Thread: What effect does the line have on your fishing?

Default What effect does the line have on your fishing?

I am interested in finding out more about the different types of fishing lines and the effect it has on fishing. I came across this article so decided to post it. What are some of the decisions you make about line and why?

Effects of your Line
    By Chad Brauer
    Fishing line is often looked upon as the gear that brings fish to the boat. It does, however, serve several other functions. A fisherman needs to consider the total effect of their fishing line before they spool it on their reel.

Your line has distinct effects on the characteristics of your bait. The diameter of your line will determine how deep moving baits such as crankbaits, jerkbaits, and spinnerbaits will go. It also effects how fast bottom bumping baits such as jigs and worms fall in the water column. For example, I use 10 lb Mustad Thor line on a Strike King Series 3 crankbait to target 8 feet of water, but if I spool up with 12 lb, my Series 3 will be running in the 6-7 foot zone. Or if I am casting a Strike King Pro Model jig along a rocky bank on 17 lb Thor, it will fall slower than if I were casting it on 12 lb. You can use these changes to adjust your presentation to fit the conditions you are facing.
    Lighter line also casts farther than heavier, especially with lighter baits. In clear water conditions, this may be very important. It may require a long cast to get to fish so that they are not spooked by your presence. This can also help on lakes that get a lot of fishing pressure. These bass can be spooky, and the farther you are from them, the more likely they will be to bite.
    Do not discount the importance that line plays in the presentation of your bait. Line is not just a connection between you and your lure. I always give this great consideration when I spool up.

http://brauerbass.com/articles/36_ch...ectsofline.htm

Those bass pro's may be able to discern the difference in their lines. I am sure I would be able to if I had all those options. When I fish freshwater I have one of two rods with me. An Ultralight with three pound test or a medium heavy with 8 pond test. Both Mono. These work for me depending on the time of year and what I am going for. I have learned how each works and the effective areas I can use them and am comfortable with how I fish them. I do occasionally fish heavy weeds but here on the Island there just aren't many huge Bass you have to horse through the weeds.

Saltwater is a different ball game. I prefer Fireline but on my lighter outfit I use Sufix. There are also leaders to deal with. It all depends where I am fishing. Rocks, Sand, calm water, etc...