Thread: Montauk - NorEasters and White Water

Hybrid View

No fish in Montauk.

^^ Yup, what he said, no fish in Montauk.

I never had the opportunity to fish Montauk. In the vid's it looked like there were some birds working. I would have thought the weather would have pushed the fish into the surf. Can anyone give some info. on why there was no fish there at that time?

Plugaholic, I should have said "No fish in Montauk, that's what PM's are for". It's kind of a joke, no offense was intended.

Like the famous line from Fight Club.

Since the beginning of the summer, fish have been taken at various places. There is more inconsistency than consistency there. The place is known for producing fish in blitz conditions, but those conditions are not completely happening yet. It is a very tough place to fish, and many get discouraged.

Think about it, if you were guaranteed to catch a fish there every time you went, what would the challenge be? And isn't it more of a challenge to catch fish when they are NOT blitzing? Frustrating yes, but also rewarding.

The best advice I can give you is to go up there and try to learn one spot at a time. There are many, which produce at different times and tides. Throw in a weather pattern like a noreaster, and there will be certain areas that will be on fire, while others will be barren.

If you are serious about learning on your own, try to go on a weekday, when a lot of the regulars are fishin. Get yourself a night sportfishing pass so you can park in the lot. Try to have respectful conversations with the regulars there, carefully asking for advice.

What works for me is I try not to focus on asking about spots so much as how to best fish an area during certain conditions. That's what I respond to best when people ask me. I do tend to ignore people when they're only looking for a spot, and I think you will find that at Montauk as well.

There are also some great guides, Bill Wetzel for surf fishing, and Paul Melnyk if you are ever brave enough to take it to the next level and try skishing.

Many say Montauk is a place fulled with elitists. I don't know if I agree with that. Maybe on the weekends or tournaments, people are sometimes less friendly. Every time I go there I make some new friends.

So, go during the week, fish the low light hours until you are comfortable enough to fish in the dark, and ask respectful questions. People will help you, if you know how to ask the right questions, and genuinely like other people.

And PM's can help too. Check yours, I just sent one.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Plugaholic, I should have said "No fish in Montauk, that's what PM's are for". It's kind of a joke, no offense was intended.

Like the famous line from Fight Club.

And PM's can help too. Check yours, I just sent one.

Thanks for the pm explanation and help, dark.

Thought some of you folks might want to see what the first noreaster at Montauk was like last year.

beautiful!