Thread: flesh eating bacteria kills fisherman

Default flesh eating bacteria kills fisherman

I have heard of this before but never thought about actually getting it from inguries from fishing. I guess we all better stop being such guys with our cuts and make sure it gets cleaned properly asap.

Fisherman Dies From Flesh Eating Bacteria

A 52 year old fisherman from Baytown, Texas dies from flesh eating bacteria after fishing in Galveston Bay. Jesse Shurley was fishing near shore in a small jon boat. The boat tipped over and he scraped his knee while righting it. Shurley felt sick the next day but didn't think much of it. By the following evening, his knee was so swollen and he felt so bad that friends took him to the hospital fearing he may have broken it.

After running some tests the doctors determined what it was and immediately transferred him to another hospital that was better equipped to treat the infection. In hopes they could keep the infection from spreading, the first step was to amputate the his leg. The bacteria had spread so quickly that even after the leg amputation and removal of infected tissue, it continued to spread throughout his blood and many of his organs. All in all it was a three week battle that was won by the bacteria.

These infections, often mild, can become life-threatening for people with underlying medical conditions such as diabetes or hepatitis. Unfortunately, Shurley suffered from hepatitis C.

I share this story with you just to emphasize not to take chances, even with something as minor as a scrape on the knee that begins to have complications. Getting to the hospital a day earlier may have been the difference between life and death. I pray for him and his family, and pray others can learn from this incident, I know I have.

http://www.fishing-news.us/

thats nasty!