz
    TRQS9-G & TRQS9-B 28.5ozOriginMade in USAMSRPTRQS5-G & TRQS5-B $659.99
    TRQS7-G & TRQS7-B $679.99
    TRQS9-G & TRQS9-B $699.99

Available in classic Penn gold or the new black with gold accents, the Torque features an integral clutch sleeve to eliminate any back-play in the rotor, a one-piece aluminum frame with forged aluminum spool and sideplates, and a rugged one-piece handle arm. The 100% stainless steel bail features a unique system under the rotor where the angler can choose between automatic or manual trip at the touch of a switch. A dual arm bail-less kit is available for those who prefer the more traditional style. The high capacity spool is "braid ready," which means the reel is built to withstand the potential strains that braided superlines can put on a reel.

If it is as good as the Price I will give it a shot. I am pleased to see a great American reel company returning to manufacture a quality product in the US.

I am looking forward to holding one in My hand. That being said I don't know if I want to own a first generation of this reel.

The Other thing I want to know is how is the warranty?

The Penn reels of today are not the reels of yesteryear. I like Penn, but mostly use the older ones. They were built to last 50 years and more, and are relatively easy to service. I doubt any reel in the modern market was built with that longevity in mind, except for the VanStaal and Zeebass. We will have to see how the Penn lasts through repeated dunkings.

I am so down on Penn, the current quality control, and warranty they have. The last bad experience I had was with ****'s sporting goods who wouldn't take a 550 back after I used it a short time, and it proved defective. The fact that ****'s has a pretty liberal return policy got me to thinking that they might be having problems with the 550 series, and wanted Penn to deal with the hassles of greater returns.

Somehow that doesn't sit right with me. You build a product, and you and the retailers in your distribution channel should stand behind that product, if quality is one of your marketing draws.

I'll wait and see how the first generation turns out, like Jackbass said. Then I might be willing to take another look at them.

For now, I lost my perception that they make quality branded products, and it will take a lot of solid performance reviews and comments by fishermen who fish hard to get me back to that level of confidence I once had.

Best of luck to them.

I like the fact they are being made in the US. I think that makes a bold statement about their committment to manufacturing here. Everything else with a Penn name on it is now being made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
    Everything else with a Penn name on it is now being made in China.
    And so are the VS's for those that care.

It used to be to keep the warranty, you had to get the VS serviced at the factory. Now they sell self-service kits. I wonder if Penn will do the same or say you have to send the reels in.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    And so are the VS's for those that care.
    Exactly! Penn's High End American Made gear is still some of the best you can get. I hope this new line of Spinning reels does well and is well made.

I own a bunch of old 700 series Penns from when they were the best and one of the more expensive reels of their time. they were purchased when guys that fished for a living knew they needed the best, so they bought the best.
    When they dropped the 700 series, moved production to China, I no longer recognized Penn as even a good product.
    I looked at VS as a potential for ownership, then they moved production to China when they litterally sold out the company.
    I own a Zee, first generation, and absolutely love it. Maybe I'm lucky or some others are unlucky, and have had NONE of the issues I have heard complaints about. I had 1 problem with it, contacted wendy, drove the hour and a half to the plant. They fixed the problem by swapping the old clutch with the new one, serviced the reel, including replacement of all the gaskets and O rings, even though it was not necessary, and walked out with all the money I walked in with. They treated Jake equally as well.
    If Penn does it right, backs up the reel with customer service, and its all it says it will be, I will take a good look at it. My wife will not allow me to buy her a Zee, or even gold jewelry or diamonds, but this new Penn might be the thing for her as she gets in the water with me.
    They need to get rid of that color or offer a differant, more subdued color before I would get one however, the thing looks like it belongs on a gold chain around a rappers neck.
    God is Great, Beer is Good, People are crazy.

Now available online